Whats on YOUR list for new year?

This is a discussion on Whats on YOUR list for new year? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mini 14 tactical, need a new project gun....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats on YOUR list for new year?

Mini 14 tactical, need a new project gun.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm a simple man...
    Another Glock or two...
    your doing pretty good with that closing out 2010!!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Kimber CDP compact - on its way monday
    Kimber Eclipse custom in 10MM
    Colt XSE combat elite
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Walther P22 w/ built-in laser sights.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    After shooter and gun choking badly at the local steel match last night, the revised 2011 list includes:
    - membership at the range
    - a few hours of private instruction
    - reloading equipment!
    - getting back on the wait list for Defensive Pistol at Thunder Ranch
    - another EAG Tactical carbine course

I have almost enough guns; I need to improve the ones I have. The Ruger 77 needs to get the Timney trigger installed; the TRP needs a lower front sight; the Dick Special needs to move to the head of Grant Cunningham's wait list to get reworked; the CZ-75 needs a full action and trigger job; the new AR needs a sling, a rear BUIS and a white light mount; and Mrs. Smitty's M63 needs to have its action smoothed up.
    Man, that's quite a shopping list but it's actually closer inline with what I also need. I was supposedly on Grant’s list but never received my confirmation. Anyway, I ultimately pared down while Hamilton Bowen did a super fine job! On the short list, I’ll pick up the desired range gear and ammo so when the pistol course opening is available I’ll be ready this time around. Perhaps we’ll meet at some upcoming event.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by Saber; January 1st, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I actually own way too many guns. I thus plan to sell off or give away to relatives about 40% of my current gun collection.

So my goal for 2011 is to have a gun collection that can fit inside my largest gun safe. And to do that, will mean unloading about 14 long arms and probably 4 handguns.

I will keep all of my favorite hunting and shooting firearms. But I am going to give all of my Dad's guns to family members. I'm even going to give away my two best collectables: my gorgeous Browning Auto-5 that I got from my Dad and my awesome Winchester 1897 too. So the best guns I plan to unload will go to relatives, and the rest I will simply sell off. I'm only going to keep two of my four rifles in .243. I've also have two rifles in .22-250 While they are both real nice, I will keep the better one, and give the other one ( a gorgeous Browning A-Bolt Medallion Grade ) to family.

Now that I am older, I just don't shoot and hunt as much as I used to when I was young. And over the years I have simply collected too many guns. Far more firearms than I have time to use. So I might as well let others enjoy these fine guns, rather than let them continue to sit inside a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I actually own way too many guns. I thus plan to sell off or give away to relatives about 40% of my current gun collection.

So my goal for 2011 is to have a gun collection that can fit inside my largest gun safe. And to do that, will mean unloading about 14 long arms and probably 4 handguns.

I will keep all of my favorite hunting and shooting firearms. But I am going to give all of my Dad's guns to family members. I'm even going to give away my two best collectables: my gorgeous Browning Auto-5 that I got from my Dad and my awesome Winchester 1897 too. So the best guns I plan to unload will go to relatives, and the rest I will simply sell off. I'm only going to keep two of my four rifles in .243. I've also have two rifles in .22-250 While they are both real nice, I will keep the better one, and give the other one ( a gorgeous Browning A-Bolt Medallion Grade ) to family.

Now that I am older, I just don't shoot and hunt as much as I used to when I was young. And over the years I have simply collected too many guns. Far more firearms than I have time to use. So I might as well let others enjoy these fine guns, rather than let them continue to sit inside a safe.

Lance,

I've been wanting to tell you this for a while...

GOOD NEWS, the amnesia wore off the other day and I remembered that I am your very close cousin who's only wish left in life is a fine rifle. Let me know when I can swing by and pick it up.

Thanks
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

One of the following:
    * Blackpowder rifle (likely from Thompson Center)
    * Tac/precision rifle (Either a T/C Icon 'Warlord' as 1 st. choice or something from either Les Baer or CZ)
    * AR in a heavy caliber such as the new .300 AAC Blackout
    * Combat/duty revolver from either Ruger or S&W; Most likely chambered in either .327 Fed. Mag. or .357 Mag.

The blackpowder rifle is pretty much a done deal, on the list simply for academic reasons.
    The rest at least one will happen with preference being in the order as detailed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Lance,

I've been wanting to tell you this for a while...

