this old gun

This is a discussion on this old gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here are the pics. Bunker...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this old gun

Here are the pics. Bunker
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

SN is (No 904xxx) Also on the same side of the barrel, M 1911A1 US ARMY

I don't see a need to get either re-finished, both look to have a lot of character, and I would leave them that way.

The 1911A1 looks parkerized to me, not blued.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

They both would be diminished if refinished.

Both appear to have their original finish. I agree that the 1911A1 is Parkerized and it ain't half bad despite the bright spot around the serial number. The little Colt revolver looks quite nice and is worth a premium because of its .22 Long Rifle chambering. It is missing its ejector rod head but certainly may be used without it. Ejector rod heads are available. I'm heading out to the deer woods and will provide some links for ejector rod heads when I have more time.

If you want to know what year the Colt .22 revolver was produced just provide the serial number or at least the first three numerals with X's holding the place of the other numerals.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

ok, so what would these two guns be worth then?

ther is FJA inscribed in metal just rear of the trigger... if you zoom in on picture you can clearly see it. Are these someone's initials? or do they mean something different? bunker

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    ther is FJA inscribed in metal just rear of the trigger... if you zoom in on picture you can clearly see it. Are these someone's initials? or do they mean something different? bunker
    You don't have a Colt frame, you have a 1943 Ithaca frame (by serial number), Colonel Frank J. Atwood was an Army Inspector of Ordnance for Remington-Rand's and Ithaca's from June 15, 1942 to March 31, 1946. That's why your pistol has the "two-tone" effect. Are there anymore letter markings on the gun, such as, RIA, SA, AA, BA, RA, or SAA?

Colt did duplicated these serial numbers, #856405-916404, but Col. Atwood (FJA) did not inspect Colt's pistols.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You don't have a Colt frame, you have a 1943 Ithaca frame (by serial number), Colonel Frank J. Atwood was an Army Inspector of Ordnance for Remington-Rand's and Ithaca's from June 15, 1942 to March 31, 1946. That's why your pistol has the "two-tone" effect. Are there anymore letter markings on the gun, such as, RIA, SA, AA, BA, RA, or SAA?

Colt did duplicated these serial numbers, #856405-916404, but Col. Atwood (FJA) did not inspect Colt's pistols.
    wow, so its not a true colt, its an Ithaca??? we only live about 50 miles from Ithaca NY... BTW, how do you keep all that knowledge in your head without it leaking out???? lol

My guess without actually examining them in person is $850 on the Colt 1911A1 and $500 for the Colt Police Positive .22 Target. These figures are a little lower than most asking prices on GunBroker for identical models in very similar condition but those boys inflate things just a bit. In this economy not too many are biting at the high asking prices seen there. Just because they ask those prices doesn't mean the firearms are really worth those prices. Another way to put it is the old saying we've all heard that has something to do with which hand will fill up fastest.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Didn't notice OD*'s response above or catch the FJA inspectors mark when I looked. I couldn't read the serial number with my bad reading glasses.

If it is a Colt slide on an Ithaca frame then $700 would be reasonable. Nothing wrong with a mix-and-match WWII .45. Lots of them ended up that way. A little less collectible but still very historical.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    wow, so its not a true colt, its an Ithaca??? we only live about 50 miles from Ithaca NY... BTW, how do you keep all that knowledge in your head without it leaking out???? lol
    You have a mix-master.

As bmcgilvray stated, there's nothing wrong with those, there were many field expedient repairs during the wars, could be what you have, or it could have been done in the civilian market. It's still a pistol with some history, and a keeper IMHO. I'd also agree with bmcgilvray on his value estimate, it would be higher if your M1911A1 were an arsenal rebuild and it could be documented.

An awful lot has leaked out over the years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links