Defensive Carry banner

I want a . . . a .38 Super?

21K views 59 replies 42 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
Okay, there's some gun each of us wants simply for the sake of just wanting it, right? No real need, just want.

I owned a .41 Magnum in Alaska when everyone else carried .44 Mags. I wanted the .41 and shot it better than most shot their .44s.

I bought a TC Contender in .30 Herritt because I wanted a round that was powerful and unique, and I didn't mind having to make my own cases. And powerful it was!

Unfortunately, both are long gone. Now I've decided I want a caliber that has always been on my long list--the .38 Super.

Something about this flat-shooting round has always intrigued me. With careful handloading, it's basically a .357 Magnum in a semi-auto case. While commercial ammo is available, I prefer to reload most of my ammo, saving the factory stuff for SD purposes, although I'd serve up my reloads if need be.

So, any .38 Super shooters out there that might offer up some advice or "Super" wisdom?

#3 ·
Soon as a saw your thread this old article in "American Rifleman" I read over the summer popped in my head and I thought you'd like it ?? http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/the-super-38/ Sounds like a great round good luck with it wish I could give more than an old article.

“Beware the man who owns only one gun; he probably knows how to use it.” I would append to that: “Beware the man who carries a .38 Super; he knows what he’s doing.”

#4 ·
I've often wondered why the .38 Super isn't more popular, since it is so favored by competition shooters.

I have no experience with them, but I've read that the recoil is quite mild for a cartridge of such high pressure.

rson63, I remember that article and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had forgotten about it, until you posted it; thanks.

#9 ·
I have wanted one for quite some while. I am even collecting the brass. I think the reason it did not become a major round is because they were more of a target shooters round and then the 9MM became popular in the US and was deemed good enough for personal protect and law enforcement without all of the extra things that go along with power of a 38 super. They were also a little slow working out some of the reliability issues with the 38 super. I believe this was because it was primarly used by long range competion shooters and the occasional miss feed was not that big of deal.
My question is that a small case or what. I want one on a 1911 platform, but it is easy for me to imagine a small single stack package just right for pocket carry. Springfield EMP 38 Super $750.

#13 ·
They were also a little slow working out some of the reliability issues with the 38 super. I believe this was because it was primarly used by long range competion shooters and the occasional miss feed was not that big of deal.
My understanding is that early Supers headspaced on the thin rim and some guns had problems with that. Modern--whatever that means--Supers headspace on the case mouth like other straight-walled pistol cases.

I think I'll start hitting the LGSs and see if any have someting used. If not, I'll have to invest in a couple more Lotto tickets and look for something new.

#10 ·
OldVet,
I own 3 1911s. Two are 45 acp and one is 38 super. The super is a Springfield mil-spec with a parkerized finish. I can honestly say that my favored for carry and range is the super even though it cost far less than my others. It recoils like a 9mm, even when shooting Corbon 115gr 1,450fps ammo or the Georgia Arms 124gr 1,350fps stuff.
I also like the idea of having 10 rounds available. I have fired 1,000+ rounds with no hiccups and it is extremely flat shooting and accurate.
Springfield stopped making the 1911 38 super 7-8 years ago, except for the bar-b-que model. However, every so often they come available.
Go ahead and get one. You will love it, especially if you reload.

#12 ·
Colt 1911's in 38 Super are the pistol of choice in the Drug Cartel War in Mexico currently. The ammo is certainly effective, as countless folks are being killed with it every week in Mexico.

Double Tap ammo makes a hot self-defense load with a bonded 125 JHP at 1,350 fps, which basically matches the performance of the .357 Sig

Here are some photos of 1911's in .38 Super that have been confiscated from Mexican Drug Cartels members by the Mexican authorities:

#14 ·
From my understanding,the police in Mexico can't carry anything bigger than 9mm and the 38 super falls into that category,the military can carry 40 and above.many of the gun stores down here carry 38 super 1911's

#18 ·
According to the American Rifleman article, Mexico outlawed anyone using military rounds, which included .45 ACP and 9mm. So that relegated the Mexican police and civilians to something else: the .38 Super.

#17 ·
I once owned a .38 Super. A Kimber Pro Carry HD-II. It shot wonderfully when it worked. I had many FTE and stovepipes, especially when using PMC ammo. Reloads are tricky as there are two types of brass, standard .38 Super and .38 Super +P which has a reduced case capacity resulting in higher pressures. They are hard to come by and priced accordingly.

#19 ·
The Super is a great round and has been for 80+ years, but you guys are making it like it just showed up.
In the 30's it was the choice of LE and gangsters alike since it was hot enough to penetrate the body armor as well as the car bodies of the time.
The headspacing on the rim issues were taken care of a few decades ago and Mexico outlawed the use of military calibers decades ago as well. 1911s in .38 Super have been popular with everyone down there since, though I'm pretty sure that the "no military caliber" law has absolutely no effect on whatsoever on the calibers chosen by drug cartels.
Also, all .38 Super is +P, to differentiate it from the .38ACP, which is the same round at lower pressures around 26500 vs 36500.
The rimless 9x23 case is the same length but it is tapered, like the 9x19, and operates at a much higher pressure - 40000+ - and the cases are much thicker.

#24 ·
Ditto.

One of the best things about a 1911 in 38 Super is that it only requires a barrel swap to shoot 9mm. The breach face is the same, and the 38 Super mags and extractor can be used for both.

I'd love to get an Officer size or a bobtailed commander in 38 Super. Carry the Super (Buffalo Bore makes a pretty potent HP round) and use 9mm at the range. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
I enjoy my .38 super for USPSA open division- I have never considered one for personal defense--nor am I familiar with its ballistics in that regard. I'll have to check it out! I can tell you that .38 super ammo can be tough to come by, unless you reload. I guess I could find some American Eagle brand if I looked really hard, but it isn't personal defense grade.

I use rimless in my competition gun, I was told that rimless is less likely to cause feeding problems d/t the angle at which the case feeds---mine has always performed well, but I know quite a few very good shooters who use regular rimmed cases. I'd be interested to know if people have a preference between the two for personal defense.

#22 ·
Good thread!

Put me down as wanting a .38 Super. It's a good looking handgun round. Everything the 9mm has been cracked up to be but really isn't.

#26 ·
Anyone know it rates as SD ammo, say in comparison to .45acp?

I take it you can't swap a 1911 45 slide for a Super slide - or can you. I'd love to try the round and I need a slide for a 45 1911 I have, and I was going to buy it from Colt anyway - I'm sure they sell slides for .38 Super.

#32 ·
It's practically the only round in USPSA Open Division. It's hard hitting and high capacity; it should make a great defensive round. Now, they have 4-5 variations--38 Super Comp, yes, 9x23, actually 9x21 is close, and others. Make sure you get the true 38 Super when you buy brass, as the others have just as big a share in USPSA.

#37 ·
My LGS has both 357 sig and 38 super on the self. I'd never really considered this caliber but after reading this thread I have to admit I'd like to fire one in 1911 guise and try it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.