I want a . . . a .38 Super?

This is a discussion on I want a . . . a .38 Super? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, there's some gun each of us wants simply for the sake of just wanting it, right? No real need, just want. I owned a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I want a . . . a .38 Super?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

I want a . . . a .38 Super?

Okay, there's some gun each of us wants simply for the sake of just wanting it, right? No real need, just want.

I owned a .41 Magnum in Alaska when everyone else carried .44 Mags. I wanted the .41 and shot it better than most shot their .44s.

I bought a TC Contender in .30 Herritt because I wanted a round that was powerful and unique, and I didn't mind having to make my own cases. And powerful it was!

Unfortunately, both are long gone. Now I've decided I want a caliber that has always been on my long list--the .38 Super.

Something about this flat-shooting round has always intrigued me. With careful handloading, it's basically a .357 Magnum in a semi-auto case. While commercial ammo is available, I prefer to reload most of my ammo, saving the factory stuff for SD purposes, although I'd serve up my reloads if need be.

So, any .38 Super shooters out there that might offer up some advice or "Super" wisdom?
    ChrisATX and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Can't offer any advice or wisdom, but I'll simply say you're not alone... a 1911 in .38 Super is high on my wish list!
    BigJon10125 and ChrisATX like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Soon as a saw your thread this old article in "American Rifleman" I read over the summer popped in my head and I thought you'd like it ?? http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/the-super-38/ Sounds like a great round good luck with it wish I could give more than an old article.

“Beware the man who owns only one gun; he probably knows how to use it.” I would append to that: “Beware the man who carries a .38 Super; he knows what he’s doing.”
    StormRhydr likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I've often wondered why the .38 Super isn't more popular, since it is so favored by competition shooters.

I have no experience with them, but I've read that the recoil is quite mild for a cartridge of such high pressure.

rson63, I remember that article and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had forgotten about it, until you posted it; thanks.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

That's the one I never owned, but would also like to have. It's kind of fun to own something unique.
    Bullet1234 likes this.

The first Sig P220 I ever saw was in .38 Super. If I see another one I am going to grab it! From everything I have read about it the Super sounds like a lot of fun!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

There is no good logical reason I can find for owning a 38 Super, but I also want one anyway.
    ChrisATX likes this.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've often wondered why the .38 Super isn't more popular, since it is so favored by competition shooters.
    There are a few .38 Supers at the steel matches I frequent... very distinctive from their substantial crack! No mistaking them for a 9mm or a .45.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have wanted one for quite some while. I am even collecting the brass. I think the reason it did not become a major round is because they were more of a target shooters round and then the 9MM became popular in the US and was deemed good enough for personal protect and law enforcement without all of the extra things that go along with power of a 38 super. They were also a little slow working out some of the reliability issues with the 38 super. I believe this was because it was primarly used by long range competion shooters and the occasional miss feed was not that big of deal.
    My question is that a small case or what. I want one on a 1911 platform, but it is easy for me to imagine a small single stack package just right for pocket carry. Springfield EMP 38 Super $750.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

OldVet,
    I own 3 1911s. Two are 45 acp and one is 38 super. The super is a Springfield mil-spec with a parkerized finish. I can honestly say that my favored for carry and range is the super even though it cost far less than my others. It recoils like a 9mm, even when shooting Corbon 115gr 1,450fps ammo or the Georgia Arms 124gr 1,350fps stuff.
    I also like the idea of having 10 rounds available. I have fired 1,000+ rounds with no hiccups and it is extremely flat shooting and accurate.
    Springfield stopped making the 1911 38 super 7-8 years ago, except for the bar-b-que model. However, every so often they come available.
    Go ahead and get one. You will love it, especially if you reload.

VIP Member
    Add me to the list for a 38 Super also, years ago I built one on a 1911 frame and still regret selling it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Colt 1911's in 38 Super are the pistol of choice in the Drug Cartel War in Mexico currently. The ammo is certainly effective, as countless folks are being killed with it every week in Mexico.

Double Tap ammo makes a hot self-defense load with a bonded 125 JHP at 1,350 fps, which basically matches the performance of the .357 Sig

Here are some photos of 1911's in .38 Super that have been confiscated from Mexican Drug Cartels members by the Mexican authorities:

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    They were also a little slow working out some of the reliability issues with the 38 super. I believe this was because it was primarly used by long range competion shooters and the occasional miss feed was not that big of deal.
    My understanding is that early Supers headspaced on the thin rim and some guns had problems with that. Modern--whatever that means--Supers headspace on the case mouth like other straight-walled pistol cases.

I think I'll start hitting the LGSs and see if any have someting used. If not, I'll have to invest in a couple more Lotto tickets and look for something new.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

From my understanding,the police in Mexico can't carry anything bigger than 9mm and the 38 super falls into that category,the military can carry 40 and above.many of the gun stores down here carry 38 super 1911's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Also don't discount the 10mm auto

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My understanding is that early Supers headspaced on the thin rim and some guns had problems with that. Modern--whatever that means--Supers headspace on the case mouth like other straight-walled pistol cases.
    Are you referring to .38 super and 9x23? From what I understand 9x23 is just a rimless .38 super.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links