Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS??

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had the most frustrating experience this week trying to ship some guns though UPS. In one case, I wanted to ship a rifle to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS??

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Anyone Else Ever Have a Horrible Experience Trying to Ship Guns Through UPS??

I had the most frustrating experience this week trying to ship some guns though UPS. In one case, I wanted to ship a rifle to a forum member here via a FFL near him. In another case, i wanted to ship some handguns to have a gunsmith do some work on them. These are things that are legal to do.

Well, the long bearded dude at my local UPS office was clueless, and told me that they could only do business with a FFL, and that private citizens could not ship firearms under any circumstances. I looked at the UPS website, though, and saw that is NOT what their website says!!

So I called the UPS 800 customer service number, and got a young sounding lady who was even more clueless than the guy at the local counter. She insisted that UPS never does any business with private citizens shipping firearms. She claimed that a supervisor had recently told her this at a meeting.

Efforts on my part to point out that the info on UPS website contradicted what she was telling me fell on deaf ears.

So I totally gave up on using UPS, and decided to ship the rifle through the Post Office instead. I spoke to a man at my local USPS office, and verified that I was good to go in bringing the rifle in for shipment to a FFL. However, when I did bring the rifle in, I got a lady clerk, and she told me that she has only ever dealt with FFL dealers, and would have to check with superiors to see if it was legal for me to ship a rifle through the Postal Service to a FFL dealer.

Fortunately, the man that I had spoken to earlier in the week was also in the office, and he quickly set her straight that what I was doing was OK. And I proceeded to ship the rifle.

For shipping the handguns to get them worked on, I ended up taking them to Federal Express, as I was totally fed up talking to so many ignorant people at UPS. I could not deal with them anymore at that point, and cringed at the thought of how the folks at Fed Ex might possibly treat me. Well, the guy at the counter of my local Fed Ex office turned out to be totally cool, and gave me no problem at all in shipping my handguns. Boy, did I ever feel relieved that my experience with UPS was not repeated at Fed Ex.

So the idiots at UPS that I had spoke to earlier ended up costing their company getting any of my business, which ended up going to their competitors instead.

Has anyone else had such bad experiences like I had this week, where customer service people working in the shipping business don't even know what the rules are for shipping guns?

2. Remove Ads

Lance - idiots abound.

I am fortunate to have UPS and FedEx depots near my work address. The last time I had to ship a handgun, I selected FedEx because they were substantially cheaper at the time. I went to their web site, read everything there about shipping a handgun, then showed up with appropriately packaged gun at the counter. When I declared "this is a firearm," the nice lady asked, "is it disassembled?" Well, there was absolutely nothing in the FedEx rules about sending a disassembled gun, and I'd be dipped in brown sauce before I took that piece back home to break it down and re-package it. So - I told her "yes, it's been rendered inoperable." Not the precise truth, but since it was unloaded and had no magazine in the box, it was close enough.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nothing but praise for Fed Ex.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Pack in a free FedEx Express box and weigh at home, prepare a label online, notify the person at the FedEx counter that the package contains a firearm and off it goes, no problem. UPS probably works just as well, I would rather give my business to FedEx.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I had a similar experience UPS when I tried to ship a handgun out of state. I first confirmed with UPS that I could ship it, but when I went to a local branch to ship it they said they were not allowed. I showed them the policy, but they said they were not set up to handle it at that specific facility.... I think that was a lie and that they just didn't know how to do it and didn't want to deal with it, or maybe they were very anti gun... I then went to FedEx, and had a similar experience, but it wasn't until the day after they got back to me. The other problem with UPS/FedEx is that it has to be shipped overnight/next day delivery, and it's very expensive. I think FedEx quoted me $75-100. I took it to a FFL, who can ship it via USPS, and I think they charged me $30. A non-FFL can ship long guns with USPS, but not handguns. Handguns must be shipped by a FFL if they are shipped with USPS.
    Gunbroker has some good info here.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...spx?faqid=1118

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Lance - idiots abound.

I am fortunate to have UPS and FedEx depots near my work address. The last time I had to ship a handgun, I selected FedEx because they were substantially cheaper at the time. I went to their web site, read everything there about shipping a handgun, then showed up with appropriately packaged gun at the counter. When I declared "this is a firearm," the nice lady asked, "is it disassembled?" Well, there was absolutely nothing in the FedEx rules about sending a disassembled gun, and I'd be dipped in brown sauce before I took that piece back home to break it down and re-package it. So - I told her "yes, it's been rendered inoperable." Not the precise truth, but since it was unloaded and had no magazine in the box, it was close enough.
    There is no requirement to disassemble a handgun prior to shipping, only that it be unloaded. What if it were a revolver you were shipping? Would you disassemble it prior to shipping?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've never shipped a handgun through UPS always used FedEx, but the UPS store near me is knowledgeable of the rules. I was in there shipping a package for the wife, got to talking with the owner about shipping handguns. He knew the rules, of course he's a shooter too, so that probably made a difference.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've used UPS to ship a handgun back to the manufacturer before. The lady at the counter told me initially that she wasn't sure it was legal, and I quoted the exceptions from the GCA of 1968. I think the fact that I knew what the specific law was convinced her and she just took it with no problem. That was the only time (out of three shipments with that particular lemon gun) that they gave me a hard time at all.

Totally agree with previous experiences. I only ship FedEx!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

print the postage label online, then drop it on the counter and walk out.... thats how i do it.. no questions...

VIP Member
    I'll second the ops experience - most of the UPS store clerks are clueless. I have had several bad experiences in the stores even though the UPS Store policy is to accept the shipments. I even had one ignorant women tell me I could not ship a muzzleloader!

The UPS Customer Centers are a difference story. I have only had good experiences there. Personally, I think UPS does not care what happens in their stores. I'll take the advice of others on this this thread and go with FedEx next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I'll second the ops experience - most of the UPS store clerks are clueless. I have had several bad experiences in the stores even though the UPS Store policy is to accept the shipments. I even had one ignorant women tell me I could not ship a muzzleloader!

The UPS Customer Centers are a difference story. I have only had good experiences there. Personally, I think UPS does not care what happens in their stores. I'll take the advice of others on this this thread and go with FedEx next time.

If you check the UPS website, you will see that the UPS Stores will NOT accept firearms. You do have to take them to a UPS Customer Center.

My problem was that even a person at the Customer Center did not know the policy, nor a Customer Service person answering their 800 number either.

Training at UPS must really be bad for their employees to not even know their own corporate policies.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I think FedEx quoted me $75-100. I took it to a FFL, who can ship it via USPS, and I think they charged me $30. A non-FFL can ship long guns with USPS, but not handguns. Handguns must be shipped by a FFL if they are shipped with USPS.
    That is a very good point to make, that it is much cheaper to ship handguns through a FFL. Only drawback with that is that you then have to go back to your FFL to get the gun back, instead of having the convenience of having your gun sent directly back to you.

Next time I have to ship to handgun, I may well just do it through a FFL, and not bother with any of this again.

VIP Member
    UPS must have changed the policy at some point. Before my bad experiences, I had shipped firearms thru UPS stores on several occassions without incident. Only in the past few years have there been issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    UPS must have changed the policy at some point. Before my bad experiences, I had shipped firearms thru UPS stores on several occassions without incident. Only in the past few years have there been issues.

They have an informational page on their website that explains all of this. Yet, despite that, I still could not get either of the two UPS employees that I talked to admit that UPS allows individuals to ship firearms.

Here is what this webpage says about this subject:

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
    You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities).
    Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

Here is the webpage with the info on their policies:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links