Afternoon of piddling nets some new target stands.

This is a discussion on Afternoon of piddling nets some new target stands. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought before I got so loaded down at work with taxes I would take one more afternoon to just piddle in the garage. This ...

Thread: Afternoon of piddling nets some new target stands.

I thought before I got so loaded down at work with taxes I would take one more afternoon to just piddle in the garage. This is the second round of target stands that I have made. 16 in all. Most of them I am taking down to one of my friend/clients gun shop for him to put out on the range. When we have large CHL classes that is where we do them, so it works out for both of us. I will take a few of them out to deer camp for us to use on our range we have set up there.

The stands use 5 ft of 2x2x3/16 angle iron, 18 inches for each leg and 24 inches distance between them, and 16 inches of 2x2x3/16 square tubing, 8 inches high on each side. Wood 2x2's fit perfectly into the uprights to hold either paper or cardboard targets.

Total cost of each stand is less than 20 bucks per unit including metal and welding supplies. My time is free since it is actually relaxing to just mess around. From what I have priced online they run from 40 to 80 bucks depending on design, but I don't think they are made out of the same thickness of steel. I am pretty sure the 3/16 stuff I used will be around for quite a while as long as folks don't shoot the stand too much instead of the targets.

If you have some time and a little bit of knowhow you can make these pretty easily. It took about 6 or 7 hours to cut up and weld everything.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Now I would be embarrassed to post pics of the new target stands I made for me and my neighbor from some old scrap iron.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

This was one of my afternoon of target stand building too. I do not have a clue as to what those white stands were for but I added some 2X4's to the top and bottom and then used some thin plywood for the target area. That can be easily changed out with small screws or nails.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Farronwolf:
    Your stands match what we use for IDPA, reliability and economical. Myself, I built some from 1/2 inch plastic plumbing pipe with t's and elbows, large office clips and zip ties to hold the cardboard, and some tent pegs,(since the wind suddenly starts blowing whenever I go to the sportsmen's club). My total cost is also around $20. I just make sure to carry a few extra sections of pipe in case one gets shot.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I have made some out of pvc previously but they didn't seem to hold up for too long. These should be good for years and years, well I hope they do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

i make the same, but mine a foldable to toss in the car and use to sight in in the field

Sponsored Links