B B guns and kids - Page 2

B B guns and kids

This is a discussion on B B guns and kids within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The man who introduced me to hunting 50+ years ago when my age was still single digits kept his guns on a rack in his ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B B guns and kids

The man who introduced me to hunting 50+ years ago when my age was still single digits kept his guns on a rack in his son's room, and his son was 2 years younger than me. He must have been doing something right.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Suggestions? Give everyone in their family safety goggles for Christmas. Also give them a copy of the movie "A Christmas Story", and perhaps a free ringtone from the movie of someone saying, "you'll shoot your eye out, kid."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Although I do agree that it depends entirely on the child (and the parenting), I believe a 7 year old is old enough to handle a BB gun safely. I got a Red Ryder right around that same age, and a BB gun pistol within a couple years of that. My dad setup a box with carpet inside of it to attach targets to in our basement. Later, I added a trap at the bottom that made all BBs roll into a cup. A well trained child can be safer than an average adult.

Perfect example, was posted on this forum a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2rK...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlod...eature=related
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I had bb guns by age 7, my son had one by 7 and my middle grandsons and I went to the range this am and shot their (8 and 12) bb guns, several .22 rifles and the older one wanted to shoot an AK. We also shot a pellet pistol and .22 revolver. I love it when my grand kids ask good questions about the family guns and guns in general. My 12 year old wrote a research paper for his sixth grade history class on the guns of WWII--who, what when where and really enjoyed the research. He had personal experience with 1903-A3, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine and researched the Axis weapons as well as the Allied ones.

These guns are put up until they prove they can be safe and observe all safety rules. My children and now my grandchildren all shoot and enjoy it (including all the girls), but they are trained and supervised by adults. I think that most children can be taught the safe handling practices necessary and then prove they have the responsibility to use them. Owning your own personal firearm, be it a BB, pellet, .22, shotgun or high power in our family, means that you have passed the test and are considered responsible by your parents. One grandson will receive his first pellet gun and one his first single shot .22 this Christmas. Now just the 3 year old does not have their own gun.

If we want informed shooters and proponents of the 2A in the future, we have to sow the seeds today. What better way than to involve our families today. I have been involved in youth shooting programs with 4-H and Boy Scouts for 38 years because some families do not or can not introduce these future voters and shooters to shooting as a sport and a right under our Constitution and Bill of Rights..

I come from the earlier the better crowd. Teach them young when they are better at listening and less rebellious. That was common where I grew up. When I see a 6-7 year old at the range I keep an eye on them but I am not nervous. On the other hand I am leery of teenage kids with guns. I have seen to many teenagers who were not allowed to be around firearms as a young child. Then when they get older the parents think its ok to hand them a weapon and let them loose for a days shooting. Teach them young so I don't have to worry about them when they are older.

Michael

I think the kid should have training and taught the safety rules, and to handle it like any "gun"...... it's a good training tool. Then , supervise them until I'm convinced that they will be responsible when I'm not standing there.

Some BB / pellet guns can get 1250 fps. The lowest is about 280 fps.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsor

Live and let live

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I have a relative that is giving their 7 year old a B B gun for Christmas. I am having difficulty with this. Let's face it, how 'responsible' can a 7 year old be?
    They have 2 other small children and lots of pets. The B B gun looks like a real 9 mm handgun. (at Walmart)

He is a good kid BUT one mistake could take out an eye very quickly. I feel this B B gun should be used with parental guidance ONLY. They think it it will make him more responsible and are convinced he should have it. It appears to me that they are treating a B B gun as a toy and they should realize that it's not.

As a side note...At 7 years old he is allowed to play very violent video games of shooting and killing. War and killing is fun for him.

Not sure what to do as the parents get defensive when I try to give them guidance. They think I'm a liberal for having this view. (Little do they know I have a loaded gun on my hip sitting next to them.)

Any suggestions?
    Don't under estimate the kids parents, obviously they have something in mind already, believe me , they would have more difficulty with you and your CC weapon than you for a bb gun.

All thing being equal, yes that kid could blind someone in a second, but also it's possible that you'll shoot your foot in a moment of haste.

Live and let live, is my suggestion, can't raise someone else's kids, can't raise some kid's parents either.
    I think the best you can do is to suggest you can teach the kid to shoot at the same time you teach your daughter, that should give you some control over this situation, be careful how you present the idea. They have to love it for it to work Also get in the bandwagon and buy some safety goggles for everyone involved, and some targets can't get something for nothing. In short: If you don't have a solution, don't even bring the problem into the conversation.
    Go with the glow

Thanks for all the advise.

