Allegiance to the Snub

This is a discussion on Allegiance to the Snub within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I often feel my choice of a snub revolver may be inadequate when I could own/carry/shoot an auto. Shooting an auto a fair amount before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allegiance to the Snub

Allegiance to the Snub

I often feel my choice of a snub revolver may be inadequate when I could own/carry/shoot an auto. Shooting an auto a fair amount before ever touching a revolver, I figured an auto was what I would gravitate to. I have read a lot regarding many issues related to defensive shooting and all have valid points and deserve consideration to develop not only a gun system but a shooter. I often question if I would be better armed with an auto and the answer is yes – at least considering firepower, speed, and accuracy.

However, in my opinion nothing can edge out the benefits of training with a snub nose revolver. Sure there are many aspects of autos that outperform revolvers but as far as developing a shooter (myself still being a developing shooter – aren’t we all) nothing helps more than the snub revolver. The aspects most people consider faults of the revolver I see as benefits – maybe not in a gun fight but in the development of a gunfighter.

First, the sight radius – or lack of – really helps train for a proper sight alignment and holding of a sight picture that translates exponentially to an auto or longer barreled revolver. When every flaw is amplified it helps signal a lack of training and need for focus – both are greatly needed by any shooter.

Second, the long and heavy double action trigger reinforces trigger control. When combined with the short sight radius translate into even better shooter technique and skill. A long double action trigger can help a short action trigger pull but not the other way around.

Third, the lack of capacity – while considered a hindrance by many – forces the use of cover, concealment, movement, and avoidance of danger. If the tactical advantage of a speedy reload is a factor, so is failing something more fundamental.

After starting out with autos in the military, I have gravitated to revolvers and I believe have become a better shooter for it. I especially feel that these skills transferred to an auto make an extremely proficient shooter. Auto loaders will come and go from my collection but my snubs will never go and will accompany me to the range every time.

Ode to the Snub
    Hold high
    Make the front clear
    Slow now
    Steady now
    Straight back
    Stay clear of trouble
    Steady now
    Straight back

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'm happy for you.

Long live the snub.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I'm with ya! I've been a auto fan forever, but just within the last year changed over to the revolver platform, especially when it comes to concealed carry. I've spent tones on coin on what I would consider excellent autoloaders from Glocks to Sig and even a Kahr and a Kimber to mention just a few. All ran well and as they should, but that was under controlled conditions and with no stress on either the firearm or myself. After some serious evaluation and range time with the few revolvers I had in my safe, I decided to dedicate myself to the platform and forego all the variables that go along with keeping the autos running like they should. I'll always have my autos and will even invest in more, but for me and at this time in my life, I'm swiftly becoming a revolver guy and enjoy the ease of the simple and user friendly carry of the everyday revolver.

The quick change for me was decided when I took my .357 and .38+p to the range and discovered that I was just as deadly with both as any auto in my arsenal. I used to be a huge opponent of the five rounds and then reload conundrum, but stated working on my thoughts behind the gun fight if one should ever take place. What I ended up with was something along the lines of; I'm not a LEO and I'm looking to be in a gunfight, so if one breaks out, I'll use my revolver to defend myself and get the heck outa dodge. If the pooh really hits the fan, I'll use it to get to the 12 ga in my trunk and change the odds tremendously in my favor.

Good post, I enjoyed reading it. Take care....

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I love the one snubbie I own. It has it's place with me. Long live them little snubs..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Snubs are great for all the reasons mentioned. I use two Colts from the early 60s: Colt Detective (which some consider the epitome of snubs and is wickedly accurate ) and Colt Cobra: twin of the Detective but alloy-frame, weighs 16 oz unloaded.

Both shoot 6 - takes care of the 5 hesitancy if folks have it, but like was said: we're not invading Normandy here, just carrying reasonable protection in a god-forbid crisis of our lives that is as remote as deadly. You've got to have something you will carry regularly without discomfort that is pronounced. And, In such shootings, 2 are average number of shots I believe, and the distances are around 8' to 10'. You need the most reliable, simplest, idiot-proof weapon you can get, that can be, GOTTEN TO, DRAWN AND POINTED ACCURATELY AND FIRED in about 3 seconds - and under conditions where the greatest anxiety of your life will be upon you. There are some fancy-A. guns out there to be sure, but nothing makes me feel as certain I could actually get the thing out and fire on target than the my lil ole snubs. (Plus I feel like Humphrey Bogart with my Detective).

Det.jpg

I've switched to my 642 exclusively now over my former carry gun--XD 40 4". For me and my lifestyle, it's the perfect tool for personal protection.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Third, the lack of capacity – while considered a hindrance by many – forces the use of cover, concealment, movement, and avoidance of danger. If the tactical advantage of a speedy reload is a factor, so is failing something more fundamental.

^^^^^^^^^You forgot^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

one of the more important aspects of less ammo, is that it SHOULD cause the person to train/become more proficient, so that you make your shots count, which one should do regardless of using a revolver or a semi-auto.

