How do you define "fits my hand"?

This is a discussion on How do you define "fits my hand"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How do you decide whether a gun fits your hand? Do you have to be able to completely enclose the grips in your hand? Do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you define "fits my hand"?

How do you define "fits my hand"?

How do you decide whether a gun fits your hand? Do you have to be able to completely enclose the grips in your hand? Do the fingers have to reach a particular point on the grips? Do you go by feel?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my Olivia - such an easy question - not!!!

So much is subjective - and it is not entirely IMO down to just hand size. It can also be down to hand proportions - meaning perhaps small hand but long fingers - or the opposite.

There is a certain ''something'' I feel when gripping a gun - which is i guess a ''comfort'' factor. That then needs extended to whether that comfortable gun comes up instinctively in the natural grip I adopt. Meaning - without any adjustments.

Trigger reach is critical IMO along with trigger finger strength. A lady I was teaching in a Personal Protection class had a Ladysmith - but really could not get on with it. Grip size was OK but her hand strength vs trigger poundage and position was such that she adopted a very poor grip and shot to the side.

dr_cmg has adopted a single stack SIG for what suits him - I on the other hand prefer wide double stackers, to ''fill'' my hand better.

I do think ''feel'' is a good measure of how good things are - but that has to also translate into live fire, to ''prove'' the worth of that feel.

Probably yes, grip enclosure should be fairly complete - such that the gun can be accurately fired single handed - that I think is a useful criteria.

This brings us back probably to ''what suits you'' territory - and means to really judge you must try out as many as possible. Handling an empty gun in a store is enough to know if ''feel'' is within your chosen range - then if that narrows the choices you have to go shoot!

One exception I might mention - is the BUG category - wherein you probably may not even find a gun with ideal ''feel'' - they are just too small! In those cases the shooter has to adapt and with practice achieve what is needed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    When I seat the firearm properly in my hand ( by this I mean seating the firearm as lowly in the hand as the grip allows , with an imaginairly line running down the center of my forearm thro the center of the front sight ) can i without undue stretch or crimp reach and function the trigger , can i reach the mag release , and slide release with only a small shift if any shift at all ? When I raise the handgun with my eyes closed and point at a target ( say a light switch plate across a room ) do the sights line up , or close to line up ? To me that is the 5 second one post course in pistolfit LOL hope it cleared up a little for you .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Chillia
    How do you decide whether a gun fits your hand? Do you have to be able to completely enclose the grips in your hand? Do the fingers have to reach a particular point on the grips? Do you go by feel?
    you're going to get tired seeing me reference of this site: http://www.corneredcat.com/

Here's a decent atttempt complete with pictures:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/TryOnGun.htm

It's a great site by a woman CCW Permit holder.

plblark nothing wrong with that site , she done well there lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I love that site!

Redneck Repairs has about the same approach I do. Except that with my size hands (or maybe it is the proportions?), it is exceedingly rare for me to find any standard size gun on which I can operate the slide release AND the mag release with no or minimal grip re-adjustment. I usually elide the issue by allowing my support hand to release, catch and reload the magazine and, if the slide release is too far forward, to release the slide as well.

+1 for that site. Very nice.

On handgun fit, to me it's kind of not knowing the gun's there. No, not a Zen thing... more like what RR said about when you point it with your eyes closed, it ends up pointing where you wanted.

Olivia Chillia I should in all honestly state minimal is subjective , for instance i find some problematic , double stack .45s as a rule dont work for me , but the taurus melineum does kinda , its a reach on shift but not enough to ***** about . I guess a " normal " shift is what you look for just keeping in mind that in this case less is better lol

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    That "Cornered Cat" site is excellent.

To answer the question short and sweet: "You go by feel."

If it needs further refinement, for pistols: "You make sure you can operate the trigger, all safeties, and the slide release with only your shooting hand on the gun." For revolvers: "You makes sure you can cock the hammer (if applicable) and the cylinder release with only your shooting hand on the gun"

And I've had many a problem, as I have smaller hands than most people. Not just men, but women, too.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2
    ...If it needs further refinement, for pistols: "You make sure you can operate the trigger, all safeties, and the slide release with only your shooting hand on the gun."
    Why "only your shooting hand on the gun"?

