What's a Colt Python worth???

This is a discussion on What's a Colt Python worth??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went into a LGS today and there in the showcase was a Colt Python 6" blue. The LGS owner doesn't have the box. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What's a Colt Python worth???

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

What's a Colt Python worth???

I went into a LGS today and there in the showcase was a Colt Python 6" blue. The LGS owner doesn't have the box. He is selling this for someone who bought a rifle from him. There is no rust on the gun at all, trigger sure is smooth like all Pythons and he says he needs $850.00 for it. Is the python worth it or would you pay this amount for one? Thanks,
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Condition is everything but, for a 6" blue Colt Python in say 95%+ condition you honestly cannot lose paying $850.00 - Go to gunbroker.com & type Colt Python into the search block.
    There are usually quite a few of them on there in Nickel, Stainless Steel & Blue and in various barrel lengths and degrees of condition.
    Scroll through them all and click on the 6" Blue Pythons and compare the one you want with the photos and asking prices.

Keep in mind though that some GunBroker sellers always ask a premium price and their guns often do not get bids.

For a nice condition Python that has not been screwed around with you're usually safe paying any amount under a grand.

MINT condition & Vintage N.I.B. (of course) fetch much more.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have seen some Pythons above $1000. Three years ago I bought a 4" Python for $800 out the door. If you want a Python $850 is a decent price for one in good shape. I got my 6" Python in 1979 for $375 and looking at what they are going for today I'm glad I did.
    Last edited by Black Knight; December 28th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

You guys are making me cry...

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I would think unless its in horrible condition you would be picking up a decent deal. I have had mine for two years now and absolutely love my Python!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Took one in on trade last week. Blue, 6", box and all papers and 99% condition. It was priced at $1500 and lasted less than a day in the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I have seen some Pythons above $1000. Three tears ago I bought a 4" Python for $800 out the door. If you want a Python $850 is a decent price for one in good shape. I got my 6" Python in 1979 for $375 and looking at what they are going for today I'm glad I did.
    Yea I should have bought one around 1979 or 80 for about 400.00 and didn't do it. I been kicking myself ever since. I will have to inspect this one again and more closely. Thank you.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    You are probably right Ret. So why don't you buy it for me. You know I will sing at your funeral if I'm still around. We're both just worn out ole farts.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have a few and its all about what set up they are and what condition. There are Pythons worth over $5000 all day and unless its rusty or beat up I can't see one being worth less than $800 retail.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Pythons have become collector guns, and are selling for a lot of money these days, if the gun is in excellent condition. That is an extremely low price, so I am assuming that the finish on the gun must have a lot of wear. If not, then it would be a steal.

Some Pythons are selling for real big bucks. The 2.5 inch snubnose and stainless steel models are the hardest to find, and thus now command exorbitant prices.

Here are some examples:

4" Stainless Steel Python: $2,250

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209011143

2.5 inch Nickel finish: $2,600:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208005065

6 inch Blue Finish in good shape: $1,600:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208564812

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Condition is everything but, for a 6" blue Colt Python in say 95%+ condition you honestly cannot lose paying $850.00 - Go to gunbroker.com & type Colt Python into the search block.
    There are usually quite a few of them on there in Nickel, Stainless Steel & Blue and in various barrel lengths and degrees of condition.
    Scroll through them all and click on the 6" Blue Pythons and compare the one you want with the photos and asking prices.

Keep in mind though that some GunBroker sellers always ask a premium price and their guns often do not get bids.

For a nice condition Python that has not been screwed around with you're usually safe paying any amount under a grand.
    MINT condition & Vintage N.I.B. (of course) fetch much more.

^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I have seen some Pythons above $1000. Three years ago I bought a 4" Python for $800 out the door. If you want a Python $850 is a decent price for one in good shape. I got my 6" Python in 1979 for $375 and looking at what they are going for today I'm glad I did.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Is one of those "If I'da only known what they'd be worth 35-40 years from now"

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    You guys are making me cry...

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    I went into a LGS today and there in the showcase was a Colt Python 6" blue. The LGS owner doesn't have the box. He is selling this for someone who bought a rifle from him. There is no rust on the gun at all, trigger sure is smooth like all Pythons and he says he needs $850.00 for it. Is the python worth it or would you pay this amount for one? Thanks,
    The asking prices on auctions are unbelievable. How many get the asked price? Enough to know they will SET YOU BACK.

Got one 3 years ago - test fired only, nickel 4", 1981 - $450. Long story but the Heaven's blessed me that day.

(The light area on grips is camera)

PythonS.jpg

The Colt Python is nice but the asking prices are currently unrealistic. I have a nice, unfooled-with 1978 shooter grade Python but wouldn't expect it to garner close to $1000 if sold. There's gobs of Pythons out there, moldering in gun shop cases and on gun show tables and way too many offered on the internet auction sites at sky-high prices yet not generating bids. There are generally more Pythons for sale on GunBroker than there are plebeian Smith & Wesson Model 10s for crying out loud.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Pythons have become collector guns, and are selling for a lot of money these days, if the gun is in excellent condition. That is an extremely low price, so I am assuming that the finish on the gun must have a lot of wear. If not, then it would be a steal.

Some Pythons are selling for real big bucks. The 2.5 inch snubnose and stainless steel models are the hardest to find, and thus now command exorbitant prices.

Here are some examples:

4" Stainless Steel Python: $2,250

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209011143

2.5 inch Nickel finish: $2,600:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208005065...
    The 2.5" Nickel is stunning but there is no way I could justify that price. Man, if Colt were to re-introduce the DA revolvers with the same build quality, Smith' would be selling apples on a street corner.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links