Help me choose the proper Caliber Rifle (need to order asap)

This is a discussion on Help me choose the proper Caliber Rifle (need to order asap) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iam hoping you all can help me in making the correct decision The problem is iam not a Rifle ammunition's expert but i do know ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me choose the proper Caliber Rifle (need to order asap)

Iam hoping you all can help me in making the correct decision
    The problem is iam not a Rifle ammunition's expert but i do know which rifle i want (Remington 700 XCR) w/the silver barrel/trigger/bolt assembly...
    My problem is the original XCR (in silver) is being replaced with the XCR2 (in black) & i really want the silver. Iam a newbie to caring about rifle caliber (unlike pistol..lol) & hunting anything but white tail deer, the only rifle i currently own is a 30-30 my dad gave me years ago which is a 100 yard max rifle....
    I want a rifle to shoot accurately to appx 300 yards & be able to hunt deer as well as larger game like Bear, since my dad & I will be going on a Bear hunt this year. Dad has went on numerous Bear hunts with a Bow (but i will not) & therefore need a larger caliber rifle.
    Dad likes the .30-06 & before i buy this rifle (i finally found a new one) i would like your opinions as i have always got good advice on here....Thanks

*Also is a 3-9x40 a good scope option for this rifle's capabilities ( will be a Leaupold ) ?

Last edited by Slim_45; January 13th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You will be fine with either 30-06 Springfield, .300WM or 338 Remington. Nonetheless, I think that the 30-06 Springfield would be a fantastic caliber for your new Remington 700 XCR. The .30-06 Springfield is the # 1 in sales among all big-game cartridges with the major ammunition manufacturers, and it is always in the top five most popular calibers among buyers and sellers of bolt-action rifles. It will serve you well for white tail deer and bear hunting. Some people claim that the 30-06 Springfield is a benchmark by which big-game cartridge performance is compared. Therefore, listen to your dad...he knows better!

Don't forget to get a very good scope as well. I use Leupold or Bushnell in all my rifles. Take a look at the Bushnell 6500 Elite series. It is a fantastic scope, but not as expensive as some of the higher end scopes like the Leupold Mark 4 series or the Swarovski scopes.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Assuming that you will be hunting in Michigan as your location states on your profile, 30-06 would be a great rifle round for the Michigan black bear as long as you do your part. My primary rifle for deer hunting is .308 and for bear I use either my grand fathers old 7mm Rem Mag or my .300 Win Short Mag. For hunting in Michigan which I do a great deal of, you can't go wrong with a 30-06. If you plan on hunting something larger than black bear or really need to reach out and touch something I think the .300 short mag would do the trick.

.30-06 is hard to go wrong with. What kind of bear? Grizzlies or black? That makes a bit of difference. .308 is also a superb rifle round, capable of doing a lot of things very well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Majority Rules >30 06 Would be more than ya need JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

DrJ
    I have a Remington 700 in .308 (but with the black barrel). .308 is a great cartridge for most game. I don't hunt bear, but if I did, I'd probably agree with the others and go 30-06. Regardless, its an awesome rifle, and you'll love it. A good 3-9x40 scope will be fine for much of what you're looking for, but if you're really looking to shoot 300+ yards, I would personally go a bit higher power, at least a 12x.

VIP Member
    I will add another vote for the 30/06 also. With the proper bullet it is capable of taking any game in North America.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A good 3-9x40 scope will be fine for much of what you're looking for, but if you're really looking to shoot 300+ yards, I would personally go a bit higher power, at least a 12x
    I dont really know, most shots will be 200 or less..I just figure this rifle is capable of accurate shots at 300 (i think) & if it is i dont want to buy too small a scope but i also dont want too waste money on a scope that my rifle is not capable of using to its potential (Leaupolds get pricey quick)

*At least iam feeling confident in my caliber choice now but please dont hold back if there is something i should know.........Thanks everyone
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Go with the .308.

The .308 uses a short action whereas the .30-06 uses a long action.
    Lots of people will tell you that the 06 is better for bear, but the same wieght bullet shot from the 06 is only about 50 FPS faster.
    Many blackbears are killed with a .308, so it'll do it. The 06 only shines when used with 180+ bullets.
    A great scope is one of the Nikons, in fact some of them are brighter than the Leupolds and cost much less.

I'd get the stainless 700 in .308 with a 39 Nikon and call it good. It'll do everything you want it to do and it'll be lighter to carry and its a softer shooting rifle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have lots of rifles but my go to rifle and the one I'd trust most for the hunting you describe is the .30-06.

I like .30-06 for its handloading flexibility. I like .30 180 grain bullets and have used even heavier weights. May only be happenstance but, in my experience, the .30-06 yields more than 50 fps higher velocity than the .308 in chronograph testing over the years. i I have both. Nothing wrong with the .308, mind you and Texas whitetail deer can't tell the difference.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Go with the .308.
    The Remington 700 XCR is not available in 308 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    Iam hoping you all can help me in making the correct decision
    The problem is iam not a Rifle ammunition's expert but i do know which rifle i want (Remington 700 XCR) w/the silver barrel/trigger/bolt assembly...
    My problem is the original XCR (in silver) is being replaced with the XCR2 (in black) & i really want the silver. Iam a newbie to caring about rifle caliber (unlike pistol..lol) & hunting anything but white tail deer, the only rifle i currently own is a 30-30 my dad gave me years ago which is a 100 yard max rifle....
    I want a rifle to shoot accurately to appx 300 yards & be able to hunt deer as well as larger game like Bear, since my dad & I will be going on a Bear hunt this year. Dad has went on numerous Bear hunts with a Bow (but i will not) & therefore need a larger caliber rifle.
    Dad likes the .30-06 & before i buy this rifle (i finally found a new one) i would like your opinions as i have always got good advice on here....Thanks

*Also is a 3-9x40 a good scope option for this rifle's capabilities (will be a "Leaupold" in silver of course)?