Two reasons....one, it makes for certain sure the gun isn't too big. It probably provides more certaintly there than you may need, but given my track record with my teeny weeny paws, I do it. Two, if the SHTF, you may have to be able to do it all with one hand....both aren't always available....

"You make sure you can operate the trigger, all safeties, and the slide release with only your shooting hand on the gun."
    Reading this it makes no mention if having to shift the grip on the gun to do it ( slide stop , and mag release ) Which i have to do , if that is what your saying i pretty much agree , if your saying no shift of the gun i pretty much disagree lol

Make a U shape with your hand -- the fingers form one side of the U and your thumb forms the other. They should be inline with your forearm. Now place the gun into the U, keeping the gun inline with your forearm. You should be able to comfortably reach the trigger with the pad of your trigger finger. If you have to rotate the gun (so that the backstrap is more towards your thumb than on the web) to reach the trigger, then the grip is too big for you.

If the gun is rotated like that, you will likely have problems controlling the recoil -- the gun will torque somewhat sideways in your hand. In contrast, if the gun fits, during recoil the muzzle will rise and then come right back down again into the same place it started.

VIP Member
    Chris, P95Carry, mentioned that I have centered on single stack pistols. I really find this to be unusual since although I do not have big hands my hands are of average size. Also my grip is unusual for the size of my hands.

I stand 5'8" and with average size hands I can palm a basketball (if the ball is in good condition). Growing up my father ran a country store and back in the 60s when canned soft drinks were first starting to be sold they were packed 24 to a case and the case was totally closed. The guys who delivered them would often just stand a case on end and grab it with one hand so the thumb was at the top of one can and the second finger on the bottom of the same can and pick up the case. My father's hands were larger than mine, but his thumb was exceptional short. He saw the guys grabbing the cases by the end and so he tried. He tried and tried, but he could never lift a case that way. At 14 I was able after a couple of weeks of practice to lift a case in each hand.

The classic example of my grip happened about 7 or 8 years ago. My wife and I decided we wanted a basketball goal in the backyard. We went to Wally World and got a free standing goal and a couple of basketballs. While my wife was waiting for the clerk to bring goal package to the front I went to get something else. I took the two basketballs with me. I was walking along through Wally World with a basketball in each hand with my arms hanging down by my side just as if my hands were empty. As I was walking I let my arms swing a little wider than normal because of the balls in my hand. Suddenly my left hand swung back and struck a young black man (about 6'1" tall). The ball did not come out of my hand and I just said, "Excuse me, I need to be more careful." He just nodded and smiled. He passed on by going ahead of me in the aisle. After about 4 steps he stopped and turned around with an amazed look on his face. He looked at each of my hands, shook his head, and looked again. I could sense what he was thinking, "What is a 5'8" white man doing walking through Walmart palming basketballs." The second look seemed to say, "And not dropping one when the hit me with it." I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders. He turned around and with sort of a dejected posture continued on his way. My wife and I got a big laugh out of the incident. I just should not be able to do it.

With hands like mine you would think that Glocks and other pistols with double stack mags would pose no problem. But though I have no problems pulling the triggers on this type pistol, I cannot hit the target with them. My rounds go all over the place. It appears that the double stack mag pistols which have grips that are more rectangular shaped slide in my hands. My wife's Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm has grips that are more oval shaped and I can control it with no problem.

So to answer your question for me it has been a trial and error process. Now I do not even consider pistols with double stack mags unless I have an opportunity to fire them for several mags first. I do not even look at pistols like the Glocks or Taurus Millennium Pro .40 & .45s because of the shape of the grips. I judge the other pistols by considering how they feel to me and how easily I can reach the controls.

I'm sure you now have gotten more than you ever wanted to know.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Redneck:

It depends (at least for me) on what kind of shift we're talking about. You should be able to operate the pistol (or revolver), including controls like the cylinder release, mag release, slide release, safeties (as applicable), without the use of a second hand.

But I don't know if there is a gun made that those things can be done without moving (shifting?) your shootin' hand at least a little....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links