I think I'm going to try to take an active role in the training. First I'm going to take the father to the range to shoot a real gun and let him see first hand the correct method of safe shooting including the use of googles. Along the way I can try to enlighten him for the need of supervision of the BB gun and that it shouldn't just be given to the child.

However, if my granddaughter is there at ANY time to visit that BB gun WILL be put away or under supervision at all times. It is true that I can't control their kids but I can control mine.

BTW... they are planning to just give him the gun to keep in his room and do with it what he wants. After all it's his gun.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Thanks for all the advise.

I think I'm going to try to take an active role in the training. First I'm going to take the father to the range to shoot a real gun and let him see first hand the correct method of safe shooting including the use of googles. Along the way I can try to enlighten him for the need of supervision of the BB gun and that it shouldn't just be given to the child.

However, if my granddaughter is there at ANY time to visit that BB gun WILL be put away or under supervision at all times. It is true that I can't control their kids but I can control mine.

BTW... they are planning to just give him the gun to keep in his room and do with it what he wants. After all it's his gun.
    I found this, print it out, and point it out to the parents that they are breaking the law by doing this...

Here you go, with links to fla statutes:

http://www.floridachildinjurylawyer....s_and_chi.html

Pursuant to Florida Statute sec. 790.22, minors under 16-years old are prohibited from using, for any purpose whatsoever, BB guns, unless the minor using the BB gun is under the supervision and in the presence of an adult who is acting with the consent of the minor's parent.

Also, a minor under 18-years-old may not possess a firearm. However, there are exceptions. See Fla. Stat. sec. 790.22 for a more detailed list of the exceptions. Any parent, guardian, or other adult responsible for the welfare of the minor who knowingly violates this statute commits a third degree felony.

If you would like to read more Florida laws regarding the use of minors and guns or other weapons please see Florida Statutes, Title XLVI - Crimes, Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms.
    Florida Statute: http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...s/0790.22.html

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I found this, print it out, and point it out to the parents that they are breaking the law by doing this...

Here you go, with links to fla statutes:

http://www.floridachildinjurylawyer....s_and_chi.html

Florida Statute: http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...s/0790.22.html
    Thanks azchevy, I appreciate that very much!
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

If ya can't get them with law and logic, I do not know what to tell you..... good luck!

That's interesting. In Pennsylvania (though there is no state preemption so municipalities can make their own rules up) it is perfectly legal for a minor to possess and use (unsupervised) a bb gun or air rifle IF they are on private land. There is a clause that the bb or pellet can't be fired so as to leave the boundaries of the property. They can't leave the boundaries of the property with it though unless it is unloaded and in a case or securely wrapped.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I got my first .22 at 6. A 7 year old can be very responsible with parental supervision. No child should be left alone with a bb gun. It can teach gun safety, mechanics, and responsibility if it is supervised when the child has it. If it is not supervised that is on the parents. No child should be left alone with a firearm of any type whether it be powder or air propelled. You said your piece, it is up to the parents now, not you. Some people have to learn the hard way.
    I too saved soda bottles at .02 Cents each and bought a BB gun in South Fulton Ky. I was 7 or 8 I think. Walked all over town with it, and nothing was ever thought about it. Wow Different times Eh?
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by boerep View Post
    I too saved soda bottles at .02 Cents each and bought a BB gun in South Fulton Ky. I was 7 or 8 I think. Walked all over town with it, and nothing was ever thought about it. Wow Different times Eh?
    Yep, these days you can be gunned down in the street for whittling wood or even die in a hail of gunfire while sitting on your front porch playing with a hose... by the good guys. Imagine what would happen if we let kids walk around with slingshots and bb guns? Oh the humanity...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I think it really depends on the kid and the parents. Some 7 year olds can be much more mature when it comes to firearm handling and safety than some 15 year olds. Its all about their attitude and upbringing, and the area they live in. I essentially took possesion of my dads bb gun when I was about 6 and started using it unsupervised at about 7 or 8. This was also in a VERY small town in northeastern Montana and also in a different time. My folks had no problem with me wandering around the yard plinking with the bb gun but my mom did voice her dissatisfaction of the "violence" involved with super mario brothers when you could throw/shoot fireballs at mushrooms and turtles.. Different times indeed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links