I shoot better with one hand...interesting

This is a discussion on I shoot better with one hand...interesting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shot 200 rounds at the range today. I got more bulls eyes and more near the center firing with just my right hand....I did fine ...

Thread: I shoot better with one hand...interesting

Shot 200 rounds at the range today. I got more bulls eyes and more near the center firing with just my right hand....I did fine with both hands, better than usual and sub par offhand..

anyone else shoot better one handed then two handed?!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I tend to shoot better with support. Strong hand only still meets my personal expectations. I can't honestly say that my one handed shooting comes closed to my supported. Only in certain circumstances, and on the run. Make of it what you will.

Some difference, but not too much. Two hands holds groups tighter when shooting bursts, 6rds/sec.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I do better with two, but I always thought it odd that my weak hand shoots about as good as my strong hand when shooting one-handed.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Shot 200 rounds at the range today. I got more bulls eyes and more near the center firing with just my right hand....I did fine with both hands, better than usual and sub par offhand..

I had something like your case happen to me once. I was shooting at my local range with my H&K USP Compact .40 S&W and my shots were going a bit low from where I wanted them to be so I was very frustrated. I went over and asked for some advice from an instructor at the range and he told me to check my grip, control my breathing and pay close attention to my trigger control and follow through. I did all that and my shots improved a little, but they were still low. Get this: I switched the weapon to my left hand (weak hand) and shot it one-handed. My first shot went right into the bullseye! I was freaked out. It turns out it was something wrong with my grip which since then I controlled, but that was so weird.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I do better with two hands, but I've noticed I shoot better with my left hand than right...my left hand has no bad habits in muscle memory, whereas my right hand I still have a few slight things in muscle memory I need to kick out.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You are not alone. Many folks shoot better one handed than with two. Many folks shoot better double action than single action. Many folks shoot better weak sided than strong side. The reason is bad habits that you over come when shooting in a manner that is not habit. Usually flinching or anticipating the shot. With practice and discipline you will overcome this and shoot better two handed or strong side.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Try shooting in a tactical scenario and see if you have the same results. Range plinking gives people a false sense of firearm skill sometimes.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Try shooting in a tactical scenario and see if you have the same results. Range plinking gives people a false sense of firearm skill sometimes.
    I feel it would translate well into a tactical scenario. I plan to enroll in some courses this year..the reason being I am also able to effectively point shoot better one handed as well. I didn't even need the sights :/. Maybe I have developed some bad two handed habits and I just feel free and relaxed and natural shooting right hand only...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post

Out of curiosity, when you shoot two-handed, is it from a Weaver style stance or an isosceles type stance?

I actually do better with both eyes closed! sure feels that way some days.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Sketch, thats a good thing, but not that uncommon. Most people will concentrate harder with a percieved handicapp, and shooting is 90 percent mental.

Additionally, I believe that shooting one handed is a very underrated, overlooked shooting skill. Keep it up, except practice shooting one handed with both weak and strong hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Out of curiosity, when you shoot two-handed, is it from a Weaver style stance or an isosceles type stance?
    Weaver

Additionally, I believe that shooting one handed is a very underrated, overlooked shooting skill. Keep it up, except practice shooting one handed with both weak and strong hands.
    Thanks glockman, I will :). I shot maybe...40 rounds weak handed that day. did worse than two handed but got that all within the target ring.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I was shocked how well I shot my LCP one handed, strong and weak side. Figured the light weight made it easy to hold steady.

I learned to shoot in the 60s, shooting a 1911 in the military one handed style taught back then. I still shoot about the same that way as I do using 2 hands

Links