Anybody gonna watch Sons of Guns??? - Page 2

Anybody gonna watch Sons of Guns???

This is a discussion on Anybody gonna watch Sons of Guns??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 'Saw the first episode w/the cannon. Yes, this will be another show where it's largely about the personalities - but ya know - I have ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anybody gonna watch Sons of Guns???

VIP Member
    'Saw the first episode w/the cannon. Yes, this will be another show where it's largely about the personalities - but ya know - I have a lot of respect for folks that try to make it on their own. If they're doing it making and re-selling guns, it becomes even more interesting. I'll watch the second show tonight. The daughter doesn't bother me a bit.

First I've heard as well, the DVR is set now though.
    Curious to see what it's all about.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    What is the sense of having a business and living life if you cant let go and have a little fun? Everybody gets so obsessed with money and cant just let go and enjoy life.... the mantra is to work hard have no fun then retire when your body is old and broken and you cant have the fun you could have had in your younger days..... screw that
    I'm all for having fun.

The difference is that he was not using his own money to buy his toys. He was using the business' resources. It would be decidedly less fun if his business went under due to poor financial decisions. He has employees who depend on the success of the business. In that episode he spent $3500 of the company's revenue on a grenade launcher for himself and to scan someone else's cannon so they could shoot it for fun.

If he wants to spend his own cash on fun stuff, by all means. But spending the company money on himself can jeopardize the livelihoods of (at least four) other people, and that is just selfish.

The cannon was COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I'm all for having fun.

The difference is that he was not using his own money to buy his toys. He was using the business' resources. It would be decidedly less fun if his business went under due to poor financial decisions. He has employees who depend on the success of the business. In that episode he spent $3500 of the company's revenue on a grenade launcher for himself and to scan someone else's cannon so they could shoot it for fun.

If he wants to spend his own cash on fun stuff, by all means. But spending the company money on himself can jeopardize the livelihoods of (at least four) other people, and that is just selfish.

So would it also be selfish if he decided to close the business down, cash out and retire?

Distinguished Member
    So would it also be selfish if he decided to close the business down, cash out and retire?
    If it had a negative effect on his employees, absolutely! I'm not saying it's not within his rights to do, but yes, I would consider it selfish.

Also, as far as the purchasing of the grenade launcher for personal use with company funds; depending on how it is accounted for, it could be an act of fraudulent embezzlement, depending on local laws. Embezzlement is generally a statutory offense, so the laws would vary by state. But I'm assuming he either set it against his personal earnings, or his equity in the business.

This is a pointless debate. Each person has a different definition of personal responsibility and moral/ethical values, so arguing about it is useless.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    If it had a negative effect on his employees, absolutely! I'm not saying it's not within his rights to do, but yes, I would consider it selfish.

Also, as far as the purchasing of the grenade launcher for personal use with company funds; depending on how it is accounted for, it could be an act of fraudulent embezzlement, depending on local laws. Embezzlement is generally a statutory offense, so the laws would vary by state. But I'm assuming he either set it against his personal earnings, or his equity in the business.

This is a pointless debate. Each person has a different definition of personal responsibility and moral/ethical values, so arguing about it is useless.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

I have owned two businesses, I can buy whatever I like with that money regardless of what pot it came out of because I am the LLC. I dont understand your fraud comments whatsoever. If he didnt own the business maybe if he had stockholders, yes. Nothing is selfish in a capitalistic market, if you don't like it, you have the freedom to go get another job. I cant read your thoughts but you sure are talking like someone who wants government regulation on what we can and cannot do with businesses we own and create and operate. Thankfully in a free America this man has the freedom to buy what he wants when he wants with his company funds as he owns the business. If he loses the business that was the risk he takes. Fraud not found.

I have them recording. I will see what I think.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Looks like Vincent and Charles are the entities of the LLC and will is the entity of the corporation so he pays them as an LLC and the rest of the money is his to do as he pleases so your embezzlement angle is way out of the ballpark. He can purchase a circus elephant with their money if they wanted to. His employees are not employees but work for his corporation under an LLC.

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/819/Default.aspx

I watched it and enjoyed his gun making knowledge. I did think his daughter overacted for the camera a bit. I hope he patented both those designs.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Boring...........
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member
    I have owned two businesses, I can buy whatever I like with that money regardless of what pot it came out of because I am the LLC. I dont understand your fraud comments whatsoever. If he didnt own the business maybe if he had stockholders, yes.
    Like I said, it depends completely on the organization of the business and the accounting practices. If he is the sole ownership entity, then presumably, all is well. I don't know the laws of your state or his. Only my own.

