Glock 27 Gen. 3 vs. Gen. 4

This is a discussion on Glock 27 Gen. 3 vs. Gen. 4 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here are my choices: Glock 27 Generation 3 $495.00 Glock 27 Generation 4 $525.00 Is there a difference in these other than the RTF finish? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 Gen. 3 vs. Gen. 4

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Glock 27 Gen. 3 vs. Gen. 4

Here are my choices:

Glock 27 Generation 3 $495.00
    Glock 27 Generation 4 $525.00

Is there a difference in these other than the RTF finish? This would be my 1st Glock. I wanted something in .40 for EDC and this seems to fit the bill.

Opinions appreciated!

D~
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I see the 27 as a CCW primarily, not a duty/battle handgun. That means concealed under clothing possibly IWB. That means the RTF against your skin, either rubbing you raw on your bare skin or eating up your shirts. It will abrade clothing eventually and eat holes in your clothes, its simple physics. The Gen 4 also has removable back straps.

So if your hands fit it fine, go with the gen 3.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Gen 4 RTF isn't that aggressive, more toned down than the RTF2 that was out for a short while and was rough, almost prickly. Handle the RTF and you'll either like it or not.

You might find the Gen 4 grip more adaptable to your hand via the interchangeable backstraps. Another try it first deal. I haven't ssen the 27 Gen 4 yet, but it probably has a reversable mag release, if you're a leftie, otherwise... Once you've held both, you'll figure out which you prefer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My gen 4 G23 came with 3 mags. I think the gen 3's only come with 2.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My gen 4 G23 came with 3 mags. I think the gen 3's only come with 2.
    Rollo, how is the textue on the new guns? Are they too abrasive for carry, or catch your clothing?

Gen 4,
    1. dual recoil spring assembly
    2. reversible extended magazine catch
    3. RTF3 finish
    4. Modular back straps (SF, Normal, Large).

Another note: Apparently the gen 4 is sized slightly different. For me that would be what makes the difference.
    Alot of holsters out there that are made for Glocks will fit multiple Cals & models. For instance. Holsters that fit Glock 17,19,26 will also fit G22,23,27 & G31,32,33.
    I own a Gen 3 Glock 23. If I wanted to use the same holster, I would have to stay with a gen 3 G27.
    If you plan on getting any other Glocks in 9mm, .40S&W, .357Sig & using the same holster, go with Gen 3. IF NOT, or you don't mind getting another holster, then go with the Gen 4.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by coolfrmn View Post
    Another note: Apparently the gen 4 is sized slightly different. For me that would be what makes the difference.
    Any input on this "slightly different, other than what the backstraps night change? As in width or length? I would expect the grip width (front to back) dimensions to be varying with backstraps.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Any input on this "slightly different, other than what the backstraps night change? As in width or length? I would expect the grip width (front to back) dimensions to be varying with backstraps.
    From what I've heard , the grip appears to have a thinner grip from front to back with the smallest backstrap on it. The medium backstrap is apparently equivalent to the Gen3 grip. This is from a review I read recently.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Rollo, how is the textue on the new guns? Are they too abrasive for carry, or catch your clothing?
    I find the texture on the sides quite comfortable. The texture on the finger grooves is a bit uncomfortable after prolonged range sessions of more then 200 rounds. I have not found it abrasive to carry or had any issues with it griping my clothes.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    From what I've heard , the grip appears to have a thinner grip from front to back with the smallest backstrap on it. The medium backstrap is apparently equivalent to the Gen3 grip. This is from a review I read recently.
    The back strap system isn't like other guns with interchangeable back straps. You can carry it with no back strap or add a back strap to make the grip wider from front to back. With no back strap the grip is noticeably less wide from front to back.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    If one does not like the texture on any of the Baby Glocks, you can easily address that by installing a Limbsaver Pro Handgun grip on the pistol. These feel absolutely fantastic, and I have them installed on a number of my pistols. Just spending $10 will transform the grip on your pistol:

Rollo is correct about the RTF as far as I'm concerned. I started carrying a GEN 4 17 back in March, & am now carrying a GEN 4 19. The abrasiveness of the grip is not enough to cause me any discomfort when carried against the skin, nor has it worn any holes in any of my shirts.

It's actually very comfortable, as compared to the original RTF finish. And the new grip angle makes the new GEN 4 my preferred Glock(s) of choice.

To be 100% honest though, the Glock doesn't get as much carry time as my Ruger P345 though. The girlfriend claimed the G19 almost as soon as I got it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by coolfrmn View Post
    Gen 4,
    1. dual recoil spring assembly
    2. reversible extended magazine catch
    3. RTF3 finish
    4. Modular back straps (SF, Normal, Large).

Alot of holsters out there that are made for Glocks will fit multiple Cals & models. For instance. Holsters that fit Glock 17,19,26 will also fit G22,23,27 & G31,32,33.
    I own a Gen 3 Glock 23. If I wanted to use the same holster, I would have to stay with a gen 3 G27.
    If you plan on getting any other Glocks in 9mm, .40S&W, .357Sig & using the same holster, go with Gen 3. IF NOT, or you don't mind getting another holster, then go with the Gen 4.

Every holster I ever bought for my GEN 3 Glocks has worked for my GEN 4's as well. It's the grip angle that has changed, not the size.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

This is good to know as I am preparing to purchase the gen 4 but had reservations about the texture being too aggressive .

To reply about the slight width change. I don't have first hand knowledge of any width difference. BUT, ...when I was looking for a IWB holster for my Gen 3 G23. The companies were advertising they would not fit the Gen 4 pistols.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=102

Ooopsss.... I just read that it is the Gen 4 G34/35 that doesn't fit. My misreading.......

Carry on soldier, my mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links