Can anyone help me identify this gun?

This is a discussion on Can anyone help me identify this gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This gun was my grandfathers,he was a railroad station master way back when. My grandma said he carried it to work all the time for ...

This gun was my grandfathers,he was a railroad station master way back when. My grandma said he carried it to work all the time for protection. both have long since passed away. But I trying to clean off some of the rust and stains.
    Across the barrel it reads "Harrington and Richardson Arms",
    "Worcfster Mass USA"".38 S.&W. CTGE" I've seen guns similiar to this one but not exactly I would appreciate any info anyone might have on how to clean the rust and if you've eveDSC00055.jpgDSC00057.jpgr seen one like it before. It's a break top style.

I believe it was made about the same time S&W made the old top break "lemon squeezer", as they look close to the same style. It probably fires a 38 S&W, which is not to be confused with the 38 Special. The 38 S&W is a shorter weaker version of the special. I would have to look it up to be sure though. I believe it was catologed under the name "Auto Eject" and was chambered in 32 or 38 S&W.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    RUST REMOVAL:

Supplies

Gun oil
    A real COPPER penny- ck your pocket for an older penny- the new plated ones aren't nearly as effective or safe on an old finish you don't want to damage
    Bore cleaner for copper removal

Application

Oil on the surface for lubrication. Maintain a "WET EDGE" to keep the rust in suspension.
    Use the edge of the penny to literally scrape the rust off.
    You will notice the surface developing a copper sheen to it as the penny wears off.
    When the surface is smooth to the touch, use the bore cleaner to remove the copper sheen.
    Work a small area at a time.
    While not a rapid process, it is quite safe on most finishes.

I've used this process over the past few years with good results.
    Hope this helps.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

From Wikipedia, looks like you have an.....

H&R model 925 "Defender" (.38ctg five shot revolver 4" barrel - blued finish)

H & R was established in Worcester Massachussetts and produced loads of handguns. My step-son has an old H&R 9 shot .22 revolver and it still works great.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Thanks for the info, I'm not going to try and shoot it or anything, just wanted to clean it up and put it back in the safe. only problem i have really noticed is the cylinder doesnt lock in place it can turn either way when the trigger is squezzed.

I would have that checked out by a smith prior to firing. It may indicate excessive wear to either the cylinder slots or the ball of cylinder stop or both.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    RUST REMOVAL:

Supplies

Gun oil
    A real COPPER penny- ck your pocket for an older penny- the new plated ones aren't nearly as effective or safe on an old finish you don't want to damage
    Bore cleaner for copper removal.
    Any penny minted prior to 1982 is real copper, 1982 was the transition with some being made of copper and some copper plated zinc.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks for all the info, I didn't know about the penny trick, I'll have to give it a try, I would like to have the gun functioning but I'm guessing a replacement cylinder might be hard to come by.

Numrich is out of cylinders according to their site, but all the other parts are available. Shoud be no big deal to get it running and .38 S&W ammo is available and pretty mild.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

mkh
    I have on that looks almost exactly like that that belonged to my granddad. the only difference I see is my handles are black.

Mine says "For 38 SMITH & WESSON ctgs" on the top of the barrel and "SECRET SERVICE SPECIAL" on the side of the barrel. Nowhere could I find h&R's name. I have been told that several companies manufactured this type of weapon back in the '30s.

Distinguished Member
    I have one that looks exactly like this, pearl grip and everything (my dad called it pearl, what it is I don't really know). Mine is a 32 caliber Harrington and Richardson top break. I got a gun history book at the library and looked up about this type of gun. You can also google the info on the top of it.

It's a little freaky seeing that photo. My grandfather used it as security in his jewelry store.

I love having it. I'll see if hubby can take a photo and I can post it.

Distinguished Member
    2011-01-30_20-30-24_280.jpg

Oh good it worked. Here she is. I had a gunsmith clean it up a few years ago.

I was not ever able to find out much about this type of handle, which is just like Poppy's. Does anyone know what it is?

P.S. you might also look up Iver Johnson on google, you will find lots of these top breaks of this era. My dad referred to it as that, although it says Harrington and Richardson. Maybe he designed for them or some of his guns were manufactured by H&R.....don't know.
    Last edited by cammo; January 31st, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

H & R made some inexpencive handguns. Years back when I was working in a LGS, I sold quite a few of them. They were great shooters and were well made for the money. Now I wish I had a few of the ones I sold at the shop.
    Do a search on the web For Harrrington and Richardson, there is a lot of info on this old Company.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Beautiful Revolver...

70 years from now your grand and great grand children are going to be posting a picture of a glock saying "My grandma said he carried it to work all the time for protection. both have long since passed away. But I trying to clean off some of the rust and stains, anyone know anything about these so called Glocks?"
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I agree with the H&R 38 ID. My grandfather had one. As for rust removal, I've had success with this method.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Links