this old gun

This is a discussion on this old gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to a friends house this afternoon... He knows that i carry, and he too has his carry permit. My friend has two old pistols ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this old gun

this old gun

Went to a friends house this afternoon... He knows that i carry, and he too has his carry permit. My friend has two old pistols his father left himj when he passed a few years back. They are

1. Colt 1911 A1... serial date googled brought it to 1945. Slide works great, all
    actions worked, I beleieve it was blued, except where someone took some kind of cleaner to where the serial number and took off all the blueing. Looked like a very basic gun to me otherwise.

2. Colt police positive target 22lr... think it had about a 4 or 5 inch barrel on it... not positive. This gun was also blued, but is showing its age quite a bit more. Looked like a lot of space in between chambers... almost like they could have added a few more.

Any idea without photos how much these could be worth? Could i send either back to the manufacturer to have them re-blued???? cost for that??? thanks. Bunker

2. Remove Ads

You could contact Colt. I nearly know they don't take guns as old as the Police Positive .22 and they likely won't take the 1911A1 either.

Hard to say what they would be worth without some detailed photos. It is certain that a refinish won't elevate their value. The Police Positive .22 isn't commonly seen and the 1911A1 is valued because of its wartime connection. Spending several hundred dollars apiece on them won't yield any enhanced worth. Say the Police Positive .22 is worth $300 as is. Spend $250 refinishing it and it won't be worth $550. A Colt aficionado might not even give the $300 for it once it has been refinished.

A Police Positive that is sound mechanically would make a dandy and accurate shooter and last forever.

The Colt 1911A1 would not have been blued in its original configuration if it dates from 1945. It may have already been refinished.

I'll look admiringly at old worn but original examples of firearms in a grouping on a gun show table or in a gun shop case while pointedly ignoring the same models that are slick, shiny, and obviously refinished.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

this old gun
    You know.....one of these days we could hope for a TV series just like 'this old house'. To me, that would be great! "This old gun" (show host?)
    I could see that actually.
    Anyway. I don't know about the 1911A1 you have, but 1945 and in excellent shape...........? I know if I had it, it's market value might not be important to me. The best 45ACP made in year '45 would be a collector from the word go. If its genuine Colt, I'd probably end up trading a vehicle to get into it since the guns I have are off limits for trading purposes. The Colt 22lr target? Your guess would be as good as mine. One thing about them though is that they may very well be worth more in their current condition. I know you mentioned re-bluing. Re-bluing an old pistol might not be the best thing to do if you're looking to sell an original.....especially if you're thinking a new bluing would add to it's worth. One of those things you'll have to seriously think about with the older guns. I'd personally like to have one in good condition close to original. I'd put more worth on one that hasn't been re-done. I judge firearms in many ways to what they'd be worth to me. Like we often say....something with character, and something with history behind it should never be hidden nor make it more attractive for those who don't look at history the way we do and might rather have something more pretty to look at. A gun's real worth lies deep in each and every one of us....that "worth" seldom has a sticker price or face/market value. Re-bluing could be a vital mistake for the value. The 'worth' lies with you.

hmmmmmmmmmm, all good references here. If i offered my friend something for these two guns, what would be appropriate. i will try to have him send some pics so i can put them on here. Bunker

should either of these guns be checked and cleaned by a gunsmith before using if they have been sitting in a box for 60 years? bunker

The safe answer is yes, if you are unfamiliar with their design, features, or operation.

I'd be for scrubbing them up myself, checking trigger sears on both pistols and the operation of the safety on the 1911A1. You're looking for safe operation here and wear that is excessive to the point that sears don't hold and a safety that isn't safe. A look at the revolver's timing would be appropriate. The 1911A1's springs may be tired. An examination of both pistols' barrels for "ringing" from being fired with a barrel obstruction is pretty basic inspection procedure as well. Probably the most critical thing to look for with these two otherwise trouble free designs is evidence of "Bubba" and his ignorant and misguided efforts to repair or customize them. If all checked out then lubricate them and take them out for a shooting "spin."

The NRA "Firearms Disassembly Guide" is your friend as is the internet.

If the Colt .22 is decent you'll fall in love, I promise.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmm, all good references here. If i offered my friend something for these two guns, what would be appropriate. i will try to have him send some pics so i can put them on here. Bunker
    One of two things here.......how much do YOU think they are worth? Then........how much would your friend be willing to accept or what is the bottom line on asking price. If your friend is thinking of selling, there's a reason. Friends are friends, and I'd never screw a true friend not knowing what he's got. Many times in life our friends look for help, and they look to us as their best friends to help them out. If your friend is looking for a quick liquidation of belongings......you do your best to help out in time of need. You either supply what's needed at the time, or you tell them to put it up on gunbroker.com and find it might go to the highest bidder that might be looking for a deal and a quick resale. If you want these firearms....offer your friend what's fair without ever thinking you've taken an advantage. True friends are something you never want to be without. If you can sell them for him ask for a commission. You know your position better than anyone here. Personally, I'll take advantage of larger commercial industries on the deals, and do my friends with an equal opportunity ordeal. Cash in hand is good....if that's what's being asked. Hey....anyone who's sold or traded firearms knows there's things to reckon with. Market value and a deal between friends is something all it's own. Just make sure the seller will never kick themselves down the road for having sold what they will now. You have certain duties and obligations here concerning a true friend.

We absolutely love photos!

my friend Dave did not send any photos yet. He wants to save up for a taurus Judge.. to each his own i guess. I would never purposely screw him over... i have a few buddies at the gun club that could easily appraise (with book) and let us both know how much they may be worth. Bunker

OD*
    You're certain it's Colt M1911A1, and not the civilian Government Model, which would have been blued.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    buy him the Tarus Judge and trade even .... and don't even consider destroying 60+ years of well earned patina.

just my opinion

surv

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You're certain it's Colt M1911A1, and not the civilian Government Model, which would have been blued.
    I did not ssee the 1911a1 on it. I did not look honestly. He googled the serial number and it told him what model it was, and model it was. If it is a 1911 A1, did they only make them in stainless? I take it from your post that the civilian model was blued. I should go and take another look at it. Bunker

No stainless Colts were to be had in 1945.

Get back to us with the serial number and we could tell if it was a commercial or military contract gun.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I did not ssee the 1911a1 on it. I did not look honestly. He googled the serial number and it told him what model it was, and model it was. If it is a 1911 A1, did they only make them in stainless? I take it from your post that the civilian model was blued. I should go and take another look at it. Bunker
    No Sir, there were no stainless M1911A1s (Colt's first stainless pistols were introduced in 1983), only blue (up to around 1941 for Colt's), and Parkerized. What is the serial number? If it begins with No., it's a military contract pistol, if it begins with a C, it is a commercial Government Model. Having the serial would help greatly.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have pics but cannot figure out how to post them. Bunker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links