Defensive Carry banner

Out of state gun / ammo purchase?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  msgt/ret 
#1 ·
I'm from SC, but will be heading to GA in the near future, and will be stopping by the Bass Pro Shop near Atlanta. I've been toying with the idea of a lever-action rifle, and got to thinking, suppose I run across my current "dream gun" in Atlanta, how much of a hassle would it be to buy it? From browsing on the 'net, it appears it's legal to buy long guns out of state, but not handguns. Is that correct? If so, am I likely to get any flack from gun store employees? What about ammo? Any trouble buying that?

#2 ·
Shouldn't be one whit of trouble buying ammo anywhere (well, leave CA and NJ out of that statement...). Buying long guns out of state is generally not a problem, especially in contiguous states, subject to the laws in both your home state and in the state of purchase. In big cities and with bog box stores you may run into some more restrictive company rules.

Handgun sales are restricted by Federal law to home-state only, but even if you found the gun of your dreams, just have the out-of-state FFL send it to an FFL at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.