Morons, at SHOT show of all places, pan standard cap mags to a reporter

This is a discussion on Morons, at SHOT show of all places, pan standard cap mags to a reporter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I thought SHOT show was exclusively for industry people. How did this reporter get in? And of all times, at all places, how did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morons, at SHOT show of all places, pan standard cap mags to a reporter

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

So, I thought SHOT show was exclusively for industry people. How did this reporter get in?

And of all times, at all places, how did he find these people who are so oblivious to the facts?

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/21/...-self-defense/

Click link for video.

ThinkProgress attended the SHOT Show convention in Las Vegas this week — “the largest and most comprehensive trade show for all professionals involved with the shooting sports and hunting industries” — and asked many attendees if they thought these types of clips are necessary for self-defense. Most we talked to concurred, “Not really”:

TP: Do you think that for self defense purposes it matters whether you have 10 or 15 rounds in your magazine?

ATTENDEE 1: Probably not. No probably not. Honestly. [...]

ATTENDEE 2: It takes one shot to kill. … Anything more than one shot is excessive. I mean if someone is breaking in to your house at a panic you’re might going to shoot him once. You’re not going to empty your load on him while they’re lying on your kitchen floor. [...]

TP: If someone were to use a gun for self protection purposes, would they need 10, 30 rounds?

ATTENDEE 3: No, I hope not. I don’t know why. If ten rounds of ammunition can’t do the job you probably shouldn’t own a gun. I don’t want to live next to that guy.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So, I thought SHOT show was exclusively for industry people. How did this reporter get in?

And of all times, at all places, how did he find these people who are so oblivious to the facts?

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/21/...-self-defense/

Click link for video.
    I don't know how they did it, but I'll bet serious money this was "staged".

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..................
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It is not unusual for "hunters" and those in the "shooting sports" to not know squat about self defense.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yeah, I mean it couldn't actually be their opinion... It has to be a liberal media conspiracy...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    A lot of those "Comments" came off as someone that has never hunted or looked at anything self defense wise when it comes to shot placement and lethality. Heck Mass Ayoob just put out an article where I guy kept fighting after several rounds to the chest and one to the head that exposed brain matter, he finally stopped after his hips where broken by a round. Any hunter knows that even with a rifle a animal doesn't always drops on one shot you usually have to track it down til it finally bleeds out. This is just really odd, time for the Youtubers to assemble maybe.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Yeah, I mean it couldn't actually be their opinion... It has to be a liberal media conspiracy...
    While I understand your point Rollo and understand you are a self proclaimed liberal...it is not unheard of for the media to stage interviews and invent quotes and statements, no matter the subject to make their story.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I agree most hunters and outdoorsman have nothing to do with SD guns and/or handguns. My in laws are perfect examples, my wife had never handled a handgun besides an airgun, or .22 target gun in her whole life but had a nicer cache of hunting rifles and shotguns than I do. They simply did not understand why i felt the need to carry a handgunon my person at all times.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If anything hunting has taught me that one round is NOT going to stop a fight right away.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    While I understand your point Rollo and understand you are a self proclaimed liberal...it is not unheard of for the media to stage interviews and invent quotes and statements, no matter the subject to make their story.
    I agree. But for that to be the initial "go to" argument reminds me of the Rush Limbaugh school of thought IE if someone says/does something stupid and they are a liberal then they are just a stupid liberal but if someone says/does does something stupid and they are a conservative then it is a liberal conspiracy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

GM
    I think that too
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

RKM
    It may only take on shot to kill (eventually), but it doesn't always take one shot to STOP the threat.

Who knows how many attendees were interviewed......and who knows what they answered, all we know it was they showed. So it isn't a liberal conspiracy, but I do reckon it is slanted to the point of view ThinkProgess wants it to be.
    Molon Labe

Without watching the vid and just looking at the comments, here are my thoughts.

Guy 1 is not that far off. The vast majority of defensive shootings for civilians are probably over before 10 rds are fires. So 10 or 15 does not matter that often.

Guy 2, shees come on.

Guy 3, How many times has someone on HERE said the EXACT same thing? If you can't stop them in X number of rounds you should not have a gun. I can't be the only one that's seen it.

I COMPLETELY disagree with the premise that the agency likely uses the answers for though. Magazine capacity is a non issue in the vast majority of shootings. These guys may have just gotten caught up in talking with someone at the Shotshow that they did not peg as having an agenda.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..................
    I believe it.

I even see the sheeple idjits on GUN forums saying the "one round" and "ten is enough" crapola.

Wish they'd just come out of the closet already.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links