Defensive Carry banner

The Glock grip IS different.

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  gigamortis 
#1 ·
Until I bought my Glock 30, most of my handgun experience was with revolvers. Yes, I had shot one 1911, it being a tricked-out, customized, accurized Colt that put to death all stories of how inaccurate they were (at least in my head), but other than that it was wheelguns in various calibers from .22 to .41 Mag. Each handled differently than the next, and I found none of them to be "bad," only different.

When I decided to try a semi, I did my research and read many posts where folks claimed Glocks didn't "feel right" or "point right." Regardless of the comments, I opted for the G30 as I'd always wanted a .45 ACP caliber and had only shot it once before.

I don't mind things being different; they are what they are. I can drive my Explorer just as well as my Chevy truck, without running off the road because the controls are slightly different.

I've put many rounds through my G30 now, and it hasn't been a problem. I don't put 10 shots into one ragged hole, but I don't do that with any handgun, although my .41 Blackhawk came pretty close.

So while watching the Seahawks take it to the Saints yesterday, I decided to do a light clean and lube on my G30 and my S&W 4566. As I often do, I ran a few dryfires while aiming at a duck on a painting of the far wall. I discovered two things:

1. Even when closing my eyes, pointing the 4566, and then opening my eyes, the sights were aligned on the 4566, although not necessarily on the duck.

2. Doing the same with the G30, I found that every time I opened my eyes, the pistol was most definitely pointing high--way high.

Placing one pistol on top of the other, the grip angle seems very close, the main difference being the palm swell on the G30. The 4566 has the factory straight grips, and it definitely points more "naturally."

One might assume that I would shoot high with the Glock, but I tend to shoot low with both pistols, particularly with the 4566.

I am conscious that when I hold the G30 in a two-hand combat hold that I roll my wrists forward, so shooting it has never been a problem. I just never noticed that much difference with it before.

I guess this could be a problem for some people, those who have trouble adapting to different grips, but since I shoot the G30 best of all my handguns, I continue to say it's not bad--just different!

See less See more
#2 ·
Exact same thing happens to me. When I push out with my Buddy's Glock, it is always pointing up a little. I have to consciously change my grip a little bit. My muscle memory isn't accustomed to the Glock's grip angle.

#3 ·
As a long-time 1911 shooter, I hated the feel of the Glock at first (we'll leave the trigger for another day). But I fell in love with the .357sig round and bought a G32 and found a screaming deal on a G19 for cheap shooting. It took some work, but I got used to the ergonomics of the Glocks and now am pretty proficient with them. I shoot both platforms each time I go to the range, and transition quite easily. As above, I can drive a truck, ride a motorcycle, and fly an airplane...why couldn't I shoot two different platforms?

#4 ·
I shoot 1911's too. I bought a Glock 30 yesterday and it's going to the range with me tomorrow. Going to feel weird because my 1911 is much slimmer and the Glock is bulky. something about it being bulky is appealing to me for some reason. It will take a little bit to get used to but no matter.......going to the range is fun for me no matter what I shoot with. :image035:

#5 ·
I can relate. I have that Ruger BH 41 mag, and it a real shooter. So are my Smith and Wessons, even thought he grip is totally different. I have come to feel very natural with the Glock grip, and actually prefer it to the 1911. I agree with the idea of your post.

#6 ·
So while watching the Seahawks take it to the Saints yesterday, I decided to do a light clean and lube on my G30 and my S&W 4566. As I often do, I ran a few dryfires while aiming at a duck on a painting of the far wall. I discovered two things:
Call it a time out? LOL! I go to my guns when all else fails actually. That's a good thing IMO...making time or seeing the time when available.

2. Doing the same with the G30, I found that every time I opened my eyes, the pistol was most definitely pointing high--way high.

Placing one pistol on top of the other, the grip angle seems very close, the main difference being the palm swell on the G30. The 4566 has the factory straight grips, and it definitely points more "naturally."

One might assume that I would shoot high with the Glock, but I tend to shoot low with both pistols, particularly with the 4566.

I am conscious that when I hold the G30 in a two-hand combat hold that I roll my wrists forward, so shooting it has never been a problem. I just never noticed that much difference with it before.

I guess this could be a problem for some people, those who have trouble adapting to different grips, but since I shoot the G30 best of all my handguns, I continue to say it's not bad--just different!
IMO....if the G30 is the only Glock you've ever owned, I can see what you're saying with the grip ordeal.
Aiming high, and shooting low. I sort of went through the same thing with my G30 a few years ago. The grip I'd been accustomed to for several years, just like my previous G21. Thing is, it wasn't the grip for me. The grip was nice. It was the muzzle heavy part that got me to looking for something else. I did well with my G30 at the range, and carried it a lot. There just came a point in time where I decided that compensating for the pistol's weight and balance just didn't cut it for me and CC. I still loved it for what it was, and the grip angle was no different than any of my other Glock pistols, just shorter and wider (which was good with the compact, double stack 45ACP. 10+1 rounds in the package was a simple feat and controllable. The G30 is still an excellent pistol. I simply cut my ties with it due to having to compensate for it more than I should need to. My G30 got traded for a larger frame 45ACP with less capacity. Go figure. One of those things that might happen.
Aiming high, and shooting low means one of three things. Improper sight alignment, anticipating recoil, or compensating for POI.
Work with your G30 until you've exhausted all options. That's what I did over a period of five years with my G30. I carry every pistol I own. At one time my G30 was going to be a HD pistol alone. That's when I started looking back to the 1911 models and what I cut my teeth on. never question circumstance. Everything happens for a reason.

#7 ·
any revolver I have tried to shoot or point I always feel like I am pointing the gun at the ground to get the sights to line up. It feels really awkward on my wrist. However a kel-tec, CZ 82, ruger 95 point perfectly for me Ill pick a look at it and point the pistol at it with my eyes closed almost always it is close to perfect on target. It all comes down to what you are accustomed to.

#8 ·
To butcher a line from "Quigly Down Under," I said I never had a use for a Glock; I didn't say I couldn't use one.

I can shoot the G30 fine. I trust its reliability explicitly. It's my everyday SD firearm. It's just that I'd never really noticed how differently it pointed if I didn't consciously point and aim. Slow sometimes, I guess.

And the CZ-82? Best little pistol I own. Now that one does point well and shoot even better. If it was a more potent caliber it would be my carry gun. It's a sweetie!

#9 ·
I owned a G30. I like the idea of the sub compact .45 (it is really a compact) and I was very accurate with it as well. BUT, I carry my CC IWB and found it just too wide and uncomfortable. I sold it and switched to the .40 G27 and am very happy with that weapon.

#10 ·
Everybody's hand is a little different. For me, the fullsize Glocks like the 17 and 22 point noticeably muzzle high in my hand. The midsize and baby Glocks point just about identical to my CZ and 1911 in my hand.

When choosing a Glock model, it's all about where the backstrap swell hits the palm of your strong hand. Choose accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.