How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)?

This is a discussion on How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been working event security and the boss has indicated he'd like me available for armed work. Finding a Level II or III duty holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the Beretta 92-FS (duty gun)?

I've been working event security and the boss has indicated he'd like me available for armed work. Finding a Level II or III duty holster for the XD SC that takes less than 5 weeks to ship is pretty dismal. Besides, a girl can never have too many guns.

I went through a number of potential duty weapons at the gun shop (Glock 17, XD 45 service, Beretta 92-FS and a few others). I crossed off the Glock because I really don't like the way it feels in the hand. Too big and clumsy in the grip. I crossed off the XD service because, as the man pointed out, if I have to draw in a hurry, with my little hands I could very easily miss the grip safety (not an issue with the SC) and create another problem.

I liked the feel of the Beretta best. There's just one thing I'm not thrilled about and that's the slide-mounted safety. Basically, if I do not pay attention while working the slide, I end up switching the safety on. I do plan to carry with the safety off and hammer down on a loaded chamber.

Questions:
    1. Given my particular challenge with the manual of arms, should I look for another weapon?
    2. Is the 92-FS known to have any reliability concerns?

How about a Hk ? Frame mounted safety can be carried safety off for first shot DA then SA after

Course a 1911 would be nice to. If your worried about the beretta safety they way it works i would look at something else

As for reliability cant say don't own a beretta pistol

Assistant Administrator
    If cost was not an obstacle - maybe consider one of the many SIG options - providing you can be happy with DA/SA.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The Beretta 92-series semi-autos are excellent firearms. They are the paragon of reliability (provided you stick to quality magazines like OEM, Mec Gar, or MDS...or yes, Checkmate). They are "out of fashion" especially with LE agencies since they don't have polymer this-or-that or have a short-arc trigger (a'la Glock).

My Beretta 92's are all excellent and accurate shooters made even better with the inclusion of a Beretta "D" or 1911 mainsprings which drops the trigger pull weight in DA/SA a couple of pounds lighter (and smoother).

If you elect to go with the Beretta, you can always keep the decocking/safety lever in the "FIRE" (up) position....bear in mind that it can go back to the "SAFE" (down) position without you being aware, so if don't train to off-safe your weapon, you might find yourself in a world of hurt at an inopportune time.

That said, may I suggest you seek out a Beretta 92D (aka, "slickslide") or 92G. The 92D's are double-action-only guns (with a long and heavyish...but smooth....trigger pull) while the 92G's have the lever, but it is spring loaded and operates solely as a decocker. Pushing down with the lever to decock your weapon and releasing the lever results in it springing back up to the "FIRE" position.

Beretta has introduced two recent editions to their 9mm line: the Px4 and 90-Two. I've only held a 90-Two in my hand in SHOT Show 2006, but it felt ok. I big plus for the gun is it has interchangeable backstraps and a light rail for those persons interested in them. I've fired the Px4 and it's a great shooting plastic gun! I will likely buy one in .45 ACP whenever they come out.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    The Beretta is a fine choice. It has a fast lock time and good let off. If you can carry a gun that size the Beretta is a good choice. A friend even had a Beretta that had a squib in the barrel and was fired again. The barrel bulged slightly, but the gun continued to function fine after that.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

If the XD is too large for your little hands then you may not be happy with the 92. The Beretta has a large grip which some people with small hands find to be too large. They are generally very good shooters with pretty decent triggers. For uniform wear they are a viable option. However, they are a big gun which can be difficult to conceal if that is necessary. If the grip works for you and you don't need to carry it concealed then the 92 would be a very good option to consider.

JD
    Administrator

how bout a Para

I would suggest a single stack para ordnance LDA. You'll have a smaller grip that's easier to handle and easy controls to handle. It's been stated that the LDA is better for LEO and security work due to the fact that you won't be cocked and locked but that's personal opinion. I have multiple of each type of 1911 and don't hold one over the other. My wife is 5'4" and 106lbs and has the smallest hands I;ve ever seen and she has no problem with the grip size of the 1911.

Paraord.com

I have a Beretta 92FS...grip is a little large for me, but manageable--have carried it as a duty weapon--but don't like the large griip.

