Not a happy Remington R1 range report

This is a discussion on Not a happy Remington R1 range report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay...a few months ago, I bought a new Remington R1 1911. I hadn't taken it to the range until last week....mainly because I have been ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Not a happy Remington R1 range report

Not a happy Remington R1 range report

Okay...a few months ago, I bought a new Remington R1 1911.

I hadn't taken it to the range until last week....mainly because I have been busier than a one legged man in a bag race, and barely have had time to shoot my Tue & Thu steel matches and reload enough ammo for those.

Anyway...I had some free time Wednesday, so I went out to my plot of dirt (I own 10 acres north of Tucson with nothing but a nice hill for a back stop and a 70's vintage Holiday Rambler on it for weekends and getting the heck out of dodge).

I took my carry gun, my match gun, and the Remington.

I shot all my drills and did my 100 rounds of SD practice with my Glocks. All is fine. Just what I expected.

Anyway, I have a concrete bench for bullseye/rifle/sand bag resting handguns with a small awning I built over it. I settled in with the 1911 to see how it would function and how accuracy was going to shake out.

I loaded up the provided magazines with Winchester 230 FMJ and let her rip at a standard bullseye target 15 yards away. The first two rounds hit about an inch hich and just a touch left. SUPER! The problem was I had a FTF. No problem, tap, rack, bang. Two more rounds hit in the same inch and a half. GREAT! Nope another FTF. Tap, rack, slide lock.

I set the mag I was using aside and grabbed the other mag provided by Remington.

Same story....exceopt this time I got three rounds before a FTF.

Now mind you I was not terribly concerned because hey...it's a bone stock, brand new 1911, and they DO require a little bit of break in time.

That being said, and me being me, I tossed the two provided magazines and pulled out my "magical repair kit for a 1911"...a pair of Wilson Combat magazines. You see...I know how to make a 1911 run, and by golly, it is OFTEN a magazine issue as magazines are the weak link in any semi auto design (that's why even with an uber capacity 9 or 40 I carry spares)...so I loaded up the Wilson mags expecting a better result. Well, I DID get a better result. I managed to get FOUR rounds before I had another FTF.

I still wasn't horribly concerned because I was still in my first 20 rounds, and I had planned on shooting a couple of hundred rounds through it to break it in. I had Winchester, Remington, Federal, some of my tried and true moly coated 230 RN reloads....none of them would run through an entire magazine.

Okay...100 rounds into this, I pulled out my Colt 70 Series Commander and ran a mag full of each type of ammo I brought with me...just in case it was a wide spread ammo virus or something. Nope...it ran like a top as always EVEN with the magazines I got with the Remington.

So...the Remington had cooled down, and I detail stripped it, cleaned it again, and re-assembled it. It looked all well and good.

I loaded it up again, and same thing. I would get 3 or 4 rounds between stoppages.

Now I was getting a little scruffy around the collar.

So...I stripped it once again, and pulled out my battery dremel and some simichrome and polished the feed ramp, and polished up the chamber a bit. I even put in a new Wolff recoil spring.

BINGO...I got FIVE rounds on the next magazine.

After THREE HUNDRED frustration laced rounds through the gun with more TAP RACK BANGS than I have ever had to do in a life time on any other single pistol I own...I stripped it once again, cleaned it once again, reassembled it once again...and tried it once again. The best I got was a string of four rounds.

I put it back in the box and shot up the rest of the 45 ammo I had brought with me through my Glock 21 and my Commander.

Just as a side note...I have just about 18,000 rounds through the Glock 21 with NO failures of ANY kind.

I have about 10,000 rounds through the Commander with less failures than I can count on one hand and none since I tweaked the extractor and polished and throated it about 8,000 rounds ago.

So...now I have a $600 boat anchor.

I have heard from several other R1 buyers who have the same issue. The pistol LOOKS great. Shoots like butt.

Gun'riters have said the same thing about the function of the pistol, but of course they add all of their apologies for the functionality and give all the same excuses...."new design...blah blah blah"

I wouldn't trust my ife to blah blah blah OR this Remington.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When you get the bugs worked out, let us know. Nice looking pistol though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah...it LOOKS great. I really like Remington, that is what is so disappointing. I have several 870's, an Tactical 1100 semiauto, a 742 Woodsmaster Semiauto .30-06, 3 Model 700's in various calibers, and even an OLD Nylon 66 .22. Flawless fantastic workman guns. I had much higher hopes for the R1.

At this point, I am thinking of dropping in a Wolff or KKM barrel I have in a box-o-parts. Maybe, just maybe the geometry of the barrel fit is off enough to get good feeding. The FTF problem is singular...there are no FTE's or stove piping, so extraction is not an issue. The ramp is polished and the chamber throated and shined up....the slide moves like butter on the rails....so I am thinking barrel.

GRRRRRRRRR

If the offending cartridges are up partially under the extractor, nose up into top of chamber, check your fired brass for a nicks or gouges in the extractor groove. Have had sharp bottom corners on the extractor hang up pistols at times. Just something else to check. HTH
    Last edited by N.M. Edmands; January 16th, 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: political correctness?
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Thats too bad. I am a Remington guy too, and its a shame they would release the gun to dealers with obvious and widespread issues. Not a good way to get back into the 1911 game. Hope you find a fix!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I can empathize and sympathize with you on this. There is nothing more discouraging than a new gun that is problematic. I have long ago made a personal decision to just stick with what works for me because of this. I love the 1911 for alot of different reasons, but have never felt confident with any of them. Thats not to condemn the platform in any way, they just dont work for me. I hope you can resolve the issue to your satisfaction. It is a nice looking gun.

