Need help!!

This is a discussion on Need help!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking of starting a indoor shooting range and not having any close to me I am not sure of what they charge for ...

Thread: Need help!!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Need help!!

I am thinking of starting a indoor shooting range and not having any close to me I am not sure of what they charge for rentals and such? What are there rules in regards to range time, ammo, and gun restrictions?? I have priced out having lanes built and as exspensive it as it is I wanna make sure before I start! any help or suggestions would be great thanks all!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Most indoor ranges have some sort of membership deal, where you pay like a flat rate for a year, and get unlimited shooting.

I have seen from $5-10 for 30 minutes on an indoor range.

As far as ammo, a lot of places only let you use ammo you buy from them for rentals. (You are going to have a wide variety of rental guns, so people can get a feel for a specific model before they buy, right?). If I place said I had to buy their ammo to shoot in my guns, I wouldn't shoot there.

Gun restrictions depend on construction of the range, and what it is able to handle. I have shot on a range that only allows handguns, .22 rifles, and shotguns, and I have shot on ranges designed for pistol through high powered rifle. Make sure the distance on your range is appropriate for the kinds of weapons people will be shooting.

If I had a range, I would try to have a membership deal, and at least one or two "fun shoot" nights a week. Have it open for members, and instead of just punching paper, do a bowling pin shoot, and give the person who wins a free box of ammo or something. And the rentals actually are important too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I use two; one in NC out door it is $5.00 per hour, the other in Va I am a member and it is $120.00 per year, if you are not a member it is $12.00 ( I do not think there is a time limit ) That is all I know..

I plan on having all kinds of rental guns and only ammo purchased through the range will be allowed to be used in them. Personal guns are that feel free to use your personal ammo. The construction I am leaning towards says it's good for up to a 460 weatherby rifle so I think almost anything will be game. Yearly memberships are a good idea never thought of that as I don't have any indoor range exsperience. Thanks for the info keep it coming please.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The local indoor range here is $9/hr plus buy their ammo. Their price is too high for that dump.

First I'd check any state/local zoning ordinances for restrictions. You may not be able to set up within "X" feet of an inhabited structure, etc.

Check with a company that issues business insurance because they're probably going to have their yeas and nays also.

If possible, go to another indoor range, explain what you're trying to do, and they may offer advice.

I think it will be tough to make a profit or even break even on range fees alone. You're probably going to have to have retail services also, maybe even gun/ammo sales.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow! The two ranges I go to, one is $17/hr and the other $20 hour ($5 each place for additional shooter). They are indoors though.
    Both have classes for CCW and Self Defense and one has specialized classes for women (this is a new range, owned by a local LEO).
    Both have rentals, one either bring you own ammo or buy theirs, the other is you have to buy their ammo for rentals. Either place $10 lets you rent everything on the shelf, first place has over 75 rental guns plus a fully auto machine gun, second place, new, only has about 20 rentals right now.
    Both have membership deals, but to get your money's worth you need to go at least 15 times per year at either. Both offer discounts to LEO's.

Personaly, I won't shoot where I can't use my own reloads. There are some that dont allow jacketed rounds, lead only. But I know what I load, and I don't know what they are selling me.
    Just my $ 0.02.............
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

cj
    Really, pricing depends a LOT on location. In my area with the price of land, it would be really expensive to run a range, which then would compete with the thousands of national forest and BLM land in the area...so needless to say, no local ranges.

A big part of what you can do is also, sadly, probably defined by your insurance.

If you're really serious about it, you might want to look into conferences held on the topic: http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/development.asp

VIP Member
    Most things have already been covered. Only thing I can add is that the ranges around here give discounts to military and LEO, both active and retired.

Below is a link to a local range here in Richmond, just to give you an idea. You might also want to consider a classroom area for CCW and gun safety training classes.

http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You ought to take a vacation out to Phoenix. Right now there are three indoor ranges, with two more being built. You could write the trip off as a business expense!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I keep telling my wife that if we ever win the lottery, we are going to to open an indoor range because this area needs one badly. I think it would do great with all the law enforcement in this area that have no indoor range to go to, and it would cover a large area.

Make sure you check with the insurance company and local laws about ventilation requirements as well. It's the cost of the insurance (high), and ventilation system thats keeping my LGS from opening an indoor range.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The indoor range I shoot at has special ventilation for the airborn lead particulates from shooting. The guy at the range said it's major money to change the filters. You can bring your own ammo but no reloads. $10.00 for half an hour. They have rentals but I've never checked them out.

$12/hour for my local indoor range. You shoot your ammo 1/2 hour minimum. If you rent you shoot his ammo. He sells some guns, and does concealed carry classes as well. I think they have other classes there too but I've never checked into that. They rent hearing and eye protection as well if you don't have your own.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

The NRA is a wealth of information on ranges.

Thanks all. I have done the homework on insurances and zoning and I am all good there. I am really gonna look into classes for women and maybe some self-defense classes. I would plan to have this connecting with a regular business as that would help with costs and rentals.

Links