Silencer question.

Silencer question.

This is a discussion on Silencer question. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For some reason Ive been hung up on silencers for a while now. Id like to get one for my Sig 229 .40. I cant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silencer question.

For some reason Ive been hung up on silencers for a while now. Id like to get one for my Sig 229 .40. I cant really list a reason for wanting one other then theyre cool! Anyway my question is I wanna do it the legit way. I was on the ATFs site but couldnt find the right paperwork to fill out, can anyone point me in the right direction here?? Also from the little research Ive done so far Tirant seems to be the one Im most interested in, anyone know much more about this? Cost, quality ect?
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

exspensive but worth it if you use your head.

You first need to make sure sound suppressors are not against your local laws. Finding a dealer that specializes in class 3 items will be your easiest route, they will help you make sure you fill out the paper work properly. One hang up can be the signature required be your local CLEO. If the chief won't sign off then you are pretty much stuck setting up a trust for ownership of the class 3 items. last I heard there was about a 6 month lag time on paperwork, a good dealer will have better info for you though.

As to cost you are looking at the cost of your sound suppressor, + $200 tax stamp. happy shopping.

the good thing about sound suppressors though is your paperwork covers the "can" not the gun it is mounted to. I switch my .22 can between 4-5 different firearms.

Alot of the folks that sell these items will help you fill out the proper paperwork or even do it for you. A good one will go over all the options with you.

Michael

I have often thought about sound suppressors on a HD pistol...makes sense for so many reasons.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    There’s a local dealer that offers this sort of service but frankly it’s not my thing. Personally, I can’t really rationalize why I would need one, and living within rock throwing distance from the Mexican border may raise some eyebrows. I'm not crazy about certain kinds of attention. Also, it was my understanding the Feds can visit and inspect your gear at any time once you receive the authorization - not sure though.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    There’s a local dealer that offers this sort of service but frankly it’s not my thing. Personally, I can’t really rationalize why I would need one, and living within rock throwing distance from the Mexican border may raise some eyebrows. I'm not crazy about certain kinds of attention. Also, it was my understanding the Feds can visit and inspect your gear at any time once you receive the authorization - not sure though.
    I mean no disrespect Saber- but this is a common misconception that even I shared prior to owning class 3 items. There is an added amount of responsibility that goes along with owning these weapons (e.g. keeping papers with the item at all times etc.)- but I have yet to have anyone knock on my door asking to inspect my gear--nor have any of my acquaintances, or the Class 3 dealer whom I am good friends with. If you stay on the legal side of things, and pay your stamp taxes, there should really be little to worry about.

VIP Member
    …'misconception'? No, I was simply bloviating an opinion. However, the whole border thing’ has reportedly prompted LE to pay closer attention to classs-3 types in my area. Either way it’s a great option for those that want it.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My experience with my son's "suppressors" is that they are very expensive replacements for $.99 ear plugs. They're awkward to aim, block the front sight, and tend to cause malfunctions due to the added weight on the barrel (in a Glock yet). As for HD, I'm more concerned with my life than my hearing (which is shot anyhow!).

But if you want to look "cool" at the range, then by all means fork over the cash and puthf away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you can find a local gun store that sells them they will have the paper work to get the process started. First you'll have to buy the surppressor they'll hold it until the paper work/back ground check comes back from the local sheriffs office, you'll need to get two passport pictures, finger printed to send off with the paper work to the ATF, it can take up to six to eight weeks. And if theres ever a knock on the door and they want to see you paper work and suppressor you don't have to let them in. Show paper work at the door
    Last edited by rson63; January 2nd, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    You can order the forms from the ATF for free, they will send them to your house.

You need the Form 4 and the Compliance form.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Be sure to get at least 2 copies of each. You'll also need two copies of NFA fingerprint cards. It useally takes a week or so to get them in the mail.

I am an 07/02 FFL, meaning that I both produce and sell suppressors. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    There is an added amount of responsibility that goes along with owning these weapons (e.g. keeping papers with the item at all times etc.)- but I have yet to have anyone knock on my door asking to inspect my gear--nor have any of my acquaintances, or the Class 3 dealer whom I am good friends with. If you stay on the legal side of things, and pay your stamp taxes, there should really be little to worry about.
    Ditto this.
    There are many misconceptions when getting suppressors.
    The ATF will not visit you, nor do they have the right to search your home just because you own one. Like any other agency, they need a warrant. They can demand to see your paperwork, but thats it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I've shot full autos and shot guns with silencers,you might want to check out youtube videos and see just how little they really silence a gun,unless you use sub sonic ammo you still get the crack of the round breaking the sound barrier
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    A video of the Tirant being shot. This one is a .45 being shot wet.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/videos/video...-wet/354404748

You are looking somewhere around 850 for the can ,plus the 200 for the transfer fee.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I've got a SilencerCo Osprey for my .45s sitting in my dealers safe. I'm lucky enough to able to shoot with him, it's awsome. I love shooting without hearing protection.
    I had cops doing the happy dance when I let them run a mag through it
    If it's not against your state law, and you have the disposable income to justify a "toy" like that, go for it. My next one will be a 7.62 can that I can also use on my 5.56 ARs
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Here are two questions I have perhaps someone can help enlighten me.
    What was the reasoning to include suppressors in the NFA laws in the 1st place?
    Can you actually tell if a bullet has been down a suppressor? Does it leave different marks on the spent round ? I was under the impression that the bullet isn't supposed to touch the suppressor...is this wrong?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links