NEW XDM fails to lock back

NEW XDM fails to lock back

This is a discussion on NEW XDM fails to lock back within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked up my SA XDM 9mm Saturday morning. Excited, rushed to the range with my wife's cousin with 200 rounds and a pile of targets. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW XDM fails to lock back

Angry NEW XDM fails to lock back

Picked up my SA XDM 9mm Saturday morning. Excited, rushed to the range with my wife's cousin with 200 rounds and a pile of targets. Everything was going great for the throughout the first box. Very Accurate, great recoil. Felt great in my hands.

After about 160 rounds the slide started fail to lock back on empty. I kept my thumbs down away form the slide release. So it has to be mechanical. Do you think its a break-in issue?

I want to love this gun. It feels great in my hands, love the way it looks. Just very bummed about the failure to lock back. Should I contact SA? Ive since cleaned the pistol and magazines. Never had this problem with my other pistols.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Now that you have cleaned it, is it locking back on an empty magazine?

How many magazines were you using, and was it doing it with all of them?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Hmmm. All I can add is I shoot my XD with my hands up fairly high on the frame and my left palm frequently holds the slide release down enough to keep it from catching the slide after the last round. If you are absolute positive that no part of either hand was even having a small amount of contact with it, I'd try a new mag and see if that is the culprit, since a quick visual inspection will tell you if the mechanics of the slide release are all in place.

Does the slide lock back when you manually rack it with an empty magazine? What type of ammo were you shooting, might not have been running the slide through the entire cycle backwards? Is there a possibility that you were getting fatigued and were possibly limp wristing towards the end of your session? Did you clean the gun good before you shot it? Did you change hand possition?

Could be any number of things causing this, so hard to give any suggestions other than start eliminating them one by one.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

99% of the time it's low powered ammo or bad magazine springs. That said, if you detail stripped the frame begore shooting it could also be improper assembly.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I can't honestly say that a Glock will solve your problems even though I wish everyone could see the light at least one time. I'm truly taken aback by your XD failure. I'm not one to build on others failures. Things happen.

I was using Federal and Winchester 115 gr ball ammo. Yes, it does lock back when I pull the slide back manually. Also according to the manual It was re-assembled correctly. Maybe I WAS limp-wristing it toward then end of the session. We were there over two hours. I will pay extra attention to how I grip the XDM next time. The slide release is a LOT closer to my thumbs than my Beretta96 and Glock17. Im aware that the SA is no Glock, Beretta or M&P but I expect it to work right. Especially if its new. Thanks for all the input!!
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

I bought one brand new recently just put 200 rounds through it. It doesn't lock back on empty.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    the new XDM's are very susceptible to lockback issues. Mine has never had this problem with 400 rounds down the pipe and im gonna be putting another 150 down range tomorrow in it. Try firing with one hand and see if it does it then. If it does, your thumb on the off hand may be keeping it down. Also some of the magazines that ship with the gun have a bad spring assembly that will keep the weapon from locking back. Seeing as how the slide will lock back on a full magazine when it is pulled back manually, I am inclined to say you have bad followers in your magazines. Contact Springfield and see if they will send you new ones.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Now that you have cleaned it, is it locking back on an empty magazine?

How many magazines were you using, and was it doing it with all of them?
    This.

I had this same thing happen on a Springfield 1911 9mm. I found switching the ammo made the difference. Federal from walmart 115 grain does well in many guns but did not lock back the slide many times. I switched to a good quality lawman ammo 124 gr and perfect! No longer an issue. Only my experience and a different Springfield but may help. I would also try a different mag. Sometimes mags are quirky and cause weird things to happen.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

RKM
    My Hk did this once. I blamed the ammo and moved on.

Look, this isn't rocket science. The last round is ignited, the slide is pushed backward under the forces of recoil, the magazine follower pushes upward on the slidestop from inside the frame, and as the slide comes forward again it catches on the slide stop. One of these things isn't happening or something is going wrong.

Is the magazine follower catching on something inside the mag tube? Is the follower jumping the slide stop because of too much lateral movement? Is the round you're firing not providing enough recoil force to push the slide all the way rearward? Is the slide stop catching on something in the frame like a burr or small piece of metal?

That's about it. All of the questions I just asked can be tested at no cost (other than maybe the cost of some ammo) if you just think about the problem and systematically remove one problem at a time until you've found your issue. Most of the time this can be fixed by you in little more than 5 minutes. If you can't be bothered or still don't understand how slide stops work, then send it back to the manufacturer.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

If in doubt, contact Springfield and they'll fix it and have it back to you in no time.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Check your grip.This has happen to me when either my hands were fatigue and/or when adjusting my grip on the last shot.Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links