Poboys clearing barrel???

This is a discussion on Poboys clearing barrel??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iím wondering if anyone has experimented with using a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand as a clearing barrel of some sorts? Iíve just moved ...

Thread: Poboys clearing barrel???

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Iím wondering if anyone has experimented with using a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand as a clearing barrel of some sorts? Iíve just moved into a second floor apartment, and am sort of worried about aiming my weapons at the ground while I clear them. Previously it wasnít a problem because I was living in a buddies house who had a large back yard where I could clear them without a problem. The largest caliber Iíll be using will be .40 cal, and am wondering if anyone has tried it without having the bullet to through the bottom of the bucket. I would test it myself but I donít have a place where I can safely or legally discharge a weapon at this time.

I've never understood the reason for clearing barrels. I've handled pistols, rifles, and shotguns for over 40 years without one. I have never had a problem with a visual clearing. What am I missing?
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    It's just another layer of protection for me when clearing my weapons with someone living below me. The likely hood of me having a ND is slim, I don't like slim that leaves a margin for error and to moment I think it won't happen I'm going to put a round into someones bed room.

A pile of old magazines or newspapers will do as well.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Clearing a weapon doesn't involve sand, a bucket, or a steel well. Clearing a weapon is one thing....the live round should be ejected if present. Dry firing involves making sure the weapon is clear first. Maybe I'm missing something as well. A bucket full of sand means an ashtray for me. Second floor apartment? I used to live in a second floor apartment. So long as the downstairs neighbors didn't disturb, I never thought of pointing my 12ga at the floor. A fifty pound ashtray is still an ashtray.....not a ND disposal unit. IMO......forget about what you've seen out in front of the local police station for 'clearing weapons'. Most often accidents happen within the police station and not outside. Most of them have shot themselves without a five gallon bucket within sight much less the sand. Think better....think smart IMO. Leave the sand at the beach.

Having a safe backstop in the event that a ND does occur, and the OP's ability to consider the issue, should be commended.

FWIW a 5 gallon bucket of sand will work well, or at least better than no barrier what so ever. In short, even if a round were to make it through the bucket of sand, a lot of it's energy would be expended. Bookcases with hardback books also work well, IME. Magazines work too, and very well I might add.

It's nice to see somebody thinking about safety instead of just thinking, "Oh that'll never happen to me."

Biker

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    I've never understood the reason for clearing barrels. I've handled pistols, rifles, and shotguns for over 40 years without one. I have never had a problem with a visual clearing. What am I missing?
    Me either, not even in the military, where it's assumed everyone is an idiot and can't handle a gun safely.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wasn't saying it is a bad idea. Just never had a use for it personally. I have lived in multi-dwelling buildings while in college, and currently live in a fifth-wheel RV in an RV park. (talk about thin walls! One bullet could go through 4 trailers!)

I was just wondering what your rationale was for wanting one.

I shoot a lot out in the desert, and would be happy to fill a bucket of dirt and test it for you with a .45 next time we go out if you want. I could even try a .223 if you want.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

I used one when I was in the military, and it was part of the watch turn over to be followed without question when your relief arrived, I did not understand it then or now???? I did it then as all military people understand how to follow procedure even if it does not seem logical.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i dont understand why it doesnt seem logical...for the op its just a safe place to point his gun while loading or clearing it..sure there are other safe places to point your gun but if its more comfortable for you to point it at a bucket of sand then have at it...i'll mirror bikers kudos for at least thinking safely instead of jumping on the macho "its never happened to me" bandwagon....

keep in mind that if your firearm isnt pointed toward the center of the bucket you will just blow through a small amount of sand and the side of the bucket...then youll have a hole and a mess to clean up...

VIP Member
    To the OP. Yes a bucket of sand will be just fine.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

i dont understand why it doesnt seem logical...for the op its just a safe place to point his gun while loading or clearing it..sure there are other safe places to point your gun but if its more comfortable for you to point it at a bucket of sand then have at it...i'll mirror bikers kudos for at least thinking safely instead of jumping on the macho "its never happened to me" bandwagon....
    It makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't cost anything or hurt anyone to have this safety measure. Living in a small rural town I just go outside and point my weapon into the garden while chambering a round. If I was not able to do that a bucket of dry sand would be on my to do list.
    Make sure you keep the sand dry.

Michael

Sponsored Links