Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS??

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Check with your FFL to make sure you're not going to get burned with a transfer fee when it returns....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS??

Check with your FFL to make sure you're not going to get burned with a transfer fee when it returns.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

UPS prides itself on efficiency, you would think the people at the counters would have the policies and procedures available at their computer terminals
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I've shipped firearms to and received from via UPS a number of time to mfrs. and from.
    I've never had an issue.

But...

I also do not state nor indicate on the package that the item inside is a gun (!).
    I do this for my own sake as to not have the box come up missing as stolen, which does happen for both UPS and FedEx.
    Normally I will field strip the gun ad stow the now 'Metal Parts' as in either the OEM case or in protective Ziploc bags and from there box them up.
    As well I will not ship them to an address that state Colt Gun Company or Joes Gun & Hunting Shop. I use abbreviations and/or the name of the specific person I am working with.
    I've had RMAs as well from both Sig and SA using both Fedex and UPS toward returns....I use the same policy and insure the metal parts for their replacement value.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I use the same policy and insure the metal parts for their replacement value.
    I hope you never have to file a claim for your "metal parts" if they turn up missing. Your violating the shippers policies for acceptance of your shipment, your claim would be instantly denied. On a personal level, this is tantamount to fraud IMHO. If you cannot follow the shippers procedures, which aren't that difficult, don't ship with them.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Pack in a free FedEx Express box and weigh at home, prepare a label online, notify the person at the FedEx counter that the package contains a firearm and off it goes, no problem. UPS probably works just as well, I would rather give my business to FedEx.
    I have to agree. I sent my redhawk back to Ruger via FedEx. I done the shipping on-line, called FedEx for a pickup, told them it was a firearm. They said it would be picked up between X and X, please tell the driver it contains a firearm. That was it. Zero problems.

One note - when I done the shipping, and paid with a credit card, it gave a rather high charge. However, the actual shipping charges billed to my credit card was quiet a bit less.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    That's a very good point to mention to not address the package to a name that is an obvious gun store or gunsmith. Sort of hard to do when shipping to an actual firearms manufacturer, though.

My Fed Ex package did arrive fine. But I did insure it for the full replacement value of the handguns, just to be safe.

Now I have to live without many of my favorite pistols for several weeks.

Boo Hoo!!

I have shipped one gun Fed Ex and one gun through UPS and had no problems with either.

I have shipped one gun Fed Ex and one gun through UPS and had no problems with either.

UPS

In my opinion, UPS is terrible! Im dealing with them RIGHT NOW, as this thread progresses. My PF-9 wasnt fixed by the parts the Kel-Tec sent so they sent me a label and said to ship it to them and they would take care of it. Its been a quirky gun for me so far but as an aside to UPS, Kel-Tec's customer service has been stellar.

So, Monday, Kel-Tec sends a notice that my weapon was shipped overnight and would be here by 3 on Tuesday. Problem is, we get struck by a storm with ice and snow and all sorts of junk. Fine. I can deal. But the ice has thawed and at least twice its been on the truck "out for delivery". It has to be signed for, which means each day I essentially can't leave. Even with them having my number I can't go far. When it doesn't show by 7 the website updates it to show delivery for sometime the next day. Well no kidding! For two days now the website has shown my package to be back at the hub and essentially will be delivered later, once the weather is clear? I called and FINALLY got to speak to a human on Thursday. I was told that if it didnt arrive on one day, it might arrive the next, they didnt know where it was, couldnt find it and couldnt tell me when it might be arrive, IE, when I might need to make sure Im home. They couldn't even tell me when deliveries for my area where over so i could leave and go more than 10 miles. Like I said, I understand a weather delay but if it was due to ship that day, seems like it should have been the first to get caught up on. I hate to miss it and wait for the next round of deliveries because at this rate it's going to be an antique when it arrives. Hey, anyone going to be interested in a 25 years old PF-9 that allegedly has been fixed and running fine?

In short, its just another snag in the story of "My PF-9 and How Frustrating the Whole Thing Has Been."

At this point, if I can NOT use UPS, my choice will be anything thats NOT UPS, providing it fits the bill for what Im shipping.

In hindsight, I should be surprised, its does say "OOOPS" on the side of the truck.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links