A Bunch of Questions from a Beginner

This is a discussion on A Bunch of Questions from a Beginner within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So guys/gals being brand new to shooting, tonight was my third trip to the range. I have a bunch of question I would like to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bunch of Questions from a Beginner

So guys/gals being brand new to shooting, tonight was my third trip to the range. I have a bunch of question I would like to ask and see what you think.

1. Why is it that even at very close range 8 feet, when I know that i'm locked in, feeling comfortable with coach standing by, do I shoot a couple right on target and then one lands way out of the circle, what happened??? or if i'm locked on target and a bunch are landing way out of the circle in one area, I have to over compensate to the point of it not feeling natural.

2. Is there a website and/or books that explain the science of shooting and bullet travel trajectory? so that when I move that target way down range, I can adjust with more precision than simply assuming the bullet will travel upward??

3. Any highly recommended books/DVD to help me move from beginner to intermediate/advanced?

4. Any that specialize in how to shoot snub nose revolvers?

I think i've got the fever.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    A competent trainer and practice. Rome wasn't built in a day. You'll get it, just be patient.

Nothing beats a good instructor, who can give you instant feedback and show you proper technique. Also, use this as reference.diagnostictarget.jpg
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Practice, practice, and more practice. Then repeat. A good coach and trainer will accelerate the process and the improvements, so just keep at it. Welcome to DC. You'll get it.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    It’s impossible for any of us to determine the erratic pattern without being with you as you shoot. Principles and technique can be studied in books and from watching the many YouTube videos. However, there is no substitute for actual shooting with the guidance of a good trainer.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Get into a course...a self-defense pistol course!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    FWIW a snubby is not an ideal training weapon. The short barrel tends to contribute to excessive felt recoil. Try using low power target loads for practice, but get in a few rounds of your chosen high dollar self defense ammo so you'll be prepared for the difference.

Congratulations on your decision to provide for your own self defense, both by getting a gun and learning how to shoot it. You've got a long fun journey ahead of you. One thing to keep in mind: You can get a small semi-auto of about the same size and weight of that snubby, that carries twice as much ammo before you need to reload. Five rounds goes awful fast when a group of thugs jumps you.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Paramedic, (and others) thanks for your thoughtful reply. I got a XDM as well as the Ruger. Here's to hoping I never have to use it!!

New to shooting? I recommend the following:

1. Start with a .22....cheap(er) ammo and you can burn through a lot of it without selling your blood. Practice your sight picture, trigger control, and getting rounds on target.
    2. Take a basic pistol class. Seriously. Learn the basics from an instructor who can objectively judge your stance, grip, and technique. Learn the basics. Practice the basics. Don't start off with failure to stop drills or defensive shooting if you can't keep rounds in the X ring.
    3. Take the lessons learned from the instructor and shoot methodically....not necessarily quickly.
    4. When you've mastered the above, move up to a larger caliber...and do the same. This includes taking another basic class with your defensive weapon. When you've mastered the basics of your defensive weapon, seek additional defensive shooting classes.
    5. Take those lessons learned...and practice, practice, practice (Also worth mentioning: Get a quality holster for your defensive carry gun; wear a quality gun belt; you don't need a holster for your .22 practice gun)

Just my 2 cents....YMMV
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Have someone (an instructor) show you the proper stance and grip to start with. The rest will be to learn to control the trigger pull, and that will take some practice. The image in post #3 will show you what you are doing wrong if you consistently shoot off the point of aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    It’s impossible for any of us to determine the erratic pattern without being with you as you shoot. Principles and technique can be studied in books and from watching the many YouTube videos. However, there is no substitute for actual shooting with the guidance of a good trainer.

VERY TRUE; I was taught my my Dad, the most effective thing he ever did as I went off target was stop the shooting then ask me what do you think is happening here...... It caused me to think about it and to refocus.. in the long run that worked for me as I becam very proficient with hand guns rifles and a pretty good trap shooter all thanks to pratice and the foundation my dad gave me... No one is good at anything right away focus think and do not put un needed pressure on yourself.

VIP Member
    Many good suggestions here, I'll add that the easiest and least expensive way to learn trigger control is through dry fire practice. Get your instructor or other knowledgeable source to teach you how to do it properly, then do a lot of it. Practice trigger reset and learn the breaking point of the trigger on your EDC.

I was going to post the same target that boricua did, when I was first learning, it helped me quite a bit.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; January 14th, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    My suggestion is to slow down. I know I have a bad habit of starting off at a slow pace making good shots then speeding up and then getting off target. Find a comfortable pace where you can go though all the fundamentals and make good shots. Work on building the muscle memory first the speed will come later.

Answers from a relative new guy - aka 2 years under my belt
    1- Often times when you have a bullet randomly out of group you anticipated recoil. Typically WHen you are new to shooting the recoil and sound and whole think makes you a little nervous. You dont want to make a mistake / do something wrong and be dangerous. At least this is how I started. Remember the basics pull the trigger smoothly and let the shot surprise you or to say dont try and anticipate the shot. Have a solid grip and practicing smooth trigger pulls. go shooting with people and learn something good from each one. A class is always a good idea.
    2 - I wouldnt worry about trajectory or science of shooting. Good fundamentals and following the rules will get you very far.

3. good ?
    4 - It is a snubbie accuracy at distance isnt going to be great. Just like a pocket .380

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Nothing beats a good instructor, who can give you instant feedback and show you proper technique. Also, use this as reference.diagnostictarget.jpg

I keep a copy of this in my range bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links