CMP Garands, what should I know?

This is a discussion on CMP Garands, what should I know? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I probably should have looked into it earlier, but since I am member of several groups that qualify me for CMP purchases, and the tax ...

Thread: CMP Garands, what should I know?

CMP Garands, what should I know?

I probably should have looked into it earlier, but since I am member of several groups that qualify me for CMP purchases, and the tax return will be coming in the next month or so, I figure I might as well take advantage of the program.

Right now the only model they have is the Garand, which I am not heartbroken about at all. As it is a great battle rifle. I am thinking I should go with a service grade rifle. The rifle will get used and shot, so I don't need anything too fancy, but from the descriptions it sounds like it should be in better shape than the field grades, for not too much more money. Anyone have any experiences on this they would like to share?

I also gather that the way it works is they Fedex it to your home after they process your order, which is pretty cool. Although I guess I could drive up to Camp Perry to the store if I wanted.

Who has some experiences with the CMP and can shed some light on all this?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you get a chance to take the drive to Camp Perry do it. I went to the Anniston, Al store 2 years ago, not only can you pick out the one or more that you want they will loan you the gauges to check chamber and muzzle wear. The people in the store were quite friendly and ready to answer any questions. Also in the store they had 30/40 Krags and Springfields that were not on their website at very fair prices. You can download the forms from their website and fill out the basic info before you go and don’t forget to take a copy of your birth certificate or passport as they are required for identification.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The 3-4 hour drive may be well worth it, I will have to see.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    and the tax return will be coming in the next month or so.
    I'm not familiar with these words you speak of?

Anyone have any experiences on this they would like to share?
    I have two service grade Garands, and one or two carbines from CMP. I'm thrilled with my purchases. Frankly, I like how it looks used. The CMP paperwork isn't particularly complex at all, the CMP gets overwhelmed at times, but I have found them helpful and responsive.

I also gather that the way it works is they Fedex it to your home after they process your order, which is pretty cool.
    Oh man, not that cool actually. I ordered my first Garand from them and had been tracking it. I hung pretty close to the house so I could be here to sign for it. I never got around to broaching the subject of the Garand purchase with my wife. She doesn't really care, so why stir the pot? Anyway I hear the FedEx guy coming down our long driveway, I make a beeline to the side door where they always stop and park. By the time I got to the side door......no FedEx guy?

I'm thinking WTH, and suddenly realize he's gone to the front door, probably rang the bell and my wife has already answered it. I sprint across the yard to the front hoping to catch him before he gets to the front door, but I find my wife already standing there signing for the suspiciously long box leaning next to her.

Uh-oh.....I get that "look". The FedEx man suddenly becomes nervous, and sheepishly states, "uhh maybe he ordered you some flowers." She gave the FedEx man that "look" and the last I saw him he was sprinting toward his getaway truck. I envied his ability to depart at will.

I'm thinking okay, I guess it's time to break the bad news, but she quickly asked me, just how much did this cost ? I changed the subject and started babbling about the guns on "Band of Brothers", which is one of her favorite movies. So she's standing there pretending she's semi-interested in seeing a Garand up close, but I noticed her eyes darting toward the packaging. The box is laying on the couch and we're standing behind the couch. Suddenly she see's some loose paperwork (invoices ?) lying around the box and she suddenly dives over the couch to get at it. I'm stunned at her cheetah-like response, though she gets hung up hanging over the the back of this tall couch.

She looked like a squirrel hung in a tree, but she's now desperately clawing for the paperwork so she can see what I paid.

Right now I'm wishing there was a bayonet on the Garand I'm holding, not to stick my wife but to stick and retrieve the paperwork from her impending pounce. I was just able to reach over with my new rifle and catch the paperwork with the muzzle and sweep it away farther from her lair.

While she was still hung up over the top of the couch I ran around the side and ceremoniously captured the still-fluttering invoice. The Garand is a great battle rifle !

Anyway we wished we'd had a video of the antics and had a great laugh over the whole thing. I laughed more from relief, though I didn't sleep well that night because her laugh sounded wicked. Since I discovered myself alive the next morning, and weakened with joy, I did tell her what it cost, and as I said she's fine with whatever gun stuff I do, but she does like playing the "mad" wife role.

She has said three pretty funny things about guns:

1. Sig Sauer. That's the face that the wife makes when she hears the name (sour).

2. Gun purchases are missed opportunities for jewelry purchases.

3. A man only needs two guns, a long one and a short one.

Actually we have a lot of fun, she's pro gun and CC's herself. I also bought a second Garand, she knew about it beforehand (I don't think the couch could take another CMP delivery like that)
    Last edited by ppkheat; January 20th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Ah, the adventures of the married gun nut.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

ppkheat,

Thank you, for reminding me why it is nice to not be married. But, if I can get past the humor in that story, the service grade rifles are just fine for a rifle that is actually going to get used and shot?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    ppkheat,

Thank you, for reminding me why it is nice to not be married. But, if I can get past the humor in that story, the service grade rifles are just fine for a rifle that is actually going to get used and shot?
    I believe mine are both service grade. I haven't had a need to shoot the other one, but the one I shot seemed ready for battle to me. I like shooting it, especially having the clip jump out on the last shot.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I believe mine are both service grade. I haven't had a need to shoot the other one, but the one I shot seemed ready for battle to me. I like shooting it, especially having the clip jump out on the last shot.
    That is one of the fun things when shooting a Garand near someone who is unfamiliar with them, they think it suddenly broke.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That is one of the fun things when shooting a Garand near someone who is unfamiliar with them, they think it suddenly broke.
    It's all fun and games until someone isn't careful with their thumb while loading.

I think that a Garand would go nicely with my K-98 and 91/30, but then I have opened myself up to having to stock .30-06, which means I am gonna need a new bolt gun too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    I dont know much about the CMP program, so I cant help you much there. But, the drive up to Perry can make for a dandy weekend trip. There is a lot to do and see up in that area.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont know much about the CMP program, so I cant help you much there. But, the drive up to Perry can make for a dandy weekend trip. There is a lot to do and see up in that area.
    You don't know much about something, I am shocked...

http://www.thecmp.org/

Service grade Springfields are like $600 plus shipping right now, that is what I am looking at. You are eligible to buy from them too, in case that interests ya.

Of course, one of my friends from Findlay wants to take me here: http://www.jaquas.com/ when I get back, and that is right on the way along 75.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    I've heard of that place, but never been. I usually go up and visit the islands every summer, I really should make a detour and go there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've heard of that place, but never been. I usually go up and visit the islands every summer, I really should make a detour and go there.
    I'm not sure they would let me in the door, looks like they have a lot of shotguns worth more than every gun I own combined.

As an aside, on the CMP page, check out .22 Target, commercial, they aren't 10/22s, but it doesn't look like a bad deal either.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Those Savages would make nice little plinkers, and the have Kimber 82's. Very cool.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links