How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)? - Page 2

How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)?

This is a discussion on How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd suggest try before you buy. I'd be very surprised if a 92 worked for you given that you have smaller hands. The Beretta has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)?

I'd suggest try before you buy. I'd be very surprised if a 92 worked for you given that you have smaller hands. The Beretta has a big, thick grip.

Personally, I'm not a fan of slide-mounted safeties, for just the reason that you stated -- the safety can get accidentally activated while operating the slide.

VIP Member
    I have small hands I found the reverse to be true regarding Sigs and Berettas: I preferred the feel of the Beretta over the Sigs....I wish I was able to duty-carry my personally owned Beretta 92F Compact over my, then, duty Sig P228 (which had a Sig "short" trigger).

Plus, I'm not a big guy, and I found the concealability of both those two guns on par.....you just need a good holster (IWB holster in my estimation) and big enough clothes to hide either.

As a LEO, I completely agree with Rocky regarding weapon retention issues....which is why in part I favor weapons (if worn exposed) with manual safeties and a holster with at least a Level II retention system....and weapon retention (Lindall) training.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

My dad has a 92FS Brigadeer

It's a bit heavier but it is a nice shooting gun. The trigger is very nice and the SA/DA decocker option is nice as well. It is a big gun though. To me, bigger than the XD in grip size. Neither my dad nor I have small hands so we have not looked at slim grips or etc.

The XD service would be nice from a "family of guns" and same operation every time aspect. The grip safety issue, the lack of Retention II/III holsters, and the advice from experienced people to get a gun with a manual safety speak against it though.

Beretta also makes a factory .22lr conversion for the 92 series. Much cheaper to practice.

I love my 92FS. I got it because that is what the guard issues me. Nice to be able to work the same controls.

I would actually recommend the Centurion instead though for your purposes.

DAO and don't have to worry about the decocker. Just point and shoot.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

Obviously test-fire a 92FS before you purchase.

I love my 92FS and I do have smaller than average hands, so it doesn't fit my hands as comfortably as others (I bought before I tried, stupid mistake ), so you might find the same predicament.

Safety, I can offer no opinions.

Reliability - flawless right out of the box. I've had 800+ rounds through it without so much as a stovepipe or jam.

Good luck and welcome!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

DH and I went gun shopping at Gander tonight. I looked at the 92-FS, the S&W M&P, a Baby Eagle, several Sigs and some other stuff. I found the 92-FS Vertec felt the best. It's slimmer than the other 92-FS.

VIP Member
    Ah yes...the Vertec....an outstanding version of the 92/96 if there ever was one thanks to the redesigned grips....I love my 92G Vertec....the new 90-Two is supposed to have two interchangeable grips....one replicating the dimensions and feel of the regular 92/96 and the second replicating the Vertec.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I also have small hands

A lot of people suggested a Glock to me, but it really felt like trying to wrap my hands around a cinderblock. I went with the 92FS and I have never regretted it. Fits my hands great. It is a little hard to conceal in the Florida heat, but it can be done, even by a small frame person like myself. It has probably had over 3000 rounds of various makes and weights and it digests them like that guy that eats all the hot dogs...no problem. No misfires no stovepipes, no FTF, and no FTE. I do agree with one of the other posters about getting quality mags though. I thought I had a problem last year, but it was a POS promag that I paid 10 dollars for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links