GOOD NEWS, the amnesia wore off the other day and I remembered that I am your very close cousin who's only wish left in life is a fine rifle. Let me know when I can swing by and pick it up.

Thanks

Shoot, Coder, I did not realize that we were family.

The bad news is that just about all of the rifles that I am unloading are already spoken for by others in the family. The only one that isn't is one of the .243's

It is nothing real special, but it is a good solid rifle that shoots just fine. It is a Ruger Model 77 Mk II All Weather Stainless Steel model. The .243 is my favorite rifle cartridge by far, because it is so extremely versatile. ( I did sort of go overboard in buying 4 of them, though, I have to admit. Ended up with way more rifles than I could possibly use. ) .243 recoil is very light, so you can shoot it a lot without feeling beat up at all.

It is so much fun to shoot jackrabbits or coyotes with this round. Jackrabbits just go splat, and coyotes drop like they were hit by a thunderbolt from Zeus. And I know that you have lots of those in Utah, just like we do here in Eastern Oregon. But the .243 can be very deadly on big game too, as long as the range is reasonable. Out here in the Western part of Oregon where I live, it is actually a very popular big game hunting cartridge, as our Blacktail deer are quite small in size. People here use it to take Blacktail deer, Black Bear, and Cougar. And it is a decent round for taking Antelope too.

I live 800 miles away from Salt Lake City, so it probably would not be very practical for you to stop by in your car. But I will be glad to ship you the rifle, with just the following two conditions:

1) That you agree to post a photo of yourself with the rifle here in this forum in the General Firearms section after you receive it.

2) That you agree to reimburse me for my shipping cost for me to have my FFL send it to your FFL. I'll take your word of honor that you will agree to do this after you receive the rifle.

That's it. That is all that I ask in return. You have caught me here today still feeling the Christmas Spirit.

Anyway, think it over, and send me a PM if you would like me to make arrangements to ship the rifle to a FFL near you.

There is no scope on the rifle anymore, but it has the Ruger factory stainless rings on it, so it is all ready for mounting a scope. I only hunted twice with the rifle, and it still looks like new. I'm confident that only about 100 rounds have been through it. I still have the rifle's manual, so I can include that with it.

Again, it is nothing special, but it is a solid hunting rifle. So if you are looking for something to have some fun killing game with, this rifle can get the job done fine.

Here is a photo of what it looks like:

Distinguished Member
    - Lots of training.
    - SIG 220 Carry Dark Elite.
    - Defensive shotgun.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; January 1st, 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling

RKM
    SA GI .45 1911
    Savage Arms 11 FCXP3 .308

Maybe a Glock 20 or Sig P220carry

More training
    A good gun safe
    Aimpoint for the AR
    M&P .40 full size

Not necessarily in that order.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Waiting for delivery of my new SR9c, and a new wall safe.
    Next a new Spyderco blade.
    Then depending on "disposable" income- sell or trade a Sigma for something... M&P, Sig, Kahr, Walther, Glock??

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hmm. I think 2011 will be a year of consolidation rather than acquisition, for me. The preceding years saw much acquisition, and 2010 closed with two rifles being sold off.

I dream of a 1911 in 2011; a tribute to a century of 1911s, and my half-century on this earth. The down side is that I will almost certainly have to make a painful trade or two or three. I have a Les Baer TRS, which I will not sell/trade, and any new 1911 would have to be just as high-end, or higher, to be interesting. A Baer Thunder Ranch Home Defense is piquing my interest. Really, a 2011 1911 is probably not financially realistic. Perhaps 2012 or 2013, or perhaps 2014. I may retire from policin' in 2014, after 30+ years; that might be a better occasion for a high-end 1911.

I may acquire a spare AR15 lower, either complete or built, as I have two complete uppers, but only one lower.

I could use a spare optic, preferably a second Micro Aimpoint T-1. I carry an AR15 on police patrol, and better than BUIS is "BUO."

A precision AR15 stock is on the look-see list.

I have a Browning Takedown BLR that could use a forward scope mount, and a scout-type optic.

I would like to mount an optic on a handgun, probably using a Warne or Weigand mount on a revolver, but perhaps an EGW mount for a Docter Optic on a 1911.

1. some sort of .22 rifle maybe one of the AR look alikes
    2. Subcompact springfield xd or subcompact glock im back and forth what one i want
    3. some extras added to my current firearms

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links