Help me choose the proper Caliber Rifle (need to order asap)

This is a discussion on Help me choose the proper Caliber Rifle (need to order asap) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Fitch; Is that a Supergrade?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me choose the proper Caliber Rifle (need to order asap)

Hey Fitch;

Is that a Supergrade?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hey Fitch;

Is that a Supergrade?
    I think so. It's a supergrade stock and it says super grade on the floorplate. I inherited it from my dad. I've modified it since the picture was taken to add a recoil pad in place of the blued steel buttplate (much easier on my 68 year old shoulder), bedded the action and floated the barrel. It wasn't all that accurate before, but it's about an inch at 100 yards now:

I adjusted the scope up 4 clicks between the two groups. Range was 100 yards, sitting position using the sling. Not bad for an old fart now that I think about it. I'm not as flexiable as I used to be. Can't stay in sitting position for an aftenoon like I could when I was younger. I still like to sight a rifle in from field positions - it sometimes won't shoot to the same place if it's sighted in off a bench rest. This turned out to be about perfectly zeroed at 200 yards. This is a good shooting load and it drops deer like a hammer.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Sure sounds like a Supergrade to me. Say, that is good shooting indeed!

So you use IMR 4350 with a 150 grain bullet. That is one of my rifle's favorite combinations.

Here's it's well-worn brother. Wonder if they stood in a rack in the Winchester factory together?

I've taken more deer with this rifle than all the other rifles around here combined.

Slim 45;

Sure hope you will post your new rifle soon. It would be nice to see the rifle and scope set-up and hear of a range trip with it.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

VIP Member
    I took a nice 4x5 mule deer several years ago at 535 yards with my 30.06 and a 3x9 scope. I love the 30.06 caliber, it works great for all the big game here from deer to elk to bear to moose to bison. You can't go wrong with this well proven caliber. The Federal Premium 180 gr. Nosler Accubond is my favorite load (and the load I took that deer with).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I took a nice 4x5 mule deer several years ago at 535 yards with my 30.06 and a 3x9 scope. I love the 30.06 caliber, it works great for all the big game here from deer to elk to bear to moose to bison. You can't go wrong with this well proven caliber. The Federal Premium 180 gr. Nosler Accubond is my favorite load (and the load I took that deer with).
    Nosler AccuBond is a real hammer of a bullet. I like that bullet a lot. The bullet of choice in my 7mag is the 160g Nosler AB - starts out fast and doesn't slow down much till it hits something.

I also like the Barnes TSX and TTSX a lot in my .30-06. That bullet peels open to 2X it's starting diameter (big hole) and keeps ~98% of it's weight (good penetration). Big hole + lots of penetration = meat in the freezer.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Sure sounds like a Supergrade to me. Say, that is good shooting indeed!

So you use IMR 4350 with a 150 grain bullet. That is one of my rifle's favorite combinations.

Here's it's well-worn brother. Wonder if they stood in a rack in the Winchester factory together?
    Ohhh, that's nice! Don't know if they were there at the same time, but that's a fine looking example of a pre '64 Winchester Sporter. Rugged, reliable - those rifles are genuine meat locker filling machines. Go where there's game, come home with food. What's to not like?

Fitch

My old Model 70 is a little shabby looking but it came to me 25 years ago pretty much looking the same way. It had been heavily used and from wear appearances on the barrel's sides and fore arm checkering, it had been in and out of a saddle scabbard many times. Has a bright bore though and a smooth action. It also must have stood for some years unused in a gun cabinet, exposed to sun light or else did time in a rack in a pickup's rear window as the right side of the stock is badly faded. The left side of the stock still exhibits the typical darker factory hue. It was so much fun to find and then pick up for cheap, as it was stuffed in with a large stack of junky sporterized Mausers, all piled in the corner of a dusty old pawn shop in Hillsboro, Texas. One of my more enjoyable gun-buying finds. It gratefully replaced a finicky Ruger Model 77 .30-06 and has been an accurate deer getter for me for years now. Wish it could talk though.

The .30-06 is almost too much gun on Texas whitetail though it will unquestionably do the job. I've shot more with Sierra's 180 grain spitzer than anything else simply because it expands a little less. Both Sierra 150 grain spitzers and Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt bullets really come unwound upon impact. So does the Sierra 165 grain spitzer.

"LanceORYGUN" I did get the scope, rings, base & cover's ALL in matte black.....The rifle's barrel, trigger & bolt are silver (like yours) & I will be looking at those "Burris Signature Rings and bases"
    I also put a Leupold 3-9x40 VXII scope (w/ LR Duplex reticle), mounts, rings & some awesome Flip-up len's covers All made by Leupold & All in a "matte black"
    "FITCH" I hope i look that good when iam 58 (lol) beautiful rifle Is your VXII a gloss finish?

