Not a happy Remington R1 range report - Page 2

Not a happy Remington R1 range report

This is a discussion on Not a happy Remington R1 range report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I still want one. My 1911 illness is completely irrational....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Not a happy Remington R1 range report

VIP Member
    I still want one.

My 1911 illness is completely irrational.

With all due respect, most reports are good for this pistol. Mine has not had any problems at all after 300 rounds of assorted ammo. Like any other manufactured item, there will always be a few bad ones. I have had a few bad cars in my life from Mercedes, BMW and SAAB. I know others who also had bad cars from these manufacturers but it does not mean they all suck. :) No one makes a good profit selling things that do not work and most people tend to only post when something does not work right. In fact, the large majority of gun owners do not even post at all so anything you read in these kind of forums has to be taken with a grain of salt and with this in mind. I have owned many guns over the last 40 years that people have said are bad but I never had problems with them.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I don't think we need to take the OP's comments with a grain of salt. He is not concerned with how other people's R1's run, only his.
    This is as it should be. I hope he gets satisfaction from Remington and that the pistol becomes a reliable shooter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I can empathize and sympathize with you on this. There is nothing more discouraging than a new gun that is problematic. I have long ago made a personal decision to just stick with what works for me because of this. I love the 1911 for alot of different reasons, but have never felt confident with any of them. Thats not to condemn the platform in any way, they just dont work for me. I hope you can resolve the issue to your satisfaction. It is a nice looking gun.
    I am not going to condemn the platform, but I am going to condemn the platform!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

RKM
    I know this thread is old, but My R1 was a jam-o-matic when I first started shooting it. It would FTF on the second to last round in the mag, almost every time. Not a carry gun, so I really didn't care. After some Wilson Combat mags and a few hundred rounds, it's probably my best shooting pistol, dare I say better than my USP..... ehhh, maybe not. It's a tie :) My USP has literally been 100%. Even my G30 had one stovepipe, but I'm not sure I can blame the gun itself. But my R1 is great. I love it, now that the bugs have been worked out. And though I didn't originally buy it to carry, I may start.

Frustrating, but it sounds like you have the experience with the platform to get it to run, Good Luck. Like a previous poster, I avoid new gun models (like your Rem and the new Ruger 1911) until it appears that the little bugs have been id'ed and fixed. Hang in there, but, by all means send it back for repair if it continues to enhance your 4-letter word vocabulary.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Senior Moderator
    I'm sure Remington will take care of the problem. I think you'll be very pleased with it. I have no experience with a Remington 1911, but Remington is not gonna let something like that slide; they will fix it. And they may tell you to put some more rounds through it. But that's ok, enjoy the shooting as much as you can and realize it's part of the process of fixing the problem. Hang in there.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    New Remington is not Old remington. dare I say it Give me the Taurus 1911 over the Remington. Sorry you had bad luck with one, and I hope it gets worked out for ya.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ...busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest??

better luck with the gun than at the contest i hope.
    tried changing the bbl link--it goes to timing & lockup
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I still want one.
    Me too, but I am going to wait a while. I have been reading similar posts on other sites. All pretty much the same issue as the OP.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Thumbs up Remington R1 1911

I purchased my first 1911 which is the Remington R1 1911 about a year ago when it first came out . I have had nothing but good luck with this gun the accuracy is amazing for me I love the light trigger pull for it but anyways I have never had any jams or fail to fires. First time I shot the R1 1911 was at a target about the size of a granny smith apple at 25 ft and hit it 11 out of 14 shots with ease for a target that is pretty small . I don't get to go out shooting as much as i'd like anymore but i'd say i've put atleast 250 rounds of ammo threw it and the R1 hasn't failed me yet.

old thread but worth revisiting...

greetings all, my first post, bought my son a Remington 1911 R1 for Christmas, brand new in the box w/papers, 2 clips, lock, owners sheets/manual, etc. Great looking gun. It sat until TODAY when we finally got time to take it shooting.

Guess what, we fired about 200 rounds of my SWC reloads through it, and practically every mag had a jam and FTF, because the slide is not going all the way forward. Sometimes all it needs is a nudge to lock it and then it will fire, other times I had to eject the round and start over.

I'm not too pleased considering this is not really a cheap gun, it was
    $646 out the door with tax and registration.

Now the funny part, if I open the action, drop the SAME ROUND in the chamber that that previously jammed, and snap the action shut, it chambers the round, and fires it just fine. The gun is quite accurate. It just doesn't like feeding from the magazine.

Now the REAL funny part, I bought this gun because my son called our "other" pistol, an old Haskell 45 ACP, a "brick", Haskell made those cheap aluminum 45's before they were bought out/renamed Hi Point. The Haskell is worth maybe $200 on a good day. I think they may have been even cheaper back in the day brand new.

Well the old Haskell/HiPoint brick will eat any ammo you feed it, reloads or new factory ammo, and has a slide spring that takes a gorilla to pull back and chamber the first round, but it feeds and fires with authority and NEVER jams. I can count how many times that gun failed to fire in 15 years, and would not use all my fingers on one hand.

I'm thinking the Remington is a little weak on the action spring dept.

It's not the reloads, I've been shooting and reloading for 35 years now. At first I thought it "may be" trhe reloads, but punching up "Remington R1 1911 jams" in the net, pages of Google hits come up

I think these R1's need a heavy tension aftermarket spring installed to make them run and chamber reliably.

Darn thing was accurate as heck though, I was hitting bottles at 25 yards with my left hand, and I'm right handed. Also had another target out at 35 yards, a silhouette, and was hitting it with authority, when the gun would chamber and not jam.

It seemed to start getting slightly better towards the end so it may be a break in issue too.

[QUOTE=WHEC724;1855312]I still want one.

My 1911 illness is completely irrational.[/QUO

yep...they are that sexy blonde that will destroy you're entire life but you want one anyway...

My new R1 run just fine. When I first bought it I also bought some reloads. They were doing what the OP's was doing. Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ run just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    My new R1 run just fine. When I first bought it I also bought some reloads. They were doing what the OP's was doing. Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ run just fine.

I'll try it...a lot easier than sending it back and having it worked on. The repair work is only as good as the tech or 'smith doing it, and sometimes they make it worse...or fix the problem and nick and scratch it up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links