Single six .22 - Page 2

Single six .22

This is a discussion on Single six .22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For some reason I just like blued handguns....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single six .22

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    For some reason I just like blued handguns.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    They are great guns, no doubt. Now, something you should keep in the back of your mind is that the 22 mag is larger in diameter than the 22lr. For both guns to fire the different diameter bullet, the bore diameter of the barrel is made to favor the mag. This will effect the accuracy of the 22lr, due to the more loose bore and longer than necassary cylinder jump.

It may not be enough to matter for your purposes, but I felt you should be aware of this.

If small game hunting is the primary use of this gun than you may want to stick with a dedicated 22lr or be prepared to only you your mag cylinder loaded with mags , which can be very, very loud.

Really? It seems everywhere I read people say how accurate it is. The primary purpose would be squirrel hunting, you don't think it would fire .22lr accurately enough to reliably take squirrel head shots? of coarse that's saying I can do my part on the aiming end.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    That's a neat little gun. I shot one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it. And with the 22 WMR cylinder in it pulls over 1500 fps out of the barrel!

I would get the blued one.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Mine is very accurate with 22 lr. I don't think I have shot more than 12 or 18 rounds of 22 mag through mine. This is my second single six. I had blued, now I have stainless. I think the blue looks better. Also have the Bearcat which is 22 lr only but it has fixed sights. My Bearcat shoots to point of aim with fixed sights. I think the Bearcat is a little sweeter.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

They are great guns, no doubt. Now, something you should keep in the back of your mind is that the 22 mag is larger in diameter than the 22lr. For both guns to fire the different diameter bullet, the bore diameter of the barrel is made to favor the mag. This will effect the accuracy of the 22lr, due to the more loose bore and longer than necassary cylinder jump.

It may not be enough to matter for your purposes, but I felt you should be aware of this.

If small game hunting is the primary use of this gun than you may want to stick with a dedicated 22lr or be prepared to only you your mag cylinder loaded with mags , which can be very, very loud.
    I just did some research, the .22lr and .22mag bullets are the same diameter it's the mag case that's a larger diameter than the .22lr case that's why there are two different cylinders with the single six. The bore should shoot the .22lr with the same accuracy as the .22 mag the bullets are the same diameter.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

They are great guns, no doubt. Now, something you should keep in the back of your mind is that the 22 mag is larger in diameter than the 22lr. For both guns to fire the different diameter bullet, the bore diameter of the barrel is made to favor the mag.
    Ummm... actually, the .22 Mag and the .22 LR bullets are only 0.001" apart, with the Mag indeed larger at 0.224" - and the difference is virtually meaningless. However, the cases are different. The LR uses a "heeled" bullet and the case is close to the bullet outside diameter, whereas the Mag bullet fits entirely inside the mouth of the .22 Mag case. So the approach Ruger took with the Single Six - i.e., the same barrel but with different cylinders to accommodate the different case diameters - works well for practical purposes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

^ correct. So I guess the the question that will seal the fate is will the single six be accurate enough with .22lr to reliably take head shots on squirrels given I do my part?

Was just trying to imput something that noone had mentioned, no skin off me. I have known about this since I was a kid, and I never had accuracy that was acceptable to me from the convertible. Of course accuraccy is a subjective thing.

Buy what you want, they are very useful guns for plinking, using on a trap line, tackle box or bigger varmits like coons and coyotes, but for me they will not do for small game hunting, with the 22lr anyway.

Even in a 357mag where the 38 spl can be used, and they are both the same diameter bullet, it is rare to find a magnum that shoots the special as accurately.

Hell, don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

My advice is a 22lr specifically so chambered and properly barreled for that round.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    ^ correct. So I guess the the question that will seal the fate is will the single six be accurate enough with .22lr to reliably take head shots on squirrels given I do my part?
    if you are serious about headshots, the convertible will not deliver consistant results AT the varied ranges you will find and shoot at squirrels and rabbits.

If you really want a versatile hunting revolver, by an older model target grade 38 spl, or use a Gov model Ruger mk 2 pistol. With the target grade 38 you can use lite target loads that will give you great accuracy, or load it to higher loads for bigger stuff. As for the ruger auto pistol, I have not seen one that would not easily outshoot a single six.
    Or get a Smith&Wesson 22.

The convertible has another strike against it that may or may not be a factor, depending on your single action shooting expertise; and that is slower lock time, or the time it takes the hammer to fall after you pull the trigger.

hmmm definitely something to think About, thanks Glockman. Like I said, my main purpose for it will be small game and I want to be able to have very accurate shots.

Any suggestions on a smith .22 revolver that will fit the bill?

If it is to be a dedicated small gamer, smith makes one with a six inch full underlugged barrel. Not sure of the model number, but it would be that one if I were gonna choose one. I don't believe in scopes on sixguns, but it is already drilled and tapped for mounts.

It will be dedicated to small game hunting, no need for a scope but a mount is always nice to have just in case. If you figure out the model # let me know.

This is why I asked before I went and spent $400, while I would love to have a single six in the collection it might not be accurate enough for what I want it for.

Single six is a great versatile gun, but you will be much happier with the results achieved from the smith. Check out their website. I can't keep up with all the new models. You can also find some of the older ones at shows.

Looks like possibly the model 17 or the newer model 617? You think that would be much more accurate than the single six?

What makes the smith much more accurate than Ruger anyway?

Hard to say... all are pretty accurate guns. My vintage M17 is a tad more accurate from a steady rest than my Single Six, but from a purely recreational or "minute of squirrel" standpoint it would be hard to claim one is appreciably better than the other.

I'd say follow your emotions and what feels good in your hand. A good S&W (DA/SA) versus a Single Six (SA only) is a tough choice!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links