Anyone ever buy a gun for sentimental reasons?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever buy a gun for sentimental reasons? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The reason I ask is because while my father was in the army, he carried an M-1 carbine. I hope to utilize the cmp program ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever buy a gun for sentimental reasons?

Anyone ever buy a gun for sentimental reasons?

The reason I ask is because while my father was in the army, he carried an M-1 carbine. I hope to utilize the cmp program to acquire one of these rifles. Would love to here your sentimental reasons behind a past or present gun purchase.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I don't usually buy them for sentimental reasons, but I've kept them for sentimental reasons.

Yes. Once my brother-in-law had pawned two guns which belonged to his father and then ended up losing them because he couldn't pay the interest. My wife was pretty upset about that because she had gotten very little which belonged to her father when he died, and her brother got all his guns. So I went down to the pawn shop and paid their asking price to get the break open engraved Beretta shotgun and an engraved Winchester Centennial Edition model 94 lever action that belonged to her dad. It cost me a hell of a lot more than he had pawned them for.

We were more than a little ticked off that he pawned them in the first place as we had offered to buy them directly from him in order to keep them in the family. He said he intended to keep them, but merely fell behind in the pawn payments. Over the years he sold off several other guns he had of his dad's, but we just didn't have the money to get them back.

It's been a sore subject ever since between me and my brother-in-law, but at least my wife now has a couple of her dad's guns.

We also have a High Standard Sport King target pistol which belonged to her dad. Her mom did give that gun to her after he died. However, the gun came with three different sized barrels, and somehow her brother ended up with two of the barrels for the target pistol when he got the other guns from his mom. Because he didn't have the gun, and didn't know where it went, he sold the four inch and the eight inch barrels at a swap meet. So that's another sore subject. But at least we have the gun with the six inch barrel.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Cool

My avitar is a sentimental purchase. I had one several years ago and had to sell it for economic reason. I have never had a pistol that feels so good in my hand nor one that I have shot any better than the P-35. The old style Bianchi Professional model holster was purchased also to complement the 1964 Hi Power.

P01094610.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    The reason I ask is because while my father was in the army, he carried an M-1 carbine. I hope to utilize the cmp program to acquire one of these rifles. Would love to here your sentimental reasons behind a past or present gun purchase.
    Yes indeed. In fact I got an M1 Garand for the same reason you listed, and from the same source. Shoots great, used it on a high-powered rifle team. I will never part with it until it is bequeathed to one of my sons.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

People buy cars for sentimental reasons, why not guns.

I'm currently looking for a Colt Trooper in 357, my dad carried one when he was a LEO back in the early 70's.

I feel ya on this.

VIP Member
    I'd love to get the rifle my dad carried during WWII, but there is no way I could afford a BAR.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd love to get the rifle my dad carried during WWII, but there is no way I could afford a BAR.
    If you're ever down this way, I'll be happy to let you shoot this one.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    When my Dad was growing up prior to WWII, his father had a Winchester Mod '97, they all hunted with it. When my grandfather died in the late 50's, the other son, my uncle, got the gun. I'll never get my grandfathers Model 97, but I did buy two just like his. I really like them. So yes, I did buy a gun for sentimental reasons.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I bought a Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 this past summer like the one I had when I was a teenager. I loved that gun and sold it like a dummy in college. Been kicking myself ever since. I now have another and I LOVE it. This one was made in July 1948 amd is in outstanding condition...actually better than the one I had then.

My Dad gave me the nightstand gun of the pastor that baptized me as a kid. He died at the age of 94 a year or so ago, and the H&R 922 revolver was his nightstand gun for many years. I have several others my Dad gave me that I'll keep.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My mother bought my father a Ruger Mark I for a wedding present. it hasn't been fired in 49 years. They celebrate 50 years on April 29th, he and I will take it out of the safe to go shooting, then I am inheriting it. It will be given to my daughter and granddaughter. that will never leave the family.

You might not buy a gun for sentimental reasons, but you surely keep one for sentimental reasons.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Pistols I just had to have:

• P-38: from watching too much Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    • PPK: from watching too many James Bond movies

sentimental reasons?
    99.5% of all the guns I own! either were bought for sentimental reason, or are family guns that have been in my family for a while; the only non-sentimental gun I own is my EDC

This past summer I bought a Norinco .22lr bolt action rifle from my cousin that he bought from my grandmother shortly after our grandfather passed away. I overpaid for it by about double, (so did he I figure) but I don't care. It was my Pa's and my cousin really needed the money. Hadn't been shot in the twenty years my cousin had it and I fixed that very quickly!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links