Deer Gun question...

This is a discussion on Deer Gun question... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Going to get a new Slug barrel for my REM 1100 12 GA for next season... I notice there are two types for the most ...

Thread: Deer Gun question...

Deer Gun question...

Going to get a new Slug barrel for my REM 1100 12 GA for next season... I notice there are two types for the most part Smooth to shoot grooved Slugs and Rifled to shoot smooth slugs. I have no idea of the pros or cons of each, can any one shed light that would help decide???

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I were to buy one for hunting with slugs only (I have an 1100 too), I'd opt for the rifled barrel as the selection of sabot slugs in many designs and weights make it a more accurate and viable hunting shotgun. If you intend to use it with buckshot, I think the smoothbore would be better.

I've shot "rifled" slugs before and was impressed with the accuracy (within its reasonable range).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If I were to buy one for hunting with slugs only (I have an 1100 too), I'd opt for the rifled barrel as the selection of sabot slugs in many designs and weights make it a more accurate and viable hunting shotgun. If you intend to use it with buckshot, I think the smoothbore would be better.

I've shot "rifled" slugs before and was impressed with the accuracy (within its reasonable range).
    I do plan on slug only for this barrel; I have several barrels already including a 28 mod choke I used for buck shot with great effect.... Was thinking of using slugs to go pig hunting next year where hand guns are not allowed in one area thus my normal 44mag Pig hunting gun is out of the question...

Yep, go for the fully-rifled barrel, and with the cantilevered scope mount if you can afford it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    As others already mentioned, get a rifled barrel. And then feed the gun Winchester's 12 GA. SUPREME ELITE™ XP3™ SABOT SHOTGUN SLUG load. It is the most accurate slug load on the market for rifled barrels, and has outstanding velocity.

It generates almost 3,000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle, and still delivers close to 2,000 ft/lbs at 100 yards.

I agree with the sabot slugs, they are the most accurate (out to 200 yards they say). They are pretty expensive though, about $15 for a pack of five I think. Rifled slugs are less than $4 last I checked.
    I agree with the comment to go with a rifled barrel with a cantilever; that's a nice setup.

Second what mandalitten says about the price. Every sabot slug I've seen has cost significantly more than the rifled slugs do. That being said, they extend your effective range quite a bit and since you only plan to hunt with it there's probably no need to buy too many boxes of the stuff, so I see little downside. The only other problem I might have would be that you really can't shoot anything other than the sabot slugs in the rifled barrel, but if that's all you ever intend to do then I'd say go with it.

I shoot a Remington 11-87 for deer hunting in an area where only shotguns are allowed. The barrel I use is a smooth bore cantilevered slug barrel with a screw in Remington "special sabot" rifled choke. I sight it in at 75 yards to shoot about 1" high using a red dot scope. Even with the zero magnification of the red dot, I can put 3 shots into a standard sized paper plate at that range. For buckshot, I use the same barrel with a "Buck Kicker" #00 buck choke. This choke from the 24" barrel will put 13 to 15 pellets in a 20" circle at 40 yards. I have found that with either buckshot or slugs, my 11-87 prefers Federal premium shells. These are not the new "flite control shells, but the older copper plated Federal premiums. The slugs are the 3" Federal Hydra-skoks. The Winchester sabots are a close second. For buckshot, Remingtons are second best and my 11-87 doesn't like Winchesters at all.You have to experiment to see which brand your gun shoots the best.

Honestly though, you don't really want to shoot a lot with the sabot slugs because the kick like a *******. You won't shoot more than 1-2 boxes at the time once it's sighted in IMHO. Get a scope with good eye relief if you are getting a scope.

Rifled.

I handload my slugs. They are sabot (say-bo) and get an inch and a half at 50 yards from a rifled barrel. Were I not handloading, I'd shoot the Federal sabots from a rifled tube.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yep, go for the fully-rifled barrel, and with the cantilevered scope mount if you can afford it.

I was pressed with this dillema years ago, and while searching for a slug barrel for my winchester 1200, I found that it actually was more feasible to just go and take an additional $150, or so and go buy another shotgun, so that is what I did.
    I picked up a Mossberg 500, 12 ga. with the rifled barrel/cantilever scope mount (you mount a scope right to the part of the barrel that rides neatly over the reciever, and comes off when you switch barrels), and a smooth bore 28 in vented barrel for around $350.
    That was back in 1993 though, don't know what they'ed be now.

I put a cheap tasco scope on it, bore sighted it took it to my range, set up target and at 65 yards the dang thing shot 3in. apart for a 3 shot group, with one in the bullseye!

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=84703
    Here is a link to able ammo's site with the shotgun I have.
    Mine is minus the customizable comb attatchment, but this does not have the 28 in. smoothbore barrel with it.
    For $316 though, this is still not a very bad deal, and you have ANOTHER firearm/toy!!!!

Here is a page for midwest gunworks, which has slug barrels for your 1100.
    $265 for an iron sight barrel, and $310 for the cantilever scope mount barrel.http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...n-1100-barrels
    Your Choice.
    Me, I'd buy another gun for around the same price
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I was pressed with this dillema years ago, and while searching for a slug barrel for my winchester 1200, I found that it actually was more feasible to just go and take an additional $150, or so and go buy another shotgun, so that is what I did.
    I picked up a Mossberg 500, 12 ga. with the rifled barrel/cantilever scope mount (you mount a scope right to the part of the barrel that rides neatly over the reciever, and comes off when you switch barrels), and a smooth bore 28 in vented barrel for around $350.
    That was back in 1993 though, don't know what they'ed be now.
    Well, I sorta did one of each. I started with an 18" rifle-sighted barrel for my 870, and it had the screw-in rifled "choke". It was more accurate than a complete smoothbore, and the sights certainly helped, but the 2-3 inches of rifling in the choke didn't really add that much to performance. Sabot slugs were no more accurate than the conventional type in that rig, and I just wasn't satisfied with it. Plus, I hunted some heavy woods where a scope was a real asset. I couldn't see dropping hundreds more money into fully-rifled Hastings barrel with a cantilever mount, and I don't care for the scope mounts that use the receiver take-down pins. The next season ('02) I found some dough and got a dedicated slug gun, a solid-framed Savage 210F with full rifling and a decent scope to go with it, about $400 total. With good sabot slugs, that gun can shoot!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

thanks for all the info.... it does appear the riffled barrel would win over all, I am 99.99% sure that is the way I will be going, this barrel will only be used for hunting in a no-handgun / no HP rifle area so the overall cost of ammo is not likely to sway my opinion.

Thanks to all who shared the advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine is rifled and very accurate

Links