Suspicious character on my street

This is a discussion on Suspicious character on my street within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work from home, so I am generally here. Today, after getting back from the bank, I drive up my street and there is a ...

Thread: Suspicious character on my street

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Suspicious character on my street

I work from home, so I am generally here. Today, after getting back from the bank, I drive up my street and there is a beat up old Volvo stopped in the middle of the street. I pass him on the left and pull in to my driveway. As I get out, he rolls down his window and asks, "Do you live there?"

"What do you need?

"Just looking for a house to buy or rent"

(Ya right. You couldn't afford either in this neighborhood.)

"Well, there are a few houses for sale up there and back there."

"OK, thanks"

As he drives off, I get his license plate number and call the non-emergency police number. I should have taken a picture of him with my phone, but I thought that might be a bit much.

Contrary to many folks here, I don't normally walk around the house with a firearm on, but I think I am going to keep one a bit more accessible for a bit.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I work from home, so I am generally here. Today, after getting back from the bank, I drive up my street and there is a beat up old Volvo stopped in the middle of the street. I pass him on the left and pull in to my driveway. As I get out, he rolls down his window and asks, "Do you live there?"

"What do you need?

"Just looking for a house to buy or rent"

(Ya right. You couldn't afford either in this neighborhood.)

"Well, there are a few houses for sale up there and back there."

"OK, thanks"

As he drives off, I get his license plate number and call the non-emergency police number. I should have taken a picture of him with my phone, but I thought that might be a bit much.

Contrary to many folks here, I don't normally walk around the house with a firearm on, but I think I am going to keep one a bit more accessible for a bit.
    Suspicious or not I can say with some certainty that if someone wiped out a phone and took a photo of me I would be quite unhappy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

"Contrary to many folks here, I don't normally walk around the house with a firearm on, but I think I am going to keep one a bit more accessible for a bit. "
    I do and I never answer my door without checking who is on the other side first. If I don't know you we will be talking through the closed, locked door and my hand will be on my firearm. It won't do me any good anywhere else.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    This reminds me to buy a peep-hole thingy' for the interior garage access door. I was met with a weird guy about a year ago and I wasn't prepared. No, I don't usually carry home alone. Did it for a while but you guys know the drill.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Sounds like the guy was watching the neighborhood to come back later for a little B&E. You did the right thing.

We have had a few of them in our neighborhood. They have targeted folks outside A/C units for the copper. One pretended to work for a realty company of a house up for sale.
    Next door neighbor to house saw him busting up the A/C unit got his plate number and description. Found out police arrested him on Wednesday. He had an extensive record and was a drug abuser.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Same thing happened here the other day. Not the same result. I live on a very close-nit street. we all know each other.

About two weeks ago I noticed a strange van (old and beat up) across my street one house down. I called my neighbor across the street and told him to look outside his window. He did and as he was on the phone he suggested we go investigate.

When we went out, we were met with a third neighbor who also was curious about the foreign van. We each approached the van from different angles and there was a guy who was in the drivers seat. we asked him what he needed and he looked us up and down - oh, by the way, besides myself, my neighbors on both sides carry, my three neighbors across the street, and my neighbor down the street is a cop. He then told us he was parked looking at a map. my neighbor from across the street whom I called. told him "ok, but please know we now have a picture (and he snapped a photo with his iPhone) and your license number, so if you are shady, you won't get away with it. the guy drove off and we finished our little "neighborhood watch" meeting and went back inside. Thank God for my neighborhood, if anyone else broke into any of our homes it would be a very bad day for them. 11 houses on our street and 6 of them are well armed.

In any case, I'm glad you were prepared and did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    "Contrary to many folks here, I don't normally walk around the house with a firearm on, but I think I am going to keep one a bit more accessible for a bit. "
    I do and I never answer my door without checking who is on the other side first. If I don't know you we will be talking through the closed, locked door and my hand will be on my firearm. It won't do me any good anywhere else.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    ...Contrary to many folks here, I don't normally walk around the house with a firearm on, but I think I am going to keep one a bit more accessible for a bit.
    LCP in pocket from the time I awake until I hit the bed at night, just because....
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Hmmm... might have been me, but my old Volvo isn't really beat-up looking.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Houses for sale or rent usually have signs out front. I don't see any on this street so, none here. Perhaps you should check with a realtor."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hmmm... might have been me, but my old Volvo isn't really beat-up looking.
    Suuuure..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    BINGO!!! I've been carrying my S&W 442 snub in a nylon clip IWB clipped in my lounge pants around the house. I get up in the morning and hit the treadmill and it's in the drink holder. You just never know.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

even at home the LCP stays in my pocket comfortably.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Three days later, I think of a great response. So when he says, "Just looking for a house to buy or rent", I should have said, "Ya, this is a great neighbor. We have a neighborhood watch program and all the people here look out for each other. Any suspicious activity is immediately reported to the police"...and then take his picture.

I have an LCP and yes, I have been carrying it around with me more. Also keep my Glock handy.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Links