Give a P229 a chance...either in 9mm or .40 (you didn't indicate a caliber preference)

Mike in VA

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar

Beretta 92FS

This is the same pistol the military currently uses (M9). I carry it on duty every day (Dept. of the Army Police Officer). I have to carry full metal jacket ammo. The pistol itself is great, the ammo I have to use leaves alot to be desired. If you get one definitely use hollow points in it. Another posibility is the Beretta 96. It is the same pistol but in 40 S&W, a better caliber (in my opinion). The holster that will carry the 92 will carry the 96. Just for reference the military is considering going back to a 45 because the 9mm doesn't have the desired effect in actual combat. At least that is the reports coming from Iraq are saying. Like I said if you use the 9mm use hollow points. When I did private security (more than a decade ago) I carried my personal 92 with HP's every night and felt adequate with them. Otherwise the 92 is a very good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt
    If the XD is too large for your little hands then you may not be happy with the 92. The Beretta has a large grip which some people with small hands find to be too large.
    Perhaps some clarification is in order. My hands are smaller in both dimensions (length and width) than the average man's hand. I may run into trouble with guns with longer grips, like the XD Service, if they have a grip safety.

I have held the Beretta and did not find the size of the grips an issue in any dimension.

All, thanks for the feedback so far.

As for caliber, it needs to be 9mm. I WILL use JHP, and we've standardized on 9mm for handguns.

I'm still processing the safety issue. I will have only one duty gun (open carry), so I won't have to learn a new safety system. My CC gun is the XD SC, which has no safeties to switch off before firing. Since the grips are so short, I don't have to worry about missing the grip safety.

My question now is whether it is worth it to look for a gun without external safeties, one whose safety will remain disengaged even if jostled, or just practice thumbing the safety off at every draw. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Olivia Chillia; July 11th, 2006 at 09:52 PM. Reason: (Added comments)

Excellent firearms. The 92FS was my 1st firearm....so it has I special place in my heart. I recently bought a Beretta PX4 in 9mm which is a melding of the 92FS and the Beretta Cougar. I LOVE IT!!!! More accurate than most guns I have owned, comes with 2 17rd mags, and can buy new for under $500. Also comes with 3 interchangable backstraps that are ideal for custom fitting to different sized hands. As far as holsters----Beretta has a nice leather fitted one with a retention strap for $65, Galco makes a few, and a couple custom holster makers have begun to jump on the PX4 wagon.

There are a number of reviews on this forum if you search "PX4". Also, check out the Berettaforum.org.

If I hadn't told you yet....WELCOME to the Combat Carry!!!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Olivia,
    Make sure you handle a SIG. Try a P228 or a P229 in 9mm. No safety to worry about and in my opinion a better pistol than the Beretta.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There are many different variants of the 92. There is the double action only (DAO). Also you could carry LAPD style; decocked, safety off, hammer down. Check the Beretta website to see all the different variants. Remember when you clean it don't use a toothbrush in the magazine well. You could lose the trigger bar spring. Use a magazine swab for it.

erh

Exclamation 92fs...

Olivia,

I am a SIG kinda guy... I, like "Doc" above, much prefer the "feel" of a SIG; particularly the P228 if it must be 9mm, but must admit the 92FS (or M9's) are very good firearms just "Be sure!;" (Also stated above..!) to do your "Off safety drills" and all will be well if the 92 does actually fit your hand..! My .02
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Lead Moderator
    A few thoughts. I have smaller hands and found the 92 to be too big. Any thumb safety to me is awkward and poorly set up.
    For uniformed or open carry and concerns with weapon retention I would want a gun with a manual safety and mag disconnect safety. Also weapon retention drill or training would be an excellent idea.
    Finally, I prefer to have all my duty guns to have the same or similar safety operation. (helps to not need to think how the safety works in a crisis)
    I find a HK USP works well for me with the 1911 style safety and recoil reduction system. It may or may not work for you. Second choice would be a safety less Sig(mag disconnect option) and a good retention holster. Consider a good amount of PD get shot w/ their own weapon.
    Whatever your choice , stay safe and good luck finding a gun that fits you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links