Magazine Capacity

This is a discussion on Magazine Capacity within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this is a rather broad question but in light of recent events I need to ask. Why do you need/ want a 30 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Capacity

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Magazine Capacity

I know this is a rather broad question but in light of recent events I need to ask. Why do you need/ want a 30 round mag for a handgun? I'm all about you being able to own them, but why?

2. Remove Ads

Because I like to shoot a lot of **** without having to reload. Because it is fun. Because I live in a state where drug cartels roam and it is nice to know I have a 31 or 33 rounder in my back pocket just in case I run into something or someone out in the desert and can't get to my rifle. Because it is fun to shoot multiple targets with a hicap mag.

Some people would ask the questions:

Why do you need a firearm unless you are a hunter?

Why do you need a firearm at all?

The thing people are failing to realize is that scumbag was NOT a firearm owner nor was he interested in firearms. He was a crazed murderer interested in killing. I know three places in tucson right now I can go and buy a black market weapon for cheap. If he wanted it, he could have gotten it. If he had ten rounds, he still would have shot that woman in the face and killed others.

I think it's a legitimate question. I personally have no need or desire to own one. I support the right to have them, but they do nothing to further serve my needs.

I think you will get alot of responses based on emotion initially, on this topic, as we too are subceptable to knee jerk reactions.
    As far as seld defense roles, they really serve no purpose, and most of us being realistic acknowledge this. Actually, 99% of the people here or anywhere would be well served by six shots.
    The problem is we must stand together against any ban on any capacity, because we all know they won't be happy until the capacity is zero shots.

I have no need for a extended magazine in a handgun. If they were that benificial law enforcement would use them. That said I respect and support the rights of those who want them.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member
    I don't think they should be banned as I see they have some use to others. Personally I prefer to practice and train with what I'll be carrying.

It's just feel good legislation. Anyone with minimal training can carry 3 10 rounders and change them quickly and do just as much damage. And if you're Todd Jarrett you'd still be faster than a single 30.

what if he had two glock 17's with 10 round mags? or a third or fourth stuffed in his belt? the damage would have been similar. You can ban the capacity but you cannot ban the intent.

Murder and aggravated assault is against the law in Arizona, always has been.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I have to argue with law enforcement not using them, just because I know a few officers that have Non-standard Cap Mags, just not in the magazine pouches on their belt.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think it's a legitimate question. I personally have no need or desire to own one. I support the right to have them, but they do nothing to further serve my needs.
    Agreed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I want a drum fed 100 rounder for my G19... not really. I suppose some people wouldn't be happy even if we got back to a 4 foot long, 15 pound, muzzle loading, black powder musket for an EDC.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    I am fed up with naive, reactive attempts to regulate morality. From taking my shoes off in the airport, to the tangle of tax laws that I'm trying to comply with, to new ever-changing environmental regulations on my business that try to protect me from the trace amounts of asbestos in the glue underneath my floor tiles.

Sure - let someone else decide how many rounds your magazines are allowed to hold. While they're at it, why not decide what caliber is really necessary? Does anyone really need more power than a .22?

VIP Member

I think you will get alot of responses based on emotion initially, on this topic, as we too are subceptable to knee jerk reactions.
    As far as seld defense roles, they really serve no purpose, and most of us being realistic acknowledge this. Actually, 99% of the people here or anywhere would be well served by six shots.
    The problem is we must stand together against any ban on any capacity, because we all know they won't be happy until the capacity is zero shots.
    I agree. In OH, the 33 rnd mags are illegal. I don't want one, but I do feel I should be able to purchase one. Ohio's government is infringing on my right which, probably is a violation of 2A, but winning that argument is not likely.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Last night I tuned in to the Rachel Maddow show to see what was going on in lib world. No, I don't normally watch it but I wanted some insight.

She rattled off a long list of probably 12 to 15 other high fatality shootings of the past 20 years or so that were very similar or worse to the Az shooting. (I was not aware there were that many that had occurred that were this serious.)
    Then, for the theme of the show, she asked the question..."How will we prevent the next one from happening?"

She had an ATF agent on the show who was in agreement that there was no need for 30 round mags. He pointed out that his standard duty weapon is never issued with a 30 round mag. "if the ATF doesn't need them why does the general public?" "these magazines are used for one purpose and one purpose only...to kill as many people as possible."

As the show went on I never heard either of them suggest the elimination of handguns. (although I'm sure Maddow would if she could) The focus was solely on the high capacity magazine.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

OD*
    "if the ATF doesn't need them why does the general public?"
    Typical elitist mentality.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I think you will get a lot of responses based on emotion initially, on this topic, as we too are susceptible to knee jerk reactions.
    As far as self defense roles, they really serve no purpose, and most of us being realistic acknowledge this. Actually, 99% of the people here or anywhere would be well served by six shots.
    I agree with this post.

While it is by no means always true, it is possible that some of the popularity of high-capacity and very high-capacity magazines is because some folks are actually uncomfortable with the reload. Some may be downright scared of it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

That is because the ATF also has carbines with 30 round magazines.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links