I want a . . . a .38 Super?

This is a discussion on I want a . . . a .38 Super? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the March/April 2011 issue of American Handgunner, John Taffin has a very informative article on the .38 Super. It is an interesting read....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I want a . . . a .38 Super?

In the March/April 2011 issue of American Handgunner, John Taffin has a very informative article on the .38 Super. It is an interesting read.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I once owned a .38 Super. A Kimber Pro Carry HD-II. It shot wonderfully when it worked. I had many FTE and stovepipes, especially when using PMC ammo. Reloads are tricky as there are two types of brass, standard .38 Super and .38 Super +P which has a reduced case capacity resulting in higher pressures. They are hard to come by and priced accordingly.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    From my understanding,the police in Mexico can't carry anything bigger than 9mm and the 38 super falls into that category,the military can carry 40 and above.many of the gun stores down here carry 38 super 1911's
    According to the American Rifleman article, Mexico outlawed anyone using military rounds, which included .45 ACP and 9mm. So that relegated the Mexican police and civilians to something else: the .38 Super.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The Super is a great round and has been for 80+ years, but you guys are making it like it just showed up.
    In the 30's it was the choice of LE and gangsters alike since it was hot enough to penetrate the body armor as well as the car bodies of the time.
    The headspacing on the rim issues were taken care of a few decades ago and Mexico outlawed the use of military calibers decades ago as well. 1911s in .38 Super have been popular with everyone down there since, though I'm pretty sure that the "no military caliber" law has absolutely no effect on whatsoever on the calibers chosen by drug cartels.
    Also, all .38 Super is +P, to differentiate it from the .38ACP, which is the same round at lower pressures around 26500 vs 36500.
    The rimless 9x23 case is the same length but it is tapered, like the 9x19, and operates at a much higher pressure - 40000+ - and the cases are much thicker.

I've thought about getting a 1911 in .38 super as well. It's always been on the to get list. But I've just never gotten around to getting one.

Hopefully that will change someday.

I enjoy my .38 super for USPSA open division- I have never considered one for personal defense--nor am I familiar with its ballistics in that regard. I'll have to check it out! I can tell you that .38 super ammo can be tough to come by, unless you reload. I guess I could find some American Eagle brand if I looked really hard, but it isn't personal defense grade.

I use rimless in my competition gun, I was told that rimless is less likely to cause feeding problems d/t the angle at which the case feeds---mine has always performed well, but I know quite a few very good shooters who use regular rimmed cases. I'd be interested to know if people have a preference between the two for personal defense.

Good thread!

Put me down as wanting a .38 Super. It's a good looking handgun round. Everything the 9mm has been cracked up to be but really isn't.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Gunbroker has quite a few guns in .38 Super

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    I've thought about getting a 1911 in .38 super as well. It's always been on the to get list. But I've just never gotten around to getting one.

Hopefully that will change someday.
    Ditto.

One of the best things about a 1911 in 38 Super is that it only requires a barrel swap to shoot 9mm. The breach face is the same, and the 38 Super mags and extractor can be used for both.

I'd love to get an Officer size or a bobtailed commander in 38 Super. Carry the Super (Buffalo Bore makes a pretty potent HP round) and use 9mm at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Ditto.

One of the best things about a 1911 in 38 Super is that it only requires a barrel swap to shoot 9mm. The breach face is the same, and the 38 Super mags and extractor can be used for both.
    I did not know that. Thanks.

My buddy had a 1911 in .38 Super that I used to borrow all the time when we went into the desert. I still kick myself for not buying it when he went to Korea....
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Anyone know it rates as SD ammo, say in comparison to .45acp?

I take it you can't swap a 1911 45 slide for a Super slide - or can you. I'd love to try the round and I need a slide for a 45 1911 I have, and I was going to buy it from Colt anyway - I'm sure they sell slides for .38 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Anyone know it rates as SD ammo, say in comparison to .45acp?
    A 125gr JHP at 1350fps - it'll take care of business.

I would like to pick up a 1911 in .38 Super myself, though I have to admit my desire to get ahold of one has gone down since I got a 357 SIG barrel for my P229.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I take it you can't swap a 1911 45 slide for a Super slide - or can you.
    No you can't, the breech face is smaller than the .45ACP rim.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    No you can't, the breech face is smaller than the .45ACP rim.
    I think you can. As long as the entire slide is swapped.

The frame is the same, given the same size gun. The Super needs a different barrel, magazine, extractor and breech face size than 45ACP, but the frame should be good to go. So a slide swap shouldn't be a problem, assuming the feed ramp geometry is the same for both rounds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links