And I think embezzlement was the wrong word to use. I am referring to the fiduciary duties of the officers to the company. Though if he has sole control of the company, this is likely a non-issue. I don't know the structure of the company.

you sure are talking like someone who wants government regulation on what we can and cannot do with businesses we own and create and operate.
    Not at all. I feel the government grossly interferes with and over-regulates the lives of the people far too much. That does not mean I think we can disregard the laws that are in place.

We have a duty as citizens to abide the laws that are made, and to fight to prevent or overturn those which are unjust.

Nothing is selfish in a capitalistic market.
    Again, you and I mush have severely different moral values...

Are we certain that the cost to ultrasound (not really an Xray) of the cannon wasn't passed on to the owner of the cannon? As far as the M203, regardless of the type of entity, sole proprietor, LLC/partnership, or corporation, the object purchased definately had a business purpose. Certainly I was not the only one that noticed an entire wall or two of AR based rifles. It could be resold upgraded or whatever to turn a profit later.

Most gun shops have cash on hand to purchase things that happen in the door. All with the anticipation that they will be turned for a profit. If you can't afford to purchase inventory you don't need to be in business. The dad obviously built the business well enough to get it on a Discovery series. BTW, they probably generate plenty of money from the series to keep the shop afloat and then some, regardless of what profit they turn from the sales of guns. The griping about needing money for X is simply to add drama to the series. Noone's jobs are at stake.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Are we certain that the cost to ultrasound (not really an Xray) of the cannon wasn't passed on to the owner of the cannon? As far as the M203, regardless of the type of entity, sole proprietor, LLC/partnership, or corporation, the object purchased definately had a business purpose. Certainly I was not the only one that noticed an entire wall or two of AR based rifles. It could be resold upgraded or whatever to turn a profit later.

Most gun shops have cash on hand to purchase things that happen in the door. All with the anticipation that they will be turned for a profit. If you can't afford to purchase inventory you don't need to be in business. The dad obviously built the business well enough to get it on a Discovery series. BTW, they probably generate plenty of money from the series to keep the shop afloat and then some, regardless of what profit they turn from the sales of guns. The griping about needing money for X is simply to add drama to the series. Noone's jobs are at stake.

I just re-watched it. It seems he did buy it with his own money (or what would be his own). When he showed it to his daughter, he told her "this is my overtime pay for the next few weeks".

I know I've told my wife the same thing on numerous occations!

And I would hope they billed the cannon's owner for the ultrasound. They guy bought a quarter million dollar cannon!

But what I wouldn't give to go play in that shop for a day...

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Is Everyone Watching the new "Sons of Guns" TV Show on the Discovery Channel ? -VIDEO

This is by far the most fun new TV series to come out this year, in my opinion. It is a reality show sort of in the same style as the popular series "Pawn Stars".

The show is all about a small family owned company called "Red Jacket Firearms" in Baton Rouge, LA. The company basically makes highly custom tactical rifles and shotguns, for both civilians and also for government sales.

If you love tactical rifles or shotguns, you will absolutely go bananas watching this show. The owner of the company, Will, is an ex-Marine, and a real down to earth, no nonsense kind of guy. His young daughter Stephanie is in charge of sales, and does a lot of the shooting demonstrations of guns for clients.

The show also features the 3 key gunsmiths who work at the shop. Two of them specialize in tactical weapons, while a third is into making sporting arms.

You should see all of the cool defensive rifles and shotguns this group produces. One of their AR-15 specialities is a .45 caliber conversion with a suppressor that is virtually silent. They do all sorts of neat AK-47 configurations. And their Saiga shotguns customizations are awesome too.

And they do a number of special projects too. In last week's episode, they built a reproduction of a WWII flame thrower, in honor of a still living Marine who won a Congressional Medal of Honor at Iwo Jima using flamethrowers. This marine, Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams, was featured in the episode, talking about his exploits during the battle. He is one of the few surviving Medal of Honor winners from WWII that is still alive, and it was a real treat to see him and hear him speak.

In tonight's episode, Will brought in some consultants, to help them build a fully automatic M2 .50 BMG from parts that Will had managed to purchase. This really gave viewers a chance to see the insides of a M2.

The show is on the Discovery Channel every Wednesday night. If you have Comcast cable, you can use their On Demand menu to view any episodes that you have missed. Tonight's show was only episode 3 of this brand new TV reality series.

Anyway, I thought that I should mention this new TV program here, in case anyone has not heard about. If you love black rifles and black shotguns, this show will really be for you!

Here is a link to the show's website on the Discovery Channel:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/sons-of-guns/

And here is a link to the Red Jacket Firearms company website:

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/

Finally, here is a video of Stephanie giving a tour of the Red Jacket Firearms showroom, showing their most popular tactical rifle and shotgun configurations:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links