Magazine Capacity +1

This is a discussion on Magazine Capacity +1 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I hope this is one of those "There is no dumb question" forums, because this might be the stupidest question you have ever ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Magazine Capacity +1

Magazine Capacity +1

Hello everyone,

I hope this is one of those "There is no dumb question" forums, because this might be the stupidest question you have ever heard.

I am a bit new to this, I shot a lot as a kid, and had lots of hand me downs, but all of the sudden I just got the sickness, and next thing I new I wanted to purchase a home protection device. My wife wanted a pump shotgun, but I talked her out of it somewhat, I wonder how she is going to get a barrel that large in between her and some monster holding her down on the bed. She finally caved.

So I went to Cabelas, and it was like fate. XDm 9mm, perfect for the both of us to shoot comfortably, and something I could eventually carry. Came with a great kit. Bought some FED JHP 124's to be at the ready, and a couple box of green box Remington to take to the range...

So, I know its a long explanation, but here is my question. The XDm 9mm is supposed to have two magazines, one 13+1 and one 19+1. So I load each magazine to its capacity, lock it in, chamber one, then I remove the magazine and load it to capacity again, and it just won't go all the way in. SO I have one chambered, and the magazine filled to capacity. What am I doing wrong? Or am I misunderstanding this "+1" terminology? Thanks for your time.

Dan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    You are understanding correctly. If it's a new magazine the spring is probably stiff at capacity and it will take a good shove to seat the magazine all the way.

ok so its okay to force it in?

Old proverb, "If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed replacin anyway!"

Give it a firm palm to seat it and you should be good to go. Their not really delicate in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    You are understanding correctly. If it's a new magazine the spring is probably stiff at capacity and it will take a good shove to seat the magazine all the way.
    ^^This.^^

Or look into an "uplula" to help load it. I quit having to load all my wife's ammo when I got one. Bonus! If you're wondering, they work great with just a bit of practice.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Butle...cts&Ntt=uplula
    rolyat63 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

awesome

thanks everyone, I think I will just deal with 18 and 12 +1 for now until it loosens up a bit.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    New mags are notorious for being "stiff' when fully loaded, often making inserting them difficult. Load the full and let them sit a few days. the mag spring will take its natural "set" and will be easier to load and insert.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome.

You might consider carrying your spare magazine downloaded by a roumd anyway. If you have to reload with the slide forward in a hurry you won't have to compress the stack of ammo against the bottom of the slide as hard. It's a little bit more insurance of reliability, and with most of a box of ammo in there anyway, one less won't matter.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

You are on the right track, you should be able to chamber a round and insert a fully loaded magazine into the pistol. You may try loading and unloading the magazines by hand several times to help the springs . I have not run into the problem you are having, my GLOCK 19 magazines load easily with the loading tool supplied by GLOCK and I've never had trouble inserting a full magazine.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

thanks again

Well a full magazine will load fine with the slide pulled back, but as soon as I chamber one and the slide is in its forward position is when I have an issue. I have never owned magazines that "doublestacked" so I was wondering if I had loaded them incorrectly. Thanks again for all the help. And thanks for the thoughtful responses and no poking.

Distinguished Member
    However you load and carry, congrats. We have an XD in the family too, they are terrific guns.

IMO......the whole +1 ordeal is only something I think about in competition. For carry, I just put in a fully loaded magazine, chamber a round, and go on down the road. Too much extra dealing with manipulations and stoking that extra round, or keeping a loading magazine and swapping to a full. Over-thinking things in my opinion. Carrying a spare magazine is good. One extra round trivial? Maybe for some, but I do my single stack the same way.
    bmcgilvray and Snider like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post
    Well a full magazine will load fine with the slide pulled back, but as soon as I chamber one and the slide is in its forward position is when I have an issue. I have never owned magazines that "doublestacked" so I was wondering if I had loaded them incorrectly. Thanks again for all the help. And thanks for the thoughtful responses and no poking.
    If you fully load a magazine can you push the top round down a bit with your fingers? It doesn't need to be too much. If you can then it should load. I know my SIG needed a good smack with new 10 round magazines. The 13 rounders had enough play in them new so they inserted easier. What happens is the top round is hitting the bottom of the breach block when you insert the magazine and needs to get pushed down a bit. But when the magazines are full the spring may be near full compression so it doesn't have much room left. When the slide cycles the round pops up and then the slide grabs it on it's way forward.

RKM
    My Glock mags filled to capacity with a round in the chamber is tight. Just smack it with the heel of your hand and make sure it clicks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links