Back in the scene and a lil embarassed!

This is a discussion on Back in the scene and a lil embarassed! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So long story short... haven't shot in nearly 3 years. I just recently decided to put together my CCW setup and with my tax returns ...

Thread: Back in the scene and a lil embarassed!

So long story short... haven't shot in nearly 3 years. I just recently decided to put together my CCW setup and with my tax returns I did just that. So I am now the proud owner of a full size S&W M&P 40 and waiting for my Crossbreed Supertuck.

Here's how I did on my first mag @ 7 Yds.:

I dunno if its me or the gun but seems to be shooting a bit to the left. To top things off a bit of the sight paint came off the front. Guy at the shooting range said its not that uncommon of a thing. I cant find anything wrong with the gun, but im not sure in love yet (only shot WWB 165gr) Critique my target and tell me how bad I did! I feel like I suck bad! lol

What kind of gun are you using?

Are you shooting right handed or left handed? And with what kind of stance?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

S&W M&P .40 Full Size. Right Handed, Was using the Weaver for that first batch.

still looks like a dead guy @ 7yds. Want an eye opener, put a t-shirt in front of the target and start shooting, you might feel better about what you have there.

Is that a full size B27 or a reduced size target?
    What time frame were the fourteen rounds fired in?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Is that a full size B27 or a reduced size target?
    What time frame were the fourteen rounds fired in?
    Pretty sure its reduced size. The rounds were fired taking me sweet time. Seemed like I did a lot better hitting center mass rapid firing. Heres another target that I shot. Probably way to many rounds on this paper to be of any use but most of the shots on pink were placed rapid firing.

I sure don't see any problem with that. Personally, I would raise my point of aim a few inches, regardless of where the bull is.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

If you haven't shot in around 3 years, you didn't do bad. Just a suggestion, try putting the front sight over what you want to hit, rather than what you want to hit above the front sight. After I got that figured out on my SA XD40 SC, it hits exactly where I want it to. I was low the first time. Oh, and I had that point given to me on this forum, so there is good information to be had here.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

That really isn't too bad, but try to focus on a slow and steady squeeze on the trigger. If possible, put a snap cap randomly in a mag at the range, that will show you if you are jerking the trigger.

Also make sure you are pushing with your shooting arm, not just pulling with the support hand.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for the pointers. Will have another go at it next weekend. :)

Unload, check, check, and triple check the thing. Rack the slide, point it in safe direction (maybe in bedroom of somewhere safe) and with "both eyes open" slowly squeeze the trigger. You will be able to see if you pulling/pushing the gun and not keeping it perfectly still and level. I would guess you're pulling down and to the left when pulling the trigger. This helped me tremendously and I have since came to realize I shoot more accurately with "any" handgun when both eyes are open. I only close one for target/long-distance shooting or a rifle shot. With both open, you will actually see the side of the gun trying to move and it will help you keep it level. Make sure to wear good shooting glasses.

Practice more, I've heard one of our local instructors say many times that .40, due to the power of the round, will go low and left for occasional shooters.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Pistol shooting ain't like riding a bicycle... it's a perishable skill. You did well for being away for 3 years, and picking up a new gun!

In the spirit of "aim small, miss small," you might try hanging a paper plate for a target if your range lets you. Compared to a large-format target like the one you used, your mind may focus better on the smaller image. It can be a confidence-builder. You still need the silhouette/humanoid targets to help you differentiate between body areas you shooting at (i.e., COM vs head), but it might be helpful as a training aid.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not bad a few got away but like others have said practice your stance your grip, get the feel for the trigger. Buckeye mentioned snap caps which is a good way to see if you flinching or pulling the gun off target ? There only about 4 or 5 bucks . good luck

First target looks like it might be too little trigger finger. Instead of pulling straight back, it makes you roll your wrist over. Get a little more finger on there and pull straight back. Dry fire practice helps too, just be very careful. Check, check, check that it's unloaded.

Another possibility is anticipation of recoil and pushing the barrel down to compensate.

When you go rapid fire you may be getting a stronger grip and unintentionally correcting these issues. Practice will help a lot.

This target might give you some ideas.

http://users.rcn.com/gwhite/DIAGNOSE.PDF
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links