Pondering making a race gun for USPSA matches.

This is a discussion on Pondering making a race gun for USPSA matches. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a HUGE fan of the Baby Eagle. Uncommon, no longer imported, accessories are a PTIA to get. I've been eyeballing one for a ...

Thread: Pondering making a race gun for USPSA matches.

Pondering making a race gun for USPSA matches.

I am a HUGE fan of the Baby Eagle. Uncommon, no longer imported, accessories are a PTIA to get.

I've been eyeballing one for a few months now that is the 2nd gen with the picatinny rail, which is a rarity on an all steel frame. I can get an after market ported barrel, recoil reduction spring (snake oil?), and I found a universal scope mount that attaches to the picatinny rail, so you can put some optics on top.

Gun - $580
    Barrel - $184
    Spring - $65
    Scope mount - $65
    Optic - $100 - $500
    Holster...I'm screwed, I'll have to make one.
    Gunsmithing - I should not need any. SA trigger pull is maybe 5#, DA is #2 (maybe) and the shortest reset I have encountered. Other than maybe snugging up the barrel/slide clearance a touch.

$1k on the low end. That is where my wallet starts to creep up my backside at the thought.

I've never had the opportunity to shoot a race gun, just watch and heard the experiences of those that have shot them (recoil, what's that?).

Anyone want to share their experience in such matters?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I have been thinking about making a race gun myself (Open class), mostly since you can use a comp. I shoot a G34 in Production so I would use that as a base to build an Open gun. I would just need a threaded barrel and a comp. I am not sure if I should get a G17 barrel though and get a G17 slide. That way I have to complete uppers I can swap on the receiver (one for production and one for Open). The comps have to be fasten pretty good and not meant to be removed easily. With a another slide I can also put optic on it. This is my thought right now, but I don't think I am ready yet. I should probably shoot a few more production matches first.
    Can you not use a Speed Holster like CR with your gun?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of the Baby Eagle. Uncommon, no longer imported, accessories are a PTIA to get.

I've been eyeballing one for a few months now that is the 2nd gen with the picatinny rail, which is a rarity on an all steel frame. I can get an after market ported barrel, recoil reduction spring (snake oil?), and I found a universal scope mount that attaches to the picatinny rail, so you can put some optics on top.

Gun - $580
    Barrel - $184
    Spring - $65
    Scope mount - $65
    Optic - $100 - $500
    Holster...I'm screwed, I'll have to make one.
    Gunsmithing - I should not need any. SA trigger pull is maybe 5#, DA is #2 (maybe) and the shortest reset I have encountered. Other than maybe snugging up the barrel/slide clearance a touch.

$1k on the low end. That is where my wallet starts to creep up my backside at the thought.

I've never had the opportunity to shoot a race gun, just watch and heard the experiences of those that have shot them (recoil, what's that?).

Anyone want to share their experience in such matters?
    Sticks if you haunt a few matches you usually can pick up something nice on the used market. I have sold a couple of guns at matches. In fact I have a nice Para Ordnance double stack .40 that I plan to sell next time I go out.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I have been thinking about making a race gun myself (Open class), mostly since you can use a comp. I shoot a G34 in Production so I would use that as a base to build an Open gun. I would just need a threaded barrel and a comp. I am not sure if I should get a G17 barrel though and get a G17 slide. That way I have to complete uppers I can swap on the receiver (one for production and one for Open). The comps have to be fasten pretty good and not meant to be removed easily. With a another slide I can also put optic on it. This is my thought right now, but I don't think I am ready yet. I should probably shoot a few more production matches first.
    Can you not use a Speed Holster like CR with your gun?
    More info on that. What is "CR"?

Not sure why you would need to go with a threaded barrel. You should be able to buy a ported barrel. EFK Fire Dragon makes some that are 1" longer than OEM then cuts the ports in them.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2..._SPEED_HOLSTER
    It's not a traditional holster since you don't put the gun in it and pull it up. You put the little tab in the barrel, and tilt the gun out. It's faster since you don't need to clear a holster.

If you want to shoot Open USPSA (I assume that's what you want since oyu mention race gun), you should get a comp you thread on the barrel. The ported barrels do not reduce the recoil as much.
    This one here from SJC is popular.
    http://stores.sjcguns.com/Detail.bok?no=26
    I haven't shot it, but people who have shot them say there is almost no muzzle flip.

Thanks for the links. I can see this getting way outta hand $$$ wise real quick. Flashbacks to my competition archery days.

SJ Compensator - Gonna look a little goofy on my triangle shaped slide.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Thanks for the links. I can see this getting way outta hand $$$ wise real quick. Flashbacks to my competition archery days.

SJ Compensator - Gonna look a little goofy on my triangle shaped slide.
    Lol. That's why I said look for something used. Let someone else pay for all the mods. You can get a nice gun for about half of what you can build one for yourself. Just make sure you are patient and shoot the gun before you buy it.

ETA: Oh, and don't try to reinvent the wheel. Those open class guys have been building guns for years. Go with something that has a big aftermarket. SV, STI, Tangfoglio or Glock. That's where the parts and the support is. Trying to mod your baby eagles would be all custom work with no safety net.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member
    Mark Twain:

Links