How can there be "self help GROUPS"?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm so glad to find some other snubby fans...sometimes I feel like the Lone Ranger in this autoloader age. I've gradually gotten rid of just about all my bottom-feeders--2 Commanders, a 1911, a Glock 17, a CZ 75. They were all good guns and, except for the LW Commander, very reliable. However since getting my CCP and doing a world of studying and thinking on the subject I feel more confident with a snub .38 than anything I can comfortably carry and conceal. They offer the best power to size to weight ratio,
    the greatest simplicity, the most reliability. They are the quickest to get into action--you can shoot from inside a pocket if you need to--and the easiest to draw without snagging. I don't have any problem keeping my shots in center mass at 15 yards--long range for nearly all defensive encounters. After practicing with a speedloader I've gotten fast enough that I don't feel 5 or 6 shots is liable to be a handicap....and there's always the option of the "New York reload" with 2 LW snubbies weighing about the same as most cut down 45 autos. I'm continually amazed and somewhat dismayed that most defensive shooters opt for autos these days as I feel that most are less well-protected than they would be with a revolver. Unless you're willing to expend the hundreds of rounds of ammo--your defense load--needed to establish absolute reliability, and to practice enough to remain familiar with the operation of a more complex weapon, it's borderline foolish to choose an auto over a wheelgun. I bought my first snub in 1974--a Chief's special...now with a bobbed hammer. Lately I've been collecting others--36 and '60 Detective specials, a model 10, an LCR and a 70's vintage model 42. My next will probably be a 442 or 642....love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    ...and to practice enough to remain familiar with the operation of a more complex weapon...
    I have to practice regularly with an airsoft to keep my muscle memory proficient with an auto. Every now and then, if I don't shoot the revolver for a while, I'll go to the range and almost feel retarded because it feels like I'm forgetting something but I'm not.

VIP Member
    I started out with revolvers and switched over to auto-loaders when the trend became more popular. I even recall my gun dealer telling me that I should buy a few Colts before they stopped making them. At the time I just thought it was sales talk and I completely dismissed his advice. As I continued to collect, sell and trade my semi’s I never once had the same passion for the sport as I once had with revolvers. Fast-forward more than two decades and bam! I’m back where I started and I kick myself constantly.

In a nutshell: My mental precept is that I fire an auto-loader, whereas I shoot a revolver. The experience while handling, loading and shooting the wheel gun is more enjoyable or satisfying to me. The mechanics is more endemic to how I process information under stress, and I feel more confident than with an auto-loader. Not sure I even care how all this plays into the modern philosophy of more ammo and faster trigger action, but I can attest to the piece of mind I have with a loaded revolver by my side.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by Saber; January 9th, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Similar to Dan/Saber, I've found myself drawn more and more to wheelguns. I'll still keep some bottomfeeders, but I'm not drawn to the high end 1911's and things like I used to be (luckily, I never spent the money on a high end 1911 to scratch that itch before it passed). To me, the mechanics, simplicity of manual of arms, and the aesthetics of revolvers have drawn me in. My daily carry used to be a full size XD 40, but I've found that a plain little J Frame 642 fills the role perfectly for me. Sometimes, manufacturers just get it right (of course, everyone has a different definition of what "right" is...).

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'm with ya! I've been a auto fan forever, but just within the last year changed over to the revolver platform, especially when it comes to concealed carry. I've spent tones on coin on what I would consider excellent autoloaders from Glocks to Sig and even a Kahr and a Kimber to mention just a few. All ran well and as they should, but that was under controlled conditions and with no stress on either the firearm or myself. After some serious evaluation and range time with the few revolvers I had in my safe, I decided to dedicate myself to the platform and forego all the variables that go along with keeping the autos running like they should. I'll always have my autos and will even invest in more, but for me and at this time in my life, I'm swiftly becoming a revolver guy and enjoy the ease of the simple and user friendly carry of the everyday revolver.

The quick change for me was decided when I took my .357 and .38+p to the range and discovered that I was just as deadly with both as any auto in my arsenal. I used to be a huge opponent of the five rounds and then reload conundrum, but stated working on my thoughts behind the gun fight if one should ever take place. What I ended up with was something along the lines of; I'm not a LEO and I'm looking to be in a gunfight, so if one breaks out, I'll use my revolver to defend myself and get the heck outa dodge. If the pooh really hits the fan, I'll use it to get to the 12 ga in my trunk and change the odds tremendously in my favor.

Good post, I enjoyed reading it. Take care....

GBK

Aha! the truth comes out. That's not fair, your snub is BUG to a 12 gauge
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I started out a revolver only guy for many years and spent the last couple getting semi-autos and becoming very proficient with them. Large ones, small ones, and lots of stuff in between. After a couple of years I now find myself more often than not with a revolver. I've spent the last 2 weeks carrying my S&W 442 exclusively. Not as a bug to anything else, just it. I almost forgot how easy this bugger is to carry. I've been carrying IWB at 4:00 o'clock and almost forget it is there. I've also been carrying it in a nylon clip IWB with my lounge pants. It's the easiest thing to carry ALL THE TIME no matter what I'm wearing. Here I sit with 6 great semi-autos and 5 other great revolvers and the 442 gets the nod. It's just hard to beat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I know what you mean Dan. Revolvers just seem more "organic"....like an extension of your arm/hand whereas autos seem separate somehow. I know my point shooting ability is much better with my revolvers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links