Ruger or Browning

Ruger or Browning

This is a discussion on Ruger or Browning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which should i get? Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark. Purpose of this gun would be punching paper, and maybe a tree rat or two. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ruger or Browning

Which should i get? Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark. Purpose of this gun would be punching paper, and maybe a tree rat or two. thanks for any imput. Bunker

Administrator
    To each his own on this one, both are great paper punchers. If you like to tinker and modify, buy the Ruger. There is a lot more stuff available to soup them up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i have a buckmark, it is lots of fun. i picked it over the ruger because the grips felt better, they have the finger groves, and it had fiberoptic sights. now i just placed a red dot sight on it, great gun to teach my 11 year old son how to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have a Buck Mark. Dandy little pistol, but either will serve you just fine.

The Buck Mark is substantially easier to take apart than a Ruger Mk. III. I would recommend getting a Mk. I or a Mk. II or the Buck Mark, but definitely not a Mk. III. I know gunsmiths who shudder at the Mk. III.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I've owned a Ruger....tough and reliable....just a pain to breakdown, clean, and re-assemble.

My next .22 is going to be a Browning....

I think either is a good choice, but I'm leaning towards Browning.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

From one who shoots both a lot, I have a MK I (my dad got me when I was a kid) My dad has the buck we shoot often; both guns are great and we trade and shoot both of them almost every week at the range.... Even Dad has tighter groups with my MK I over his own..... Having said that both of them are fantastic, fun, and high quality fire arms and punching paper all day long with one or both of them is a fun jam free day!!!

Yes I for got, cleaning the MK I is a pain!!! the only draw back is field stripping the thing....

I have a Buckmark and I am quite satisfied with it. The main reason I prefer it is the grip angle is virtually identical to my Berettas. This is, IMO, important relative to point/instinctive shooting practice.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've owned both and they are both excellent guns. My preference is determined by how the gun feels to me. In my case the Buckmark felt like it was fitted to my hand.

I own both and from a shooting and accuracy perspective I don't find much difference between the Buckmarks and the Ruger I own although I'd give a slight nod to the Buckmark in comfort, at least for me. Either would do well for you and I think you would be happy with whichever brand you buy. One thing I have to comment on negatively regarding the Ruger, and the only downside I can see for it, is cleaning it - for whatever reason I just have a tough time reassembling my 22/45 after field stripping it to clean. Your mileage may vary in this regard.

I like my Buckmark, with one exception. It is a pain to disassemble for cleaning... I do not know if the Ruger is different anatomically. The Browning is very ergonomic, and accurate.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I've never owned either but have shot others' Brownings and Rugers over the years. I'm very impressed with the Buckmark. I've come close to buying one several times in order to take the shooting pressure off of my Colt Woodsman. The Rugers are fine but perhaps a little less sophisticated and not so attractive. I've had difficulty reassembling the Ruger but it may be a matter of learning the design. Never had a Buckmark apart.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a Buckmark, a friend has a MkII. A few years back, we both decided that we liked the other's pistol more, and traded...and then traded back a little while later.

Like Guantes, I rather like the grip (it seems to be very similar to my Hi Power) and controls (again similar to a Hi Power or 1911) of the Buckmark. My buddy's MkII had a Volquartsen trigger, though...and that was awfully nice.

They are, however, both great pistols, and you can't go wrong with either.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

thanks for all the great input. Bunker

Both are great I like my MarkII . Either will serve you well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links