Thanks "SIGMANLUKE" i will try it out & heck if u buy 2 boxes right now u get a 3rd FREE (check their web site) !!!!

"CHIVVALRY" I should have typed 150 in there...I have always been told not to go past 150 with a 30-30 & ill tell you my 30-30 does not even like to target shoot past that distance, it is a very good rifle for MI whitetail in a wooded area (rifle is short & very light)...Its just how i feel
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

By the way i called Remington today & the guy i talked to said he does alot of "long range target" shooting & has used his his 30-06 out to 600 yards with a 4-12x40 scope...He also told me that the 30-06 is easily capable of killing "deer" sized game @ 500 yards & "bear" @ 300 yards....
    Not sure if he was just selling me the rifle or not but he sure sounded convincing

I also called Leupold today & they said i can reach out to 500 yards w/a 3-9x40 but the 4-12x40 would be best at that distance. Now i dont know if ill even get to shoot at something that range but i sure would love to try on a Target Range (would love to learn)

Either way iam feeling good about the 30-06 purchase (its kinda like my good ol 45acp been around for a hundred years)

Its just the scope i was questioning but i think i will definitely stay with the VXII in 3-9x40 (LR Duplex reticle) sounds as if thats all ill need. Besides the 500 yard "kill" shoot is just a dream in my head right now. I just didnt want to be mad later wishing i bought the 4-12x40 but considering what you all say & Leupold told me iam sticking with the 3-9x40 (x3 probably works better for those closer MI shots anyway)...

Thanks for all your help everyone & ill post pic's as soon as i get it out of law-away
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Seriously Lance, let it go.
    So it is OK for everyone else here to advocate the 30-06, but wrong for anyone to praise the 270 Winchester???

I made a perfectly valid point. Those heavy high coefficient .30 caliber Sierra bullets aren't even designed for hunting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    So it is OK for everyone else here to advocate the 30-06, but wrong for anyone to praise the 270 Winchester???

I made a perfectly valid point. Those heavy high coefficient .30 caliber Sierra bullets aren't even designed for hunting.

Bro, the 30-06 is a legend. It has taken more game animals than any other caliber. There is no questioning it's versatility and it's effectiveness. The .270 is also a fine rifle caliber with many positives. To argue one over the other is just silly. It's like arguing what's better, a Macintosh or a Delicious apple. They are both apples.

Plus the guy already bought his rifle. Let it go.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Plus the guy already bought his rifle. Let it go.

I had a perfect right to make those points, and you are totally out of line here in criticizing me for simply expressing my opinion and adding some further valid facts to an on-going discussion.

I was simply replying to someone that had responded to one of my earlier posts. That's a discussion, and I don't see why you feel that you are so special that you have the right to determine when any discussion here ends. That's totally inappropriate for you to do, in my opinion.

The only person here that has extended this thread and taken it off topic is yourself.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    OK, I think that both of you have good arguments but are just simply arguing back and forth with no reason. The .30-06 Springfield, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester and so forth are all fantastic calibers. The OP asked for advice on calibers, but he was already leaning towards the .30-06 since his father recommended it as he is an avid hunter and it was available for the Remington 700 rifle model he wanted. Therefore, the majority here recommended that cartridge and now he bought it. End of story.

As far as the .270 Winchester, I have never used it or owned a rifle in that caliber but it is widely used among hunters all over the World and I have read that it is fantastic. I want to own a rifle in that cartridge. Therefore, let's not begin a caliber war with a bunch of scientific and ballistic stats because the bottom line is that both cartridges do their job: kill their targets and fill freezers all over America.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Therefore, let's not begin a caliber war with a bunch of scientific and ballistic stats because the bottom line is that both cartridges do their job: kill their targets and fill freezers all over America.
    This is my exact point. See post # 20

Lance will now be only the second person I've ever added to my ignore list.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    OK, I think that both of you have good arguments but are just simply arguing back and forth with no reason.
    You don't seem to understand what I am discussing here in my last two messages. I was no longer discussing the .270 vs .30-06 performance comparsion, but my simple right to be able to answer responses to earlier posts that I made in this thread.

I don't understand at all why atctimmy criticized me for simply following up on bmcgilvray's comments regarding my earlier statement about ballistic coefficients. All I was doing was further explaining and elaborating on the reason I used in making my earlier post. So I was simply clarifying my previous statement, and expanding on the logic behind it. Don't I have the right to make my viewpoints as clear as possible here on this forum, and be able to fully explain them?

I don't see how anyone here could feel that it was wrong for me to do that. And that is why I took exception to atctimmy's criticism of me for following up further. That was most unfair of him to do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links