Remington is having trouble producing quality 1911s because they are a new and innovative design that hasn't had the bugs worked out yet. Perhaps after another 100 years the complicated design will be understood and they can work out the kinks. :)

It amazes me that these large companies can put out new firearms without going throught the QA testing to ensure the product functions. These are the things that affect a company's bottom line for years to come. Word of mouth, and forum, spread like wildfire.
    031131 and Blackheart6 like this.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by N.M. Edmands View Post
    If the offending cartridges are up partially under the extractor, nose up into top of chamber, check your fired brass for a nicks or gouges in the extractor groove. Have had sharp bottom corners on the extractor hang up pistols at times. Just something else to check. HTH
    Negative on that one. It is one of the first things I checked. It isn't a failure to go into battery...they are jamming at the feed ramp. Pure and simple failure to feed. The extractor engages smoothly from the mag. I ran the slide slowly forward, and it stripped the round easily right to the point it was to go into the chamber from the ramp. Once I pushed it past that point, the extractor engaged nicely.

UGH.

Oh well....I think I may do a full custom job on it, and take the expensive route to yet another 1911 I own but won't carry...lol.

I really wanted a plain jane 1911...back to Springfield GI or Mil Spec. (Seems like every time I get one, I start tweaking, and it winds up with all the bells and whistles on it....I must stop myself!)
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Infidel View Post
    Negative on that one. It is one of the first things I checked. It isn't a failure to go into battery...they are jamming at the feed ramp. Pure and simple failure to feed. The extractor engages smoothly from the mag. I ran the slide slowly forward, and it stripped the round easily right to the point it was to go into the chamber from the ramp. Once I pushed it past that point, the extractor engaged nicely.

UGH.

Oh well....I think I may do a full custom job on it, and take the expensive route to yet another 1911 I own but won't carry...lol.

I really wanted a plain jane 1911...back to Springfield GI or Mil Spec. (Seems like every time I get one, I start tweaking, and it winds up with all the bells and whistles on it....I must stop myself!)
    Just curious, why not just call Remington and see if they will fix it for you for free? Seems like you could try to get some free work done on it, before putting more money into something that doesn't work.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    That is most appalling to see that high number of malfunctions taking place with what is supposed to be a plain Jane 1911. Remington seems to be straying off into other markets, without really doing their homework.

When the US Army did their final round of evaluation tests of the 1911 at the end of 1910, a 1911 fired 6,000 rounds of ammunition over a 2 day period, without suffering one single malfunction of any kind. And when the handgun became too hot to handle from the intense shooting, the Army testers simply dunked it in a bucket of water to cool off. Then took it out, wiped it dry, and resumed the test firing.

If your pistol had been submitted to the US Army, no doubt the 1911 pistol would have been rejected, and history would have been different.

Sorry to hear about your Remington problems, hope you get them resolved quickly. Remington has not put any products out there lately that i will spend my money on. A friend from my gun club purchased a Remington Wingmaster Trap Model 870, and he had to send two of them back to Remington... they both had bent ribs... one to the left, and one to the right. We started an autoloader shotgun league on 5 stand this summer, and two new Remington autoloaders would not function properly... both had to be send back for repairs, and one of them a second time. Where has the Remington quality gone???????????????? bunker

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    Just curious, why not just call Remington and see if they will fix it for you for free? Seems like you could try to get some free work done on it, before putting more money into something that doesn't work.
    NO Remington Cust Service on Sat & Sun. I really don't expect much from them other than to say "Well...you know guns need a break-in blah blah blah......."

Obviously I WILL call them...but I have a feeling that since I already polished and throated it, I have voided any warranty.

My ***** is that Remington let an inferior product out...it is Remington after all...you expect quality from them and guns that work. From all I am hearing my situation is the rule rather than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Infidel View Post
    NO Remington Cust Service on Sat & Sun. I really don't expect much from them other than to say "Well...you know guns need a break-in blah blah blah......."

Obviously I WILL call them...but I have a feeling that since I already polished and throated it, I have voided any warranty.

My ***** is that Remington let an inferior product out...it is Remington after all...you expect quality from them and guns that work. From all I am hearing my situation is the rule rather than the exception.
    If that's their excuse then the gun will never get broken in, who the heck wants to tap & rack every 3 rounds?

Definitely a shame, I was looking at these in the LGS recently and they look nice.

Hope they will actually fix it for you.

Sad to hear. I kind of had my sights set on a R1.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My 1911-R1's FTF issues were resolved by throwing the included magazines in the trash, but you have already tried this. I had some of my own issues - so I sent the gun back to Remington. They replaced the slide stop and the slide stop plunger spring - for free, of course. From the time I picked up the phone to the time the gun was back in my hands, no more than a week had passed. As I'm sure you know, a newly released gun model is as prone to bugs as Microsoft's Windows Vista was. Fortunately, Remington will fix your bugs, if you have to the patience to wait a week. I'm happy to report that I've fired 2,000+ flawless rounds through my 1911-R1. Casual range-goers are always asking what kind of gun I'm shooting. ;)

Note - you may want to re-locktite the rear sight bolt.
    NMB likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links