Am I missing something on this auction?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something on this auction? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This seems almost too good to be true. $890 for a $1200 handgun. Best price locally I've gotten is $1050. I've seen others online for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something on this auction?

Distinguished Member

This seems almost too good to be true. $890 for a $1200 handgun. Best price locally I've gotten is $1050. I've seen others online for $970+ but with shipping and other fees.

This one says it includes free shipping and I don't see any other fees listed. Heck it looks like I can pay with CC at 2% and still be $140 less than local (before local transfer fee).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209829677

Looks good to me...that particular dealer sells a LOT of stuff on GB. You probably found a great deal due to the volume of stuff they sell. Snap it up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks. I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

Administrator
    They have a really good feedback rating considering the high number of firearms they sell.

YES, do pay with a major credit card & then your transaction is covered.

Looks legit to me.

Maybe it is just because of where you are in the country that prices are higher? There is some variation regionally, and you are not in the most firearm friendly state.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    They have a really good feedback rating considering the high number of firearms they sell.

YES, do pay with a major credit card & then your transaction is covered.
    I plan on it! I'm waiting to hear back from an FFL to make sure he'll do the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Looks legit to me.

Maybe it is just because of where you are in the country that prices are higher? There is some variation regionally, and you are not in the most firearm friendly state.
    Good point, that might be the case.

VIP Member
    Get on it!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    I pulled the trigger on it but still haven't been able to find a local FFL to do the transfer. Two never called or emailed me back, one only does long guns and many of the others are charging outrageous prices. I really don't feel like having to drive 1+hrs, twice no less, to do the transfer but it's looking like that may be the case.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I pulled the trigger on it but still haven't been able to find a local FFL to do the transfer. Two never called or emailed me back, one only does long guns and many of the others are charging outrageous prices. I really don't feel like having to drive 1+hrs, twice no less, to do the transfer but it's looking like that may be the case.
    Go to gunbroker and use their find FFL feature. Just type in your zip code and about twenty will pop up near you.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Go to gunbroker and use their find FFL feature. Just type in your zip code and about twenty will pop up near you.
    I was! Around here many only want to do long guns, or apparently don't want to be bother, and I wasn't calling anyone who wanted $50 or more.

Anyway, I called one recommended by a friend a little while ago, easy as pie and only $25. It's a little further than I was hoping to drive but seems like a good guy.

Distinguished Member
    It has shipped!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    You should be careful about doing this in the future.

11 years ago I was browsing messages on an online hunting forum and I came across a thread started by a guy who was talking about an incredible deal for an amazing rifle that he had found on gunbroker.com and was bidding on.

The rifle was still in like new, unfired condition. It had an exceptionally nice stock, with lovely figure and a rosewood forend. It was a limited edition gun, too, so it was not even something that could even be purchased new any more. And the starting price was really quite shockingly low for such a high grade rifle. It certainly was not cheap, but was below what one would normally pay for such a higher grade. And just like this auction, there was no reserve price set.

So guess what happened? I fell in love with the rifle too. The dealer had posted big beautiful photos, and I just drooled over them. So I silently stalked the auction, and then struck when there were just a few minutes left. He feebly tried to fight back a little, and bid a couple more times. But I prevailed, and ended up with the winning bid. It turned out that he really did not want it all that badly, as I only end up paying $100 more than he had originally bid.

Boy was he ever pissed off, though. He came back to the thread he started and made accusations that someone from the forum must have STOLE his rifle. ( Little did he know that his hunch was true. ) He was so mad that he even accused a couple of folks that had posted in his thread of taking his rifle away from him. I, though, had never ever even posted in the thread. I had only just read it, and clicked on his link to the auction to check it out.

To this day, I've never spoken about this before. But since 11 years have now past, and this is a totally different website, I think that it is now safe to talk about.

Did I do anything immoral or illegal?

A lot of people don't bid on guns ahead of time, and wait until the close of the bidding to make their move. I learned that the hard way myself, after losing out on a couple of bids.

If one looks hard enough, you can find some good deals on gunbroker. But I would advise advertising them online, until you have actually have won the bid. For someone might just want the gun just as much, or even more, than you do.

I guess that I could post a photo of the rifle.

Except, would that guy still be angry enough to hunt me down???? When he lost the auction, he sounded like he was ready to kill the so called "thief" that he said had stole his rifle.

Distinguished Member
    I wasn't too worried about this "auction." The buy it now price was the same as the starting bid. So anyone who actually placed a bid on it would of been a fool. I knew I was taking a risk and I could of lost it but there will always be other deals. As it turns out they have a least two if not more as another was listed after I won that auction. I also don't get into bidding wars with auctions. I bid my high price and see where it goes. If I win, great, if not oh well. I can't get worked up over stuff like that.

But for something that is high sought after or collectable I understand your point and I'd certainly keep it under my hat, don't need to make my own competition. :)

That other guy sounds like he likes to create his own drama.

Lead Moderator
    Looks good. Enjoy when it shows up!

(And now you can start planning for your next SIG, can't have just one you know.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Looks good. Enjoy when it shows up!

(And now you can start planning for your next SIG, can't have just one you know.)

Thanks! This is actually #2. It will be big brother to a 228R. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links