Not a happy Remington R1 range report - Page 3

Not a happy Remington R1 range report

This is a discussion on Not a happy Remington R1 range report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Posting in a zombie thread I had similar issues with my R1 when I bought it. Took it straight from the store to the "range" ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Not a happy Remington R1 range report

Posting in a zombie thread

I had similar issues with my R1 when I bought it. Took it straight from the store to the "range" (no real ranges here) and loaded it up with some Blazer aluminium cased 230 grn. ball. The first mag ran fine, the second had a couple of FTFs where the bullet nosedived into the feed ramp and got hung up. I figured no big deal, just needs a break in. I put 200 rounds through it and lo and behold, it would feed ball ammo perfectly. So then I tried JHPs. No dice, about half of them nosedived. So I read a little about it and decided to polish the feed ramp. It originally had quite a bit of blue on it, but when I finished it was mirror like with just a single line of bluing left. Now it works about 100% with ball and JHP. Can't remember the last time it jammed on either after the break-in. It sometimes doesn't return to battery when using some old SWCs I have, but I'm pretty sure its because the bullets were made 30 years before I was born. Its very accurate even with the fixed sites. Just ask the raccoon I picked off a tree with it. I feel its reliable enough to carry every day, which I do. But to be fair, I have a SIG I carry for backup that has never had a hiccup.

PS, my slide sometimes has difficulty closing all the way, and I've determined that its from the locking lugs(?) on the top of the barrel having an incredibly tight fit with the slide, but this doesn't happen when firing as the full force of the slide returning overcomes it. The extractor was also very, very tight, as is the bushing to barrel fit, but the extractor has loosened a tad. Still tight enough where you need ample force to close the slide on a chambered round.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    It would be interesting to know how the OP made out with Remington. Our son bought a R1 just before Christmas [2012]. He has put about 1800 rounds through it already without one hickup! Hopefully that means Remington has worked out the bugs. He bought it because he liked my Remington 1911 WW1 vet. The two do feel very much alike! This thread caught my eye because I was thinking about getting one myself. So are the new guns truly fixed or did my son just get lucky? DR

R1 has been great

I ended up with a Remington R1 thru a series of odd trades. I own 2 Colts, a 70 and an 80 series. Both fairly customized. I took this brand new R1 to my club with 200 rounds of White Bx Win 230gr loads. This brand new gun never missed a lick and within 14 shots was ragging the same holes in the target at 15 yards. I find this gun to be fantastic for $650. I have since put another 400 shots on target and it just gets smoother and more accurate. I had intended on selling or trading this gun, but this is an absolute keeper. Right next to my two Colts!
    Mardet65 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I bought a Remington R1 right before Christmas. In the first 300 rounds are so, I've had almost a half dozen double feeds. (Trying to load 2 live rounds at the same time.)

Not consistent, but it's with both factory mags and both cheap aftermarket magazines. (Haven't had the time/money to get some CMC or Wilson's yet.)

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    We appreciate the feedback.It is nice to hear troubles before the next guy spends his hard earned dollars.Did they offer to take it back for repair?

I had a Remington R1S about a year ago but sold it before ever taking it to the range. Lo and behold, I've just come upon another R1S! Still haven't taken it to the range yet. Hopefully this week.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Funny how people excuse 1911's that don't work out of the box as needing "break in". Even my Kimbers (both Pro and Ultra) have been 100% out of the box since day one (I expect no less) and that is with the factory Kimber mags that everyone says suck. Seems that if it runs, it'll run out of the box. If it doesn't, it ain't right and should go back.

And hey, I am guilty too. I had several off brand 1911's that wouldn't run through 100 rounds without problems. I always said "just needs to break in". Of course, "break in" never fixed what was obviously a problem gun. They ended up sold off or traded for Glocks, M&Ps and so forth. But my Kimbers are keepers. Now I need a Colt.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin? He replied: A republic, if you can keep it.

