How to bore sight a rifle: McGyver style

This is a discussion on How to bore sight a rifle: McGyver style within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tonight I finally scored rings that were just right enough in height to allow both the objective and the eye piece to clear the guns ...

Thread: How to bore sight a rifle: McGyver style

Tonight I finally scored rings that were just right enough in height to allow both the objective and the eye piece to clear the guns 1913/Picatinny rail base.

They are cheap rings from Wal-Mart but it'sj ust a .22 and a high mass/heavy one at that so recoil should not be notable enough to require $50 a pair 'quality' rings.

So next thing to do was to mount the rings, then the scope on to the rings, and from there align the scope as on the X/Y axis and to lastly 'bore sight' it.
    This latter item is what I'll cover in detail here.

To bore sight a rifle simply means to coarsely align the bore toward a target at a given distance, preferably one that is distant, and to from there align the scope as within it's rings to match that of the bore as has been 'sighted' manually by eye.

On a bolt gun such as what I'm working with there should be no magazine in the well (if applicable), clearly no ammunition in the gun nor anywhere within sight of the gun...and from there the bolt removed from the guns reciever.
    Doing this on an semi-automatic rifle and/or one that when the bolt is removed does not allow direct view through the barrels bore will then require additional specialized tools not to be covered in this discussion.

Next is to place the gun in or on a _stable_ platform.
    This platform optimally would be a shooting rest.
    But seeing as I do not and never have owned such a device, alternative means had to be located and applied toward same net effect.

I used my kids life size stuffed 'Carl' dog!

With Carl placed upside on his back a top my dining room table braced on one side by the weight of the gun case itself and the gun seated between his legs at his chest area, I found myself with a stable and non-moving surface.

Sorry about the darkness but the dog is black, the gun is black, the scope is black....And I had all the lights on in two rooms at that.

From here I then walked to the far opposite side of my house at my kids play room wall & door.
    Distance between points as measured from the door mounted target to the back of the scopes eyepiece was 42.5" which is a hair over 14 yards.
    For visuals sake this is a half inch wider than a standard sized tennis court as measured from the net posts edge to edge. I very commonly use the tennis court as a point of reference toward shooting sports. The dimensions very often meet every application I find myself needing to relate against.

When bore sighting the further out in distance you can functionally place your target AND still be able to actually see it as through the bore of your specific gun, the better and more inherently accurate you will be as toward both getting your initial shots on paper and aligning the scope to that of the bore.
    Oppositely the closer you are the greater the degree of variance and by that probability to be very coarse rather than fine in your sight in effort.
    The way my current house is configured this is the longest straight shot view I have available on any of three floors.
    I could have taken the gun outside to do this and greatly increased my range, but it was dark & cold outside. As well the bore of this gun is .22LR, which is TINY.
    Out to a given distance the ability to actually see the target through the bore decreases at a point of distance. In my case had I gone another 5 to 10 ft. it would have been improbable that I'd be able to see the target.

Next I'd affixed to the door a target. It was a folded square of green material at 4" square.
    I used green for sake of high visibility against what is a white door so that I could pick it up by sight while looking through the bore.
    I'd made it 4" folded and square because I wanted clean demarcation of the targets edges as well the target needed to be small but not so small that i would be overly difficult to pickup through the bore.
    Most people use a conventional sized target for this such as a 9" circle and that is fine, but remember the goal here is fine degree accuracy as rather than coarse guesstimating.
    The finer you are here the less time you'll have to spend at the rage fine tuning the rig.

The sight 'target'

Shooters position view of the target as from normal shouldered shooting position, with gun remaining in rest

After this I installed the lower half of the sight rings being careful to_not_lose any screws toward the tops.
    This took a little trial and error to best fit the scope with it's 40mm objective to both the rings in spacing length as well to that of the 1913/Picatinny rail for clearance and eye relief.
    When I got it situated I placed the ring tops on and in an alternating opposite pattern

Once the target is set take your time to carefully align as best you can the bore of the gun _first_ toward best you can see/tell the middle of the target.
    Considering the bore of this specific gun is so small I choose to reduce by half the size of the sight target. This will cut down greatly on my odds of inaccuracy.

Next you _carefully_ screw down with light torque the scope ring top halfs.
    In my case each scope ring had two independent straps which worked out to two sets of two screws per base. With this I tightened down the outer most screws per base first at opposite positions. Then worked my way to the inner two straps opposite screws of those I'd tightened prior. I continued this pattern all the way around until every screw was finger tight light. Light meaning loose enough that the scope can be rotated but tight enough to keep the straps on.
    Then while looking through the eyepiece rotate the scope _slowly_ to align the sight bars on a proper vertical and horizontal axis.
    This step is important.
    Tighten down your scope ring screws a final 1/2 to 1/4 turn but do NOT crank down on them. A little goes a lot.

Now align the bore of the gun using exclusively fine movements. It is very easy to miss the target altogether making gross sweeping movement of the barrel.
    Once you pickup the target align the bore toward the center most area of the target.
    At this point _do not touch_ the gun and now look through the eyepiece of the scope.
    With the scope turned down to it's lowest magnification and the parallax set to the proper distance in yardage (mine was set to 15 yds.), the target will optimally be dead center in your cross hairs.
    Of course real world nothing ever works out to be optimal. ; )

In my case the cross-hairs were just a couple about 1/8" high of center and dead square at the horizontal.
    Optimally I'd have a bubble level installed to verify this but for the moment with these rings $10 rings I'm not going to invest the coin.

To verify I replaced the swatch of cloth with a 50 foot bullseye slow fire pistol target.
    It has a 3" diameter black center ring on a field of tan.

View of the target from the shooters perspective

Looking through the bore once more to carefully align it I was able to pickup the ring which through such a tiny bore appears to be a black dot with a ring of white/tan around it.

Not touching the gun at all this is the view through the eyepiece via my cell phone as held from the right side.

It's not going to get any better than that!!!
    No further activity required nor involved.

Next is to take the rig to the range and opposite my norm, shoot the gun off of bags to verify point of impact against point of aim.

Gun = Savage Mark II 'TRR' [No longer in production..Replaced by TRR-SR]
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITRRSR
    Note: same gun as above only without the not MA lawful threaded barrel.

Scope = BSA 'Sweet 22' 3-9x40 Adjustable Objective [No longer in production...Replaced by a much more expensive side parallax adjustment model]
    Part Number = 22-39x40AOCP
    Price = $49 on clearance at Dick's
    http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=345

Rings = Weaver 'Quad Lock' 1" diameter high height for up to 44mm objective lens
    Part Number = 49047
    Price = $8.99 MSRP at Wal-Mart
    http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_ba.../quadlock.aspx

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hope nobody walks in the door.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Hope nobody walks in the door.
    Everyone was upstairs asleep.
    Wouldn't matter anyway as the gun had no magazine, no ammo...And no _bolt_.

It's literally just a metal tube with a scope on top.

- Janq

"On a bolt gun such as what I'm working with there should be no magazine in the well (if applicable), clearly no ammunition in the gun nor anywhere within sight of the gun...and from there the bolt removed from the guns reciever." - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Good method and one I have used before. As far as the range I generally use a lead sled then fire three shots and while keeping the rifle locked in the sled I then adjust the scope to bring the cross hairs to the center of the group. Using this method I have sighted in some rifles using as little six shots.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

MSGT,

That is _exactly_ what I do, almost.

Only I take one shot, adjust windage & elevation at the scope to match that of POI...Make a second shot to confirm POI followed by a third to call it a full confirmed group. Measure for spread.

I don't own a sled nor have access to on so I'll use a set of bags.
    As this gun is just a .22 and it weighs in at 9+ lbs with scope, rings and base I expect there to be no recoil at all so bags will do fine.

The bore sighting took me :30m exactly from start to finish; As I'd had a half hour TV show running via TiVO in the background.
    I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow afternoon to finish up the process.

I'll post pic results to that later and/or video.

- Janq

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    These instructions are all fine, but I really see no point in doing any of this at home. It is very fast and easy to do at the range.

I use Burris Universal Signature Rings on all of my Centerfire rifles. They have the advantage of being adjustable for windage, as well as having inserts that can modify the elevation. I first adjust the rear ring to get the windage correct. If the elevation is badly off, I can then install an extra insert into either the front or rear ring under the scope. Otherwise, it is just then a matter of making corrections in the scope.

Burris Signatures are available in Weaver Zee mount and 22 Dovetail mounts too. Those plastic inserts are wonderful at protecting your scope from getting marked up.

Lead Moderator
    This works bore sighting an AR as well ,but much more fun to go to the range.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    These instructions are all fine, but I really see no point in doing any of this at home. It is very fast and easy to do at the range.
    Yes one can do this at the range too...
    IF
    ...The specific range you are member of allows per it's rules working on firearms at the line. This is not the case for every range.

Not that there is anything wrong with doing so at home, never mind the convenience of having my refrigerator near by along with ability to eat snacks and generally take my time...Without having to transport my kids Carl dog to the range.

I'd started to use Burris Zee rings but locating a set that was below $50 shipped proved to be difficult.
    As well again this specific gun is heavy (high mass including painted nutmeg stock) whihc means very low recoil and by that movement from shot to shot. there is no strong need for very strong centerfire specific rings, and thus at that increased cost.
    I am frugal and cost centric. Spend no more than is necessary for the application/situation, with functional wiggle room percentage.

I posted this toward folk who either have no idea at all what 'bore sight' might mean muchless how to do it, and for folk who think that needing a bore laser or other such common market $40+one time momentary use tools are necessary for success too.

I'll be at the range with it today which is same net effect as having been there to start.
    One would still do the bore sighting _before_ firing. So being at the range or else wise makes no real difference aside from some minor time separation.

- Janq

ntg
    Good method...unless its a semi-auto. Very easy with bolt guns. The only thing easier is borrowing my friends Leupold ScopeSmith Magnetic Boresighter tool. No fancy adapters, just stick it on the end of the barrel and in about 1 minute you're ready to take it to the range. He bought it about a year ago and it's very easy to use. They're not that expensive either.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I use that method on bolt guns and AR15's,on ar15's seperate upper receiver remove bolt carrier group,and then support upper in a rest while sighting in scope to bore,saves a lot on ammo.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I bore sight this way too. I like it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

My first "redneck" bore sighting was done with a white thumb tack on a tree about 50 yards out, the gun propped in a second story window and held in place with towels... got me close enough!

The most recent scope mounting was on my last year's 10/22 Sporter build. With a B-Square mount and Burris Signature rings and working slowly, I made sure the scope was not binding in the rings before I clamped it all down. Diana the goddess of hunting was with me all the way... see the attached photo for the first rounds fired thru this gun ever, without any scope adjustment.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Smitty I LOVE that!!!
    Redneck...Ghetto...McGyver; All in the same family.

So I took off from work early this evening and shot on over to the range (indoor) inviting along a student of mine that is new to the shooting sports.
    He'd never shot a rifle before so I figured what better treat than this, and he'd get to learn some useful stuff too toward equipment setup.

Once we actually got to get shooting, the gun was printing 4" low at 50 yds. as per my bore sight.
    A little tweaking of the scopes elevation settings and several shots later it was pretty much established.
    From there on it was shooting for fun & giggles as well as testing the three different brands and projectile weights of ammunition that I'd brought.
    Consistency is so good that my brand new to rifles and stone novice shooter student placed the same round through a hole not once but twice in a five round string of fire.
    High fives and man hugs were given all around. : ) It's so great to see a new shooter getting all jazzed about the sport.

Right now I'm a bit tired...It;s been a long day and I've got an early morning coming up.
    Tomorrow I'll scan the archival print cards I made (3" square Post-It Notes) for the various rounds I'd brought and will download from my phone the images of the targets.
    We burned through roughly 50 rounds and noticed no shift in POI. This gun is amazing! Felt recoil is nil thanks to over 9 lbs. of mass.
    After that we then ran some drills using my bullseye setup .22 pistol.

Now I'm hoping for a somewhat warm day to come soon so that I can hit the outdoor range and run it out to 100 yds.
    Shooting is sooo much fun! : )

- Janq

VIP Member
    Jang I admire your enthusiasm, and setting to the long and arduous tasks at hand., i.e. rolling up your sleeves and getting to it.

I, on the other hand am lazy by default, and 10 years ago went and bought a Leopold magnetic boresighter, which looks more light the bushnell one pictured below, and highlighted in the C. Hawks article at the link provided.
    It cost me $70 and was the best investment possible.
    Works on any firearm with a scope, you do not need any rods or other apparatus' to go with it.
    Just what you see.
    It gets you on the paper, to then fine tune it to an absolute zero.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bushnell_m...re_sighter.htm

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
    Attached Images
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sponsored Links