What should I do?

This is a discussion on What should I do? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So a while back, years ago I purchased A Jimanez JA Nine. I know, the biggest POS pistol on the planet. I've always been a ...

Thread: What should I do?

What should I do?

So a while back, years ago I purchased A Jimanez JA Nine. I know, the biggest POS pistol on the planet. I've always been a revolver guy and it was $150 bucks So I said why not a semi auto could be fun, total impulse buy. Anyway, Less than 100 rounds through it and it went Kaboom! Completely locked up and now the slide won't go back or come off, mag won't drop out etc... I tried getting a hold of Jimanez after it happened with no luck. Couldn't reach them by phone or email. I pretty much gave up for a while. I tried taking it apart, prying it apart, no luck the thing is a Hot mess to say the least. Besides learning my lesson not to buy cheap Saturday night specials and crappy gun like Jimanez what can I do with this thing?

I finally got a hold of Jimanez a while back and they would not cover it under Warranty. Turns out they don't even have a warranty. They wanted way more than the gun was worth to fix. So it has sat in my drawer in it's box for years. Well I'm finally getting sick of looking at it every time I open that drawer and I want to get rid of it. The piece isn't even worth $50 if it was working but I don't want to just throw it in the trash where anyone can find it. How can I safely get rid of this thing, what are my options?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wait for the next gun buy back in your area and make a profit off of it! j/k

Were you ever able to get the magazine out of it so it is unloaded? You might contact the police and see if they have a turn in program you could use to dispose of it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yea I was able to get the mag out and clear the chamber it's unloaded and safe. I was able to get the slide to move back about an inch and clear the chamber.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Contact the local LE and see if they will take it. If so, make sure you get a detailed receipt, in case it turns up in the wrong place.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Wait for the next gun buy back in your area and make a profit off of it! j/k

Were you ever able to get the magazine out of it so it is unloaded? You might contact the police and see if they have a turn in program you could use to dispose of it.
    +1 on both ideas.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Grind the Serial number off with a Dremel and throw it in a lake J/K!

Thanks guys I will call the Local LE this week and see what I can do

VIP Member
    $150 ?

A relatively cheap lesson learned compared to other horror stories we've heard on this forum.

And yes, turn it in to your local PD for destruction.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    $150 ?

A relatively cheap lesson learned compared to other horror stories we've heard on this forum.

And yes, turn it in to your local PD for destruction.
    Absolutely, I should have known better but I was young and it was shiny $150 is a very cheap lesson learned that's why I just want to safely dispose of it, could care less about the money it cost me I still have my eyes and my hands could have been much worse. Even if they fixed it under warranty I wouldn't trust shooting it again. It might have been $125 or even cheaper I can't remember it was a long time ago.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would put it in a bench vice and saw it in half...twice... then grind off the SN and trash it. An acetelyne torch would also make short work of the whole thing... that would be fun anyway.

See if a local pawn shop will take it, you might get a few bucks out of it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A guy brought one by the shop last month that had a crack in the slide rail, sounds like you may have the same issue.

Links