For your needs, a better choice would be to get the rifle in 270 Winchester. It has slightly less recoil than the .30-06 due to its lighter weight bullets. And it shoots flatter too. And ammo is just as plentiful and affordable as the .30-06

It is just about the ideal long range deer hunting round, due to its flatter trajectory. And Black Bears are not difficult to kill at all. Even big ones. A friend of my late Dad killed several large Black Bears with a Colt 1911 Gold Cup in .45 ACP The 270 Winchester will be plenty of gun for them too.

If you lived out west and were planning to also hunt Elk or Grizzly Bear, then I would recommend a .30 caliber

PS -- I agree with you about the natural stainless finish look being better. But apparently enough customers complained that they thought that game would notice the rifle more, so Remington decided to coat the new stainless guns over.

I honestly don't like the look of a silver scope on a stainless gun, though. For some reason, a regular black matte scope just looks better to me. Here is one of my stainless Remington 700's, with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x scope mounted on it using Burris Signature Rings and bases:

I would definitely recommend that you consider the Nikon Monarch scope line. For big game, the 2.5-10x or 3-12x models are both very popular.

What I don't recommend doing is buying a really nice deluxe hunting rifle, and then putting an inexpensive scope on it. A high end rifle like the XCR deserves a good scope.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    I dont really know, most shots will be 200 or less..I just figure this rifle is capable of accurate shots at 300 (i think) & if it is i dont want to buy too small a scope but i also dont want too waste money on a scope that my rifle is not capable of using to its potential (Leaupolds get pricey quick)

*At least iam feeling confident in my caliber choice now but please dont hold back if there is something i should know.........Thanks everyone
    I think you are pretty much covered with the .30-06 Springfield caliber. With regards to your scope, I insist on the Bushnell 6500 Elite series scopes. They are constantly ranked among the top 10 rifle scopes, but they are very affordable and of high quality, solid construction and amazing precision. The Swarovski and Leupold rifle scopes are the top of the line in terms of quality, but yes, they get pricey VERY quickly. Therefore, check out the Bushnell and you won't be disappointed. Don't forget that a rifle scope is usually the same or more expensive than the rifle itself and it will account as equal than your rifle's functionality.

In my opinion, these are the top 10 best rifle scopes:

1. Swarovski Z6 5-30x50mm BR
    2. Swarovski Z5 5-25x52mm BRX
    3. Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T MI
    4. Valdada IOR 9-36x56mm
    5. Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm
    6. Swarovski Z6 3-18x50mm BR
    7. Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target
    8. Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T MI
    9. Zeiss Victory 6-24x56mm
    10. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm-NPRZ (Zero Stop)

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    A buddy of mine has the exact rifle you are getting. His is a .30-06. It's a freezer filler for sure.

I'm an avid hunter, own two .30-06 hunting rifles (one of them is a 1953 Winchester Model 70 with a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-II that has the LR duplex reticle). I was born and raised in MI. .30-06 Spr is a great cartridge for hunting in MI. You can buy ammo at every hardware and sporting good store in the state, even some gas stations out in the woods. You can reload for it - it's an easy cartridge to load. Recoil is no problem, no muzzle brake required. And it will drop any game you are after at any practical range in the MI woods. You can load it up with light bullets for varmints and coyotes too.

For almost all your deer hunting any of the good soft point hunting ammo with a 150g bullet, or any ammo with the Barnes TSX bullet will work really well. For bear go up to a 180g soft point bullet, or Nosler AccuBond, and have at it.

The 3-9x40mm Luepold VX-II with the bullet drop reticle works perfectly to 500 yards with 150 grain bullets - no know twisting, pick the dot, breathe, squeeze, meat in the freezer. Use 150g ammo with a MV of 3,000 fps, zero the rifle at 200 yards, and Ur good to go.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

In my opinion, these are the top 10 best rifle scopes:
    Swarovski Z6 5-30x50mm BR
    Swarovski Z5 5-25x52mm BRX
    Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T MI
    Valdada IOR 9-36x56mm
    Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm
    Swarovski Z6 3-18x50mm BR
    Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target
    Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T MI
    Zeiss Victory 6-24x56mm
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm-NPRZ (Zero Stop)
    That could be a list of best varmint hunting scopes for hunting small game. For Deer there is certainly no need for that kind of high magnification at normal hunting distances.

Those scopes are also rather large, bulky, and heavy. I certainly would never want to have a big game rifle with such a huge scope as some of those on that list are.

The smaller Bushnell Elite 2.5-16x 42mm version would indeed be a great hunting scope. It is just over a pound in weight. And while at $750 is expensive, it is not outrageous like some of the others listed. And it would not be too bulky. Your #1 scope the Swarovski 5-30x50 Z6 30mm Riflescope costs $2,200 street price. That is dramatically more than what a Model 700 XCR rifle costs.

I own 3 of the Nikon Monarch 4-16x 42mm scopes. They have all the power one needs for big game hunting. Bud's Gun Shop.com has them for only $350 Even their 5-20x 44mm model is only $425

Heck, I've killed marmots the size of a large cat at 400 yards using 16x magnification.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links