New Shooter at the range with my XDm 9mm Compact...

This is a discussion on New Shooter at the range with my XDm 9mm Compact... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Me and the wife went to the range today and shot 100 rounds of 115 Remington FMJ, 50 rounds of 115 Federal FMJ, and 20 ...

Thread: New Shooter at the range with my XDm 9mm Compact...

New Shooter at the range with my XDm 9mm Compact...

Me and the wife went to the range today and shot 100 rounds of 115 Remington FMJ, 50 rounds of 115 Federal FMJ, and 20 rounds Federal 124 JHPs.

The range we visited did not allow vertical targets, which I found odd. Also, they did not allow rapid fire, so this review is off 3 second rounds. I was not happy about this but I was already there and went through with it.

I feel like I shoot better with the compact magazine, the weight of the full extended magazine and undoubtedly my new shooter grip of death, makes it feel loose. So its ironic I prefer to shoot with the small magazine.

My wife also preferred the small magazine, she shot well at 7 yards but only got about 50% on the paper at 15 yards. We both were too all over the place to say this gun shoots high/low/left/right. We both felt this gun/grip worked the best for the both of us.

I had one Malfunction, exactly what happened I am unsure, I pulled the trigger and it went click, so I just assumed the slide didn't lock back so when I pulled the slide back out came a casing and a round. Could have been a limp wrist or just a fluke, but it did happen. I am going to run another 100 rounds this coming weekend to help build my confidence that it won't Mal again. Maybe as a new shooter I am over reacting?

Also, reassembling after cleaning the recoil/spring mechanism kept protruding about a 1/4" from the muzzle upon locking the slide back on, after about the 5th time of reseting the barrel/recoil spring it finally went back to normal, maybe I didn't have it seated "just right."

So theres a new shooters perspective.

2. Remove Ads

Compact handguns are a hard gun to learn on so be patient. They lack the mass for recoil control, have a short sight radius, and some are finicky about ammo. Take your time, be safe, and enjoy that fine firearm!
    Last edited by Rightwing; January 16th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Thank you for posting your experience. It is always refreshing to hear a perspective from someone new. I can relate alot from some of the things you stated, as I look back on when I first started. If I may make a suggestion, in the future I would limit my distance to 7 yards, and concentrate on slow fire. Work on the basics of site alignment and trigger control for each shot. Do not worry about rapid fire, that will come on its own. You will progress much faster and be a much better shot by always concentrating on the basics. Also, when the gun goes off, it should be a complete suprise. A slow steady squeeze while keeping the sites on target is the key to this. If you are suprised when the gun goes off during this process, you will be rewarded by a grouping of holes on paper, and thats how you know you are on the right track. Welcome to the forum, and keep shooting.

Thanks for the advice, I will take it and utilize it. SO am I over reacting on the one malfunction I had?

Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I will take it and utilize it. SO am I over reacting on the one malfunction I had?
    It could have been a hard primer. Did you eventually fire that round? Check your spent cases to ensure there is a good dent in the primer to rule out an issue with the firing pin striking to weak. From the sound of it , my initial guess would be that it was just a bad round.

Yeah I immediatly pushed it back in the magazine and fired it off and it fired fine. I tossed all the casings after the shoot though, didn't think to keep them.

Just wondering Druff. Is your pistol an XDm 3.8 compact? In the 2011 edition of The Complete Book of Handguns, Massad Ayoob has a nice gun review on this pistol. He mentions the "stand off" design whereby "the recoil spring guide rod guide protrudes very slightly from under the muzzle. This will be the first contact point against the opponents body ...". This would allow for an extremely close range body shot without any contact taking the gun out of battery. Just a thought. Maybe that is what you were experiencing with your pistol? I'm also thinking about purchasing one this year.

Yes it is the 3.8 XDM 9mm Compact. I wanted something I could learn on, the wife would also feel comfortable learning on, and something I can eventually Carry. She has small hands and I have large, so the interchangeable back-straps made sense and fit us the best. And Springfield is known for its reliability, and I preferred the grip safety of thew "glock" safe action. This was perfect for us.

And no it was during reassembly the rod that is inside the recoil spring was protruding was about a 1/4 of an inch, so I am assuming I just did not have it seated correctly, as it appears for now I have it corrected. Next time I will take some time to photo it if it happens again. I really like the gun, it is beautiful and comfortable. I will recommend it to my friends but I want to throw another 100+ rounds through it to be sure the Malfunction was a fluke.

Disregard my first post Druff, I assumed it was a Sub Compact... I have the 4" and like it alot. The 3.8 is sweet also, well balanced and very shootable. Good Luck with it!!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post

The range we visited did not allow vertical targets, which I found odd. Also, they did not allow rapid fire, so this review is off 3 second rounds. I was not happy about this but I was already there and went through with it.
    Man, that is really one extremely PC range. In effect, they are making it impossible for anyone to practical practical defensive shooting.

The range that I shoot at bans targets with any drawings of human beings on them, or photos of people. Many years ago targets with the image of Ayatollah Khomeni on them were quite popular, causing the ban. But rough silhouette targets are OK where I shoot.

Are they the only range near you?

Links