I want a . . . a .38 Super?

This is a discussion on I want a . . . a .38 Super? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the process of having Wilson Combat build me another 1911 and am seriously considering chambering it in .38 super. I think it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I want a . . . a .38 Super?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I am in the process of having Wilson Combat build me another 1911 and am seriously considering chambering it in .38 super. I think it will make a great concealed carry weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As far as ammo availability goes, I would reload most of any .38 Super ammo I fired. I haven't been impressed with the choices of .357 SIG bullets commercially loaded and the fact that it's more work to reload (lubing, short neck, etc.). There's a wide range of 9mm bullets available for the Super that wouldn't work as well in the .357 SIG.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OK so this is a couple of years later. I too love a .38 Super. If you really want to stoke it, you can make your brass from .223 Rem brass cut down to .38 Super length and then load it HOT. Jeff Cooper called it the Super 9. I could get 1500 fps with a 124 RN bullet. Hard on the gun, the regular super cartridge is much better for all around use and I carry one on occasion.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My first 1911 was a Colt in 38 Super. I've had it many years, (how many? It was $125 NIB). I've still got it and it's my favorite cartridge. If things break right next year, I'm getting a lightweight 38 Super Combat Commander for EDC. The down side? The new one costs a little more than the old one did.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    My first 1911 was a Colt in 38 Super. I've had it many years, (how many? It was $125 NIB). I've still got it and it's my favorite cartridge. If things break right next year, I'm getting a lightweight 38 Super Combat Commander for EDC. The down side? The new one costs a little more than the old one did.
    My first was about $350.00 . It started my addiction . There is no known cure. Saw a new one about a week ago for $1200.00 .Thought that was a tad too high. Thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    38 super is one of my favorites! Great old thread. Ive had two over the years. The first was a Llama. It was a great shooter, but I wanted a Colt and a 9mm upper that I could swap back and forth. A few years later I traded the Llama to cover some legal bills. When I bought a 1911 in 38 super I always intended to get the spare slide assembly in 9mm for the cheap practice. I did buy a 9mm Bar Sto barrel. I would just field strip and swap barrels. This was probably the most accurate carry gun I've ever had. I traded that one for a good 4X4 pickup.[ I need a truck more than another pistol then.] Now that my hands are becoming more painful that 38 super/9mm combo is looking good again! I still have the loading dies for the 38 super, I just started using them again to make 9mm Largo loads. I cant load the old Spanish guns to 38 super standards but they like 9mm+ just fine. I used to load Supers to just under 1400 fps. This Largo can take just under 1200. It will also shoot the heavy 147 gr bullets well. Once I leave CA and can buy a 1911 frame Id like to build another custom in 38 super/9mm. But this time from the ground up. DR
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Saw a new one about a week ago for $1200.00 .Thought that was a tad too high. Thoughts?
    You've got that right, GB. The lightweight Commander I'd like to own is just a tad under $1,200 at the LGS. I'm afraid it's gonna be a while before I can make a move on it, if at all. That's a lot of dough for a gun I already own. If I do get it, something in the safe will have to go in trade, help defer the cost.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My first one was about $125 as well. My latest, a Wilson, is a smidge north of $1200. In between are a Kimber Pro Carry II HD and a Taurus (which has an unsupported barrel so it sits in the safe). My aging wrists say absolutely no to a .40 S&W, the .45 ACP is starting to get bothersome so I'm down to 9mm and .38 super, I can live with either.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    You've got that right, GB. The lightweight Commander I'd like to own is just a tad under $1,200 at the LGS. I'm afraid it's gonna be a while before I can make a move on it, if at all. That's a lot of dough for a gun I already own. If I do get it, something in the safe will have to go in trade, help defer the cost.
    Take a look at grabagun. see what they have . I saw a 9 mm Commander on GunsAmerica for around $800.00 but it has , unsurprisingly, been snapped up as well. I do not mind paying more for something I have wanted for years , but I am with you on your thoughts about the higher than MSRP . I already have more than one Colt super, so this one was a gee, I'd like to have it gun .

I have looked at the 38 super & with the right
    reloads, you can get 357 like quality rounds
    Corbon offers a 125 grain .38 super +P JHP
    that gives 1325 fps velocity and 487 ft-lbs of
    muzzle energy.

API RIA 1911A1 FSP 38 SUP 9 is the one I
    should have bought, but I hesitated and
    someone else picked up. I want to think
    it was around $450 & at that time I did
    not know about RIA.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    I am in the process of having Wilson Combat build me another 1911 and am seriously considering chambering it in .38 super. I think it will make a great concealed carry weapon.
    Well here it is several years later and I did have Wilson build me a 1911 in .38 super! Here it is:

IMG_0588.jpg
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

TRX
    > .38 Super

The 1911 I'm building from pieces would have been .38 Super except I got a smoking deal on a .45 slide.

John Moses Browning designed the gun for the .38 Colt Auto. .45 ACP came about due to the Army contract. The Super is the Magnum version of the .38 Auto.

OD*
    The M1911 was designed as a .45 ACP from the start. The Colt Model 1902 Military was a .38 ACP, which evolved into the Colt Model 1905 Military which is when the .38 ACP was dropped for the .45 ACP.

Colt Model 1902 Military .38 ACP

Colt Model 1905 Military .45 ACP
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Colt 1911's in 38 Super are the pistol of choice in the Drug Cartel War in Mexico currently. The ammo is certainly effective, as countless folks are being killed with it every week in Mexico.

Double Tap ammo makes a hot self-defense load with a bonded 125 JHP at 1,350 fps, which basically matches the performance of the .357 Sig

Here are some photos of 1911's in .38 Super that have been confiscated from Mexican Drug Cartels members by the Mexican authorities:

Pimp my Colt?

Administrator
    Call me the odd man.
    .38 SUPER - I guess if you are into handloading for it that would be fine.

Me personally...I'd just go with with a new COONAN ARMS .357 Magnum Semi-automatic.

Reliable & everything the .38 Super was and more with far greater "on the shelf" ammo availability and diversity.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links