Single six .22

This is a discussion on Single six .22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about picking one of these up to pistol hunt some squirrels. I found a brand new one with both .22lr/.22mag cylinders, blued ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single six .22

Single six .22

I was thinking about picking one of these up to pistol hunt some squirrels. I found a brand new one with both .22lr/.22mag cylinders, blued with a 5" barrel for $390. Looks like the MSRP is about $499, would you guys jump on it?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Back when man first upgraded from rocks, I bought an old foreign-made SA .22 western revolver that honestly had trouble hitting the ground at three paces. It was, however, a lot of fun trying to hit anything! The H&R 929 I picked up afterwards was just the opposite, would put the bullet right where you aimed (if you aimed right!).

I haven't a clue on the going price for what you're looking at, but I'm sure you have fun with it. Always heard good stuff about it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A stainless Single Six with 22 LR & 22 Mag cylinders was the first handgun I ever owned, and it remains one of my prized possessions. The thing's built like a (very small) tank, and it'll shoot far more accurately than its owner's ability.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Not exactly a home defense gun, of course ... but for plinking, introducing kids (& wives!) to handguns, and reducing the varmint population, it's an all-around great choice!

Rev Doug

Yea I mainly want it for small game hunting. Shooting squirrel with a rifle is fun but I love the challenge and skill of handgun hunting.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

My wife freaked when I stuck mine out the kitchen window to dispatch a large gray that was in the wrong place at the wrong time... I love my single six, with either cylinder, it is a great shooter and natural pointer. Too much fun, and like most Rugers, you would have to work hard to break it. Also used it to introduce my kids to handgun safety.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

So I take it that's a decent price and I should go for it? Sounds like it will do what I want it to. I would rather have the stainless but he has the blued in stock.

$390 seems to be the going price. Great little gun and very accurate. I own two and wouldn't part with them.

Ok boys and girls, I can get the blued for $390+ tax or the stainless for $439+tax. You won't make the decision for me but in that situation which would you pick?

VIP Member
    Have you thought about a used S&W for that price?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Yea just have not found one locally.

I have had a blued Single Six for 25 years. It gets a lot of use and shows very little holster wear. I prefer stainless, however, and for the difference in $40, I'd go stainless. One way or the other, the Single Six is as good a .22 as any you'll ever find. I love mine.

Blued.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I would go stainlesss.........
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

My Single Sixes are stainless. If I were to buy another it would be stainless as well.

They are great guns, no doubt. Now, something you should keep in the back of your mind is that the 22 mag is larger in diameter than the 22lr. For both guns to fire the different diameter bullet, the bore diameter of the barrel is made to favor the mag. This will effect the accuracy of the 22lr, due to the more loose bore and longer than necassary cylinder jump.

It may not be enough to matter for your purposes, but I felt you should be aware of this.

If small game hunting is the primary use of this gun than you may want to stick with a dedicated 22lr or be prepared to only you your mag cylinder loaded with mags , which can be very, very loud.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links