Distinguished Member
    Yikes. I bought one last year. Had lots of problems. Called the company that licenses the use of the Remington name as Remington does not actually make them or even subcontract it out. They said they were aware of problems and to send it in and it would be a month or so before I got it back. I returned it to the store I bought it from where they tested it and immediately gave me a full refund. Bought a S&W 1911e instead and it was perfect but cost a lot more.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Yikes. I bought one last year. Had lots of problems. Called the company that licenses the use of the Remington name as Remington does not actually make them or even subcontract it out. They said they were aware of problems and to send it in and it would be a month or so before I got it back. I returned it to the store I bought it from where they tested it and immediately gave me a full refund. Bought a S&W 1911e instead and it was perfect but cost a lot more.
    Remington makes the M1911 R1 at their facility in Ilion, NY. E-RPC is the name of the company that contracted Remington to make them.

http://www.1911r1.com/pages/FAQs.aspx
    GhostMaker likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Remington is having trouble producing quality 1911s because they are a new and innovative design that hasn't had the bugs worked out yet. Perhaps after another 100 years the complicated design will be understood and they can work out the kinks. :)

It amazes me that these large companies can put out new firearms without going throught the QA testing to ensure the product functions. These are the things that affect a company's bottom line for years to come. Word of mouth, and forum, spread like wildfire.
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm personally unsatisfied with this 1 shot ship idea everyone has. I've got no issue with them putting a few hundred rounds through it as a real testing measure to save me the trouble of dealing with some factory issue.

Have gone through the hoops with Walther and as a result I can't say I would even accept a bran new gun from them if it were free.

Hmmm maybe this is why the R1 seems to be on average $2-300 less then other 1911's. At least at my local shops. They run mid 7-800. Other 1911s are going high 9-1100.

Also heard the "Remlins" aren't what the old Marlins were.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I have trained extensively with the 1911 platform beginning back in the 60's. Over the years, I learned that the faster guns are produced, the more issues there will be. The 1911 is no different.

Sure there are often issues with magazines causing FTF but many of these issues are best corrected by having a "good" gunsmith spend some time polishing the throat. It will cost more than a few dollars but is well worth the money in the lack of fustration. New semi autos often need to be smoothed down.

Some magazines are more sensitive than others but the throat polishing will. most of the time, correct this.

I have a friend that bought some $9 mags and they would not feed in his 1911 so he gave them to me. They fed fine in my daily carry 1911. Never had a problem. He then had the throat polished on his 1911 and I let him try the mags he gave me. Each one of them worked just fine. I gifted him the magazines back. He has not had a FTE since and that was over a year ago.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I have 3 1911's and the one I carry is a Colt series 80 CCO that I bought new in 1998. I have thousands of rounds through it and have had to date (2) FTF with it. Both were with factory mags not picking up the first round after a reload. I have had zero failures of any kind with Wilson mags. I have no problem trusting my life to this 1911 pistol. That is disheartening to hear how many failures you've had with the Remington because I too have been eyeing the Remington 1911. I hope you get it sorted out and keep us informed on what fixes it for you. It is a good looking piece.

Seem's like I must have got lucky with my new Remington 1911 R1; I bought it a week ago today, disassembled, cleaned and lubed it then took it to the range this past Sunday afternoon. Granted, I only put 50 rounds of Blazer, 230 grain, FMJ through it, but I only had one FTF and that was a double feed that may have been my own fault. The FTF was the 3rd round in the first mag loaded with only 5 rounds. I cleared it by striping the mag, dropping the round. Every other round after that fed smoothly from full mags that came with the gun. For the price, I was very impressed with the looks, quality, operation and accuracy of the Remington.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    Seem's like I must have got lucky with my new Remington 1911 R1; I bought it a week ago today, disassembled, cleaned and lubed it then took it to the range this past Sunday afternoon. Granted, I only put 50 rounds of Blazer, 230 grain, FMJ through it, but I only had one FTF and that was a double feed that may have been my own fault. The FTF was the 3rd round in the first mag loaded with only 5 rounds. I cleared it by striping the mag, dropping the round. Every other round after that fed smoothly from full mags that came with the gun. For the price, I was very impressed with the looks, quality, operation and accuracy of the Remington.
    I have heard many more good things about the R1 from actual owners, than I have bad.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I have heard many more good things about the R1 from actual owners, than I have bad.
    I tend to agree . . . most of the comments, reviews I read, heard, prior to my purchase led me to believe what I found once I bought and shot the Remington. For the price it is a great gun and I'm extremely happy and pleased with everything about it. Most of the negative comments seemed to be about earlier production guns. I'm sure there are some bad ones out there though, just as any other product has a few bad apples.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links