Michigan gun registration as it pertains to the SIG P250.

This is a discussion on Michigan gun registration as it pertains to the SIG P250. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In Michigan you are required to register every pistol you own with the State Police after the sale. The required forms that are needed to ...

Thread: Michigan gun registration as it pertains to the SIG P250.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Michigan gun registration as it pertains to the SIG P250.

In Michigan you are required to register every pistol you own with the State Police after the sale. The required forms that are needed to register said pistols have specific fields that need to be filled out such as make, model, caliber, barrel length and number of rounds. With the capability of the SIG P250 to swap out calibers which will affect the round count and different barrel lengths and such how would this work out. The fire control system is the serial numbered part of the firearm which can be swapped into any number of configurations, and the serial number is with a very specific configuration is what is registered with the police. I was wondering if anyone from Michigan has had this question answered. If not I'm going to call the MSP and ask.

2. Remove Ads

I ran into this same issue when I was looking at the Sig P250 as well. I called MSP and they advised that I had to register the gun in the configuration it was purchased in with the details specific to that configuration. I asked about issues with changing out the configuration after registration and they advised it would not be an issue since it is manufactured and sold with that capability from Sig. They did say I might have to explain it to an officer if the registration was run for some reason but that there is no state law against multiple configurations of the weapon itself. Any local ordinances against it would be preempted by MI state law.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    It is only 1 firearm, so it only has to be registered once.

It is no different than owning an AR-15 rifle. You can buy all sorts of different upper assemblies for the lower, to create vastly different rifles in a number of different calibers.

However, all of those additional upper assemblies are not firearms, and thus do not have to be registered. They don't even have to be purchased from a FFL. You can buy them direct from the factory. If buying from a dealer in another state, you can even have them ship the parts directly to your home.

I bought an additional upper for one of my AR-15's earlier this year, and had it shipped directly to my home.

Just look on the SIG/SAUER website. You can order the P250 Exchange Kits directly from them, and have them shipped right to your home.

They are just extra gun parts, not firearms.

LanceORYGUN,

Sorry I don't see why you made a compairson between the P250 and the AR-15. A the background check and registration is completely different for a pistol than a rifle with a form going back MSP to register the pistol. I see a SIG P250 with S/N: 123ABC in with 17rounds of 9mm with a 4.7in barrel being completly different as a SIG P250 with S/N: 123ABC with 6 rounds of .45ACP and a 3.5in barrel. My question was has the state made provision to reconize the interchangability of this weapon. What Waterborne says did make a lot of since.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    LanceORYGUN,

Sorry I don't see why you made a compairson between the P250 and the AR-15. A the background check and registration is completely different for a pistol than a rifle with a form going back MSP to register the pistol. I see a SIG P250 with S/N: 123ABC in with 17rounds of 9mm with a 4.7in barrel being completly different as a SIG P250 with S/N: 123ABC with 6 rounds of .45ACP and a 3.5in barrel. My question was has the state made provision to reconize the interchangability of this weapon. What Waterborne says did make a lot of since.
    You can change calibers with an AR-15 just as easily as with the pistol in question, along with barrel lengths etc. That is the point of comparison. You put a 5.45 upper on an AR that was originally 5.56 then it is still just one firearm. I believe he was trying to say that it is the same thing with your handgun, which can also be readily changed in caliber etc.

Yes I understand that you can swap out things on an AR-15, however you don't register AR-15s the same way you would a pistol in Michigan. Michigan keeps a database of all legally owned pistols within the state. To buy a pistol you have to go to the local Sheriff's office and they do a background check, then issues the purchase permit which some states do including where I'm stationed at in Fort Bragg, NC. I purchased the P250s in NC which does not requiring any paperwork regarding the pistol to come back to them for databaseing as it does in Michigan. What would be the possible problems I would run into registering pistol in its original store bought configuration as a midsize 9mm with S/N: ABC123, then they confiscate the weapon for what ever reason and run the S/N: and ABC123 comes back in the computer as a midsize 9mm but the officer is holding a sub-compact .45ACP

I called the State Police as talked to a very nice SGT where I heard a bunch of crickets in the background, then another nice gentleman got on the phone which was this guys LT who stated that you would register the gun with the shorter barrel length. I replied ok what about the ability to change calibers from a 9mm to a .45ACP, and again I heard a bunch of crickets and the guy said he really doesn't know off the top of my head and referred me to the local Sheriff who I explained the same thing to and got more crickets. The ATF has stated that the S/Ned part of the gun is in fact the gun and the ability to change everything around isn't a big deal. However as much as I wanna think this wouldn't be a big deal in my home state, I can just see god forbid I had to use a firearm in self defense that I would get the most anti-gun DA in the state to prosecute my case.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Yes I understand that you can swap out things on an AR-15, however you don't register AR-15s the same way you would a pistol in Michigan. Michigan keeps a database of all legally owned pistols within the state.
    The concept is still exactly the same though. You only have one single firearm. Anything else is just considered to be extra parts.

Does the state of Michigan require that Pistol parts be registered? The answer: NO.

The P250 Caliber X-Change Kits are just parts. That is why you can order them direct from the SIG website, and have them shipped direct to your home. Exactly like how I was able to buy an AR-15 upper, and have it sent to my home.

There is no difference at all.

I originally bought my self-defense AR-15 configured with an upper with an 18" barrel in 6.8mm SPC. I've since purchased a DPMS upper in .223, and installed that on the gun.

Now if I shoot someone in self-defense with my AR are the authorities going to freak out that the caliber has changed? Who cares, I've not broken any laws.

I would just register it in the original condition that you bought it in. That way everyone's paper trails will match up it the MSP ever talk to the ATF. As long as they have the serial number and the owner I would think they would be happy. The only way I could see around it would be to write in "multi" like they do on the atf forms for ar lowers but they might throw a red flag and cause more problems.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Links