Remington 700 Question

This is a discussion on Remington 700 Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Howdy all. I'm interested in getting one of the Remington 700 VTR's, IIRC. That's the one with the muzzle brake on it. I was curious ...

Thread: Remington 700 Question

Remington 700 Question

Howdy all.

I'm interested in getting one of the Remington 700 VTR's, IIRC. That's the one with the muzzle brake on it. I was curious what effect this muzzle brake may have on a scope, being that it redirects the gases from the recoil.

I've heard, but have no evidence of such, that putting a muzzle brake on such a gun can break the scope. I'm inclined to think this might be Gunshop Coffee Table talk, from someone not in the know, but I am not sure. I was wondering if any members here had any information on such.

If it matters, I'm looking at the .308 as a moderate distance coyote and deer rifle, with a maximum range of 500 Yards. The .308 may be capable of more, but I'm not. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Just my thoughts,
    A major, and respected rifle manufacturer, wouldn't put a muzzle break on a rifle that comes without sights, that would break a scope, I mean, that rifle would never last. If the model you are talking about is the one I am looking at here: http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l-700-vtr.aspx It has a 22" barrel, so you are gonna have a significant distance between the brake and the front of the scope. I think it is a non-issue, but that is just me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

buckeye,

I thought it was a non-issue as well.
    The problem is, I have a self proclaimed expert that states that muzzle brakes fracture scopes. After I typed this question out, and posted it, I got to thinking about the Lawson Thumbholes with Muzzle Brakes that I used as a kid. They never busted a scope that I know of. It looks to me like a Gunstore Commando just wants to blow hot air.

Thank you for getting me back on the right train of thought. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

the Barrett 50 BMG's have huge muzzle brakes with no damage to scopes.
    I had a muzzle brake on my AR10 in 308 winchester for awhile with no problems
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I've heard, but have no evidence of such, that putting a muzzle brake on such a gun can break the scope. I'm inclined to think this might be Gunshop Coffee Table talk, from someone not in the know, but I am not sure. I was wondering if any members here had any information on such.
    The Browning BOSS muzzle brake system has been around for decades, and been used on thousands of Browning and Winchester rifles. I've never heard of it causing any scope issues.

You friend has probably been buying cheap scopes. Leupold has full lifetime warranty, even if you are not the original owner.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I've been shooting a contender lately with a muzzle break and a scope. That puts the break much closer to the scope and I've had no problems. I think you'll be OK.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, it won't hurt a scope that's mounted properly. It only directs gasses rearward, not straight back down the barrel. It's the recoil that can break a (cheap) scope, although I hardly consider a .308 as needing a "muzzle brake." It will only make the report all the louder for the shooter. A .458 Win magnum or .375 H&H, yes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    You friend has probably been buying cheap scopes. Leupold has full lifetime warranty, even if you are not the original owner.
    Agreed.

Good luck Biker
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Thank you all.
    After I posted this question, consider it a flatulent brain emission, I realized that I grew up shooting rifles with muzzle brakes and it was never an issue. :DUH:

Biker

ntg
    Non-issue. It is wise to know your gun store "experts" well before you take their opinion for anything more than you paid for it. Many (not all) know little, and the dangerous ones are those that think they know it all.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    buckeye,

I thought it was a non-issue as well.
    The problem is, I have a self proclaimed expert that states that muzzle brakes fracture scopes. After I typed this question out, and posted it, I got to thinking about the Lawson Thumbholes with Muzzle Brakes that I used as a kid. They never busted a scope that I know of. It looks to me like a Gunstore Commando just wants to blow hot air.

Thank you for getting me back on the right train of thought. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    A lot of things can damage scopes, muzzlebreaks are not on that list. Treating a rifle/scope improperly will, and if your local commando doesn't like to put respectable glass on a scope, that would be the heart of the issue.

the Barrett 50 BMG's have huge muzzle brakes with no damage to scopes.
    I had a muzzle brake on my AR10 in 308 winchester for awhile with no problems
    The muzzle brake on a Barrett goes almost entirely out and back, not up. That being said, laying next to one when it is fired sucks, but makes for a good show.

Go for the 700 Biker, I got a 700 SPS in .308 while home, the one with the 20" heavy barrel, it has become one of my favorite rifles. I even only have a decent scope on it (new production Redfield 4x12), and it still shoots amazing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The only thing putting a muzzle brake on a .308 is going to do is make your gun louder, which will help induce a flinch. Before adding a brake on a .308, up the ante on your hearing protection (plugs and muffs) and learn to relax behind the trigger - then try to find someone who already has one and try it out. Have an uncle who insisted on a BOSS Win 70 in .270. After a year of shooting he decided to try my Rem 700 .270 and couldn't tell the difference